Family Road Trip -June: SFO >Yosemite>Sequoia>Coast 10+- days

Old Apr 8th, 2021, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all...

Background
Family of 4 (kids are 4 and 7) and we are planning a road trip to California in first week of June. Have approximately 10 days (flexible) and looking to def do Yosemite, Sequoia, San Fran, and maybe partial CA coast back up to SFO. We plan to fly in on/about May 29 but that's flexible. We REALLY want to do the TIOGA pass, but from reading I have seen that is unpredictable on opening dates. (I'm aware of the limited tickets for Yosemite on "on sale" dates. So have a few questions for anyone that has done similar and would GREATLY appreciate any advice....

Tentative Game Plan
Fly into SFO, 2 nights - Muir Woods, city, GG Bridge etc
Yosemite 3-4 nights - Rush Creek Lodge
TIOGA PASS
Sequoia Nat'l Park 3 nights - ??? Lodging
CA Coast 2 nights - Big Sur, ???

Questions
1) How long of a trip is sufficient? Planning to fly into SFO on May 29. Was thinking 2 nights SFO, 3-4 nights Yosemite (rush creek lodge?), 3 nights Sequoia Nat'l Park. Thoughts?
2) What do you think are chances are to drive the TIOGA pass? Do you think we should possibly flip the route and do CA Coast, Sequoia, then Yosemite? Or maybe push it back 4 days. I can't push it back too much tho.
3) Lodging: Has anyone stayed at Rush Creek Lodge near Yosemite? What about lodging near Sequoia Nat'l Park?
4) Anything else on the loop trip to stop and see?
5) Any recommendations specifically with the Kiddos on the trip?
6) How much do we lose by staying out of Yosemite ie. Rush Creek or similar vs. inside the Park?

I know I'm late, but I'm not staying in the park at Yosemite hopefully there is avail at lodging outside park.

Truly appreciate any insight/advice (even if it's DON'T DO IT, go here....)

THX in advance!

Last edited by nutshellml; Apr 8th, 2021 at 06:47 PM.
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 09:32 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
random thoughts:

• IMO Rush Creek Lodge wouldn't be a great place to stay for Yosemite. It is almost an hour's drive from Yosemite Village over a VERY winding road so if anyone tends to be 'urpy' in the car it would be miserable. It would be much better to stay in El Portal (Yosemite View Lodge or Cedar Lodge). They are on a much (MUCH) easier road.

• You can't drive from Seq/Kings Canyon over to and up the coast then through Big Sur because Hwy 1 is closed south of Big Sur. If you do go to Seq, I'd drive from there to Monterey/Carmel and stay in Monterey. From a base there you can visit Point Lobos, Big Sur, the Aquarium. mission, etc.

• I personally would not do Muir woods. -Crowded and strict timed reservations. Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park is better and in on your way from Monterey to SFO.
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 09:38 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
. . . meant to add -- I'd book at Yosemite View Lodge in El Portal with a cancelable reservation. Then keep trying for an opening at Yosemite Valley Lodge in the Valley. Because people book a year or more in advance - plans change and there are usually cancellations just about every day.

Worst case you be 'stuck' at Yosemite View Lodge which is is very nice, right on the river, on site restaurants and pools.

https://www.yosemiteresorts.com/yosemite-view-lodge/

And re Tioga Pass -- don't get your hearts set on it. This has been a fairly dry year so it might open early . . . but it is more than just getting the snow plows through. Once the snow is cleared they have to determine what damage needs to be repaired before they open the road.

Last edited by janisj; Apr 8th, 2021 at 09:40 PM.
Old Apr 9th, 2021, 06:39 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Great points by janisj. Just so you know: SFO is an airport and San Francisco is a expensive city to spend 3 nights in. I would consider flying in/out of Sacramento or Oakland. Sacramento (SMF) is right off I-5 and you can get to Yosemite at least an hour faster from there than SFO in a cheaper rental car. I don't know about this year but in past years, there has been bus service (YARTS) that runs from Merced into Yosemite Valley with stops including El Portal.
If the objective is to see a grove of big Sequoias, you do not have to go to Sequoia/Kings Canyon. The Mariposa Grove is in the southern end of Yosemite NP.
To see big Coast Redwoods, there are several places to see them south of San Francisco including Big Basin.
Old Apr 9th, 2021, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hwy 1 is now scheduled to reopen at the end of April but two nights in Monterey and dipping down into Big Sur is fine as well. It depends on whether you want to drive the entire Big Sur coastline but most of the sights people want to see are on the northern end.

For Sequoia/Kings Canyon, I would try to stay inside the park https://www.visitsequoia.com/ It's OK to split up your stay there as the park is spread out. From the Giant Forest to the bottom of Kings Canyon is 2 hours. You can also check Montecito Sequoia Lodge https://www.mslodge.com/ It's located in the national forest between Sequoia and Kings Canyon and operates as a summer camp but camp weeks won't have started yet so nightly reservations are available. Their rates include meals and a few activities onsite such as canoes for their small lake, archery, etc.

Big Basin is still closed but you can go to Henry Cowell. There are also coastal redwoods at Pfeiffer Big Sur.