Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Important- Ecuador visa for Indian passport holders

Old Mar 29th, 2021, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please know that there is NO VISA ON ARIVAL for Indian citizens living in USA coming into ecuador. You need a prior visa stamp in your pass port. I Just got kicked out after a painful 16 hr detention where I was treated as a criminal. The immigration is ‘not friendly’ very rude, unrmpathetic and unwilling to help out. They separated me from my family. They didn’t seem to care that I’m a tourist bringing in money to their economy.

if you are in any doubt regarding your visa requirements, don’t go there until you are 100% sure as they will not help you

Old May 24th, 2022, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by srbuffalo4431
Please know that there is NO VISA ON ARIVAL for Indian citizens living in USA coming into ecuador. You need a prior visa stamp in your pass port. I Just got kicked out after a painful 16 hr detention where I was treated as a criminal. The immigration is ‘not friendly’ very rude, unrmpathetic and unwilling to help out. They separated me from my family. They didn’t seem to care that I’m a tourist bringing in money to their economy.

if you are in any doubt regarding your visa requirements, don’t go there until you are 100% sure as they will not help you
I am an Indian passport visiting the US on a ten year multiple entry B1/B2 visa. Would it be possible for me to apply for a visa to Ecuador while I am in the US or is it mandatory to apply only from India? Asking because I am scheduled to travel to US in a couple of days and for some reason the Ecuador embassy in New Delhi cannot give me a visa appointment till middle of June, which is too late for me. Any advice in this regard will be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old May 25th, 2022, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by satyasagar
I am an Indian passport visiting the US on a ten year multiple entry B1/B2 visa. Would it be possible for me to apply for a visa to Ecuador while I am in the US or is it mandatory to apply only from India? Asking because I am scheduled to travel to US in a couple of days and for some reason the Ecuador embassy in New Delhi cannot give me a visa appointment till middle of June, which is too late for me. Any advice in this regard will be much appreciated. Thanks.
I doubt the Ecuadorian immigration authorities are remotely interested in what sort of visa you have for the US. As far as they are concerned you are an Indian citizen and are therefor subject to the rules for Indian citizens.

From Lonely Planet;

"Visitors from these countries (inc. India) must submit a visa application, a valid passport, at least one passport photo, an onward ticket and travel insurance. The application fee is US$50; once approved, the visa itself costs US$150. For current requirements, visa applicants should contact the Ecuadorian embassy in their home country."

You would need to check with an Ecuadorian Embassy in the US to ascertain whether they are able to issue visa for non US citizens.

Being a UK citizen, most countries allow us in visa free or a vis on arrival but I always make it a rule to check way in advance of any trip. Even more important these days when vaccination status, testing etc add a further layer of complexity.
Old May 25th, 2022, 03:54 AM

Thanks for the advice. The reason why the US visa is important is because the entire reason why Ecuador reintroduced a pre-arrival visa for Indians two years ago is because some Indians use Ecuador as a staging point to try and smuggle themselves into the US via Mexico. The other reason is that if one has a long term US visa you may be exempted from requiring to apply for the Ecuador visa from the home country i.e. India. Am checking with the Ecuador embassy in New York, as you have suggested.