Search

Greece or Bodrum Turkey for June 2021 Honeymoon

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2021, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greece or Bodrum Turkey for June 2021 Honeymoon

Hello,

I am getting married the first week of June 2021 and we are planning to go on a honeymoon right after. Greece or Bodrum Turkey? We don't want to spend a full week sitting on the beach and do not want overly touristy places / traps. We took a trip to the Amalfi coast (Ravello) and we loved that. Views are stunning, weather and food perfect and we could decide to do the beach one day or go into town / nearby town or do a water activity. We would like something like that. Obviously the least amount of Covid restrictions are now a big factor. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!
Old Mar 23rd, 2021, 11:48 AM

Congrats! It's probably too early for anyone to know what the covid restrictions are going to be come summer. I'd keep a close eye on news out of Greece, as they are one of the countries discussing vaccine passports and such. In Greece, I really liked the Peloponnese region because I could enjoy nature or go sightseeing, both were equally marvelous.
If you don't have to go right after the wedding, this might be a good year to plan that way. I really felt relief that I had a few weeks rest between my wedding and honeymoon. If I was going to plan a big trip this year, it would be fall and not summer, but I wish us all the best of luck!
Old Mar 23rd, 2021, 10:26 PM

Regardless of which destination you choose, be sure you pay for bookings, flights, hotels, rental cars, etc., that are 100% refundable in case your plans fall through because of the virus and related travel restrictions,.
Old Mar 23rd, 2021, 10:58 PM

Bodrum is a specific region, Greece is a whole country. Do you have a specific area in Greece in mind to make comparisons? My understanding is you plan to chose one destination and stay put, taking day trips if you want, but not changing bases. Is transport arrangements a key factor? You may want to have a look on how you plan to link from your place of residence to whatever destination and what are your options and how comfortable you are with it too. Maybe narrow it down a bit so people here in the forum could offer some ideas.

My best wishes for a prosperous, happy marriage and an awsome honeymoon : )
Old Mar 24th, 2021, 03:41 AM
Original Poster

We would like to depart right after our wedding and would like to pick one place and stay put (Bodrum or a Greek island- potentially Crete). We are not sure which potential Greek island, but I was told to consider Crete and stay away from Santorini and Mykonos.
Old Mar 24th, 2021, 05:17 AM

Hi mnowak,

Congratulations on your forthcoming wedding!

I’m curious as to why, of all the destinations in Turkey, you have singled out Bodrum.

As for Greece, you seem to have narrowed your choice to an island, overlooking all the wonderful places on the Greek mainland. Do you want a destination you can fly directly to from a local airport? It’s hard to advise on that point when we don’t know where you are travelling from.

As for Crete, the largest island in Greece, the main advantage for a non-beach vacation is that it has more of what you would find on the mainland than any other island. If you are flying from somewhere in Europe there are two airports, one at Heraklion and the other at Chania, that have direct flights from many countries.

Most of my trips to Greece have been to islands because I am a beach person. Were it not for that fact I would shun the islands and travel on the mainland. The Peloponnese is almost an island in itself, were it not for a narrow isthmus at Corinth. The Peloponnese has more historic sites than any island, and one of the prettiest and romantic cities in all of Greece. It would be a good place to base yourself, and it’s only two hours by road from Athens.
http://www.visitnafplio.com/
Old Mar 24th, 2021, 08:16 AM

I agree with Heimdall, whose knowledge of Greece is terrific - Nafplion would be an excellent place to stay, with access to so many sites and it has much to offer in the city as well. I really do like Crete, but it's a large island and you will still run into the same need to travel outside of whatever location you choose.

Remember that, as of now, you'll need negative covid tests before you return to the US in addition to the negative tests you'll need to get before you arrive in Greece.
Old Mar 24th, 2021, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Hi Heimdall thanks for the response. We do like the beach, a lot! But do not want to spend 10 days solely sitting on the beach. I was told that Bodrum is beautiful with lots to do and not that touristy. What are your suggestions? I have points with United to use so i'm guessing if we did Greece we would fly into Athens.

Thanks,
Old Mar 24th, 2021, 10:20 AM

I think Crete is a good choice given there are two airports and plenty to choose from among historical sites or nature.
I don't know anything about Bodrum, but I would also look at Antalya. I looked at planning a trip to that area of Turkey's coast and it looked like it would also offer both interesting cultural sites and pretty coastline.
I think at this point you both need to be looking at websites or in book to pick what appeals to you as your dream trip. We can offer up ideas, but if it does not inspire you, it's moot.
Old Mar 24th, 2021, 10:50 AM

Hi mnowak,

My only sight of Bodrum was across a narrow strait from the Greek island of Kos, so I can’t help you much there. It is a popular choice for Europeans who want a holiday in the sun. If I were thinking of Turkey I would be interested in Istanbul, Cappadocia, and Ephesus for their historic sights.

If you are from the USA as progol suggests, Turkey might be a good choice, as the European Union (EU), which includes Greece, is not allowing US citizens to travel there at the moment. That may seem unfair, but the USA is not allowing EU citizens to travel to the United States either. Hopefully that will be overturned before summer, but you don’t want to plan a honeymoon somewhere you may not be allowed to go.

A friend, who lived in the Southern Peloponnese at the time, invited me there for a visit. I was amazed by the number of beautiful villages and beaches along the coast, castles, Kalamata, a city surrounded by olive groves, and Ancient Messene, a huge archaeological site with hardly any visitors.

Nothing wrong with a Greek Island, though. If you want something smaller than Crete, which is so large it’s practically a country on its own, think about Naxos in the Cyclades island group. It’s quieter and more traditional than Mykonos and Santorini, but close enough to take a day trip or quick overnight to see why they are so busy. It’s also possible to take a day trip from Naxos to Paros and Antiparos, my favourite islands.

Last edited by Heimdall; Mar 24th, 2021 at 10:53 AM.
Old Mar 24th, 2021, 12:41 PM

Heimdall,
I’m a bit confused over the travel restrictions (aren’t we all?!). I’m sure I saw something recently about a proposal that all travelers, including those from the US, who are vaccinated, test negative or have documentation that they recovered from covid, will be welcome this summer. Now it sounds like that proposal was never finalized. Is that true? I thought I saw something this morning that said all travelers will be welcome, but now I can’t find anything verifying this. And I believe that Greece is under lockdown again due to increasing viral rates. Again, hard to know what the most recent news is since it changes from moment to moment!
Old Mar 24th, 2021, 01:35 PM

Progol, there are all sorts of stories in the media predicting when Americans and other nationalities will be allowed to travel to Greece, and announcements by Greek politicians that Greece will be open to tourism this summer. Indeed they might turn out to be true. The confusion, in part, is that Greece almost certainly will be open to other EU citizens, but not necessarily to Americans and other non-EU nationalities.

The official restrictions are the only ones that count, though, and I take stories in the media with a grain of salt. For those of you who don’t know, I am a US citizen who retired from the Air Force and now live in England. The official sources I have been monitoring are from the European Commission, and the US Embassy Athens for restrictions on US citizens travelling to the EU.

For the ban on European tourists travelling to the US I have been monitoring the Covid-19 page from the CDC. This is important, because of reciprocity. When one side removes the ban the other is likely to reciprocate.

These are the websites I’ve been monitoring:

https://www.etias.us/europe-travel-r...s-us-citizens/

https://www.etiasvisa.com/etias-news...y-restrictions

https://gr.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...countries.html

Last edited by Heimdall; Mar 24th, 2021 at 01:49 PM.
Old Mar 24th, 2021, 01:53 PM

Sorry, I’ve been having trouble with the links, so have made several edits, but think they are okay now. For the US Embassy Athens link the relevant info is in the “Entry and Exit Requirements” paragraph.
Old Mar 24th, 2021, 05:07 PM

Thanks so much, Heimdall. I’ve been following the news over the last few weeks and it did sound, at first, that the proposed summer travel openings for all travelers was official, but I now realize it was a proposal that may or may not be realized. I agree that reciprocity, and whether or not the current policy is changed, is very important for US citizens to be welcomed into Europe.

I appreciate the links and will follow them.

Last edited by progol; Mar 24th, 2021 at 05:11 PM.
Old Mar 24th, 2021, 09:45 PM

I'm not sure who told you otherwise, but Bodrum is very touristy. That said there's a lot there to see and do. Be sure to spend time in the Crusader Castle and the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus. If you take the mini bus about 30 minutes west you can find the lovely little seaside village of Gumusluk. I spent a week in Bodurm, which is interesting, but way to busy and crowded for my taste. I spent another week in Gumusluk, which I absolutely loved.

Last edited by brotherleelove2004; Mar 24th, 2021 at 09:48 PM.
Old Mar 25th, 2021, 12:44 AM

Bodrum has an international airport with cheap flights from all over Europe. If brotherleelove thinks Bodrum is too busy, reflect on the fact that his favourite island in Greece is Santorini. If you fly into Bodrum you don’t necessarily have to stay in that busy city. I’m sure there are many quieter resorts in that area known as the Turquoise Coast.
Old Mar 25th, 2021, 01:01 PM

Hi. We are also Americans and rescheduled our last year Turkey trip for this summer. We were spending 6 days in Istambul, 4 in Capodocia and then 12 in Kalkan where we have 2 days on a private gulet and perhaps a day trip to Meis in Greece if borders open. Looks like there is alot to do in and around Kalkan. Just some ideas and congrats.
Old Mar 28th, 2021, 08:42 AM

Apologies if this posted twice. I'm just returning to these forums after some time away. Anyway, just a FYI that we stayed in Bodrum a few years ago and it was the most boring destination of a wonderful two week trip to Turkey. If the choice is between
Bodrum and Greece, it's no contest!
Old Mar 29th, 2021, 02:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Consider Kas in lieu of Bodrum in Turkey. Less touristy, artsy, intellectual, creative food, great sights easily reachable by boat or rental car. Check Myra. Kekova, Patara on the web Conside flying to Dalaman instead of Antalya.

Another good option in Turkey is Kemer Club Med. beach, lots of activity, day trips, great views. can be very romantic. A tiny very private cove with beach as you walk towards your room. Was our honeymoon choice and we went there at least ten more times. Also favorite location of both daughters, now aged 35 and 40. Its bungalows and life style will be safer than any large luxury or small intimate hotel.