Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

ROAD TRIP/Route 66: CALIF; ARIZONA; NEW MEXICO; ARKANSAS; TEXAS

Old Mar 16th, 2021, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have ten days for a road trip from CA to ARK (roundtrip) and want to incorporate honoring family members who have passed in Arizona (Cochise, Bisbee, Douglas) and Texas (Dallas, Fort Worth, El Paso). Because we have limited time and $$ but want to make the most of our trip. I looked up teepee B&B but the rate doesn't seem exceptional, however, it would be amazing to be able to stay in fun places like that. Do you have any suggestions on must see sights, cheap places to sleep and cheap good food?

Old Mar 16th, 2021, 04:24 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Former long-time resident of Bisbee here - this might be a place you'd like to stay:

https://theshadydell.com/
Old Mar 16th, 2021, 05:04 PM

the Lonely Planet sells maps and info for Rt 66......also some websites www.theroute-66.com ___ http://www.roadtripper.com/the-ultim...66roadtrip.com _______there is a www.guidedroute66tours.com___they may be sold out
Old Mar 16th, 2021, 05:43 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK -- I love road trips but are you sure you want to cover that much territory in one 10 day go? You don't say where in CA nor where in Arkansas -- but just using LA and Little Rock as reference points . . . LA > Cochise > Bisbee > Douglas > El Paso > Ft Worth > Dallas > Little Rock and then straight back to LA via I-40/I-10 takes approx 60 hours car time (drive + minimal rest stops) - so with just meal stops that is close to 7 hours per day every day with no sightseeing/detours or anything.

Since you have limited time, why not just do the Arizona and El Paso bits this trip
Old Mar 16th, 2021, 08:14 PM

try www.roadtripusa.com/route-66_______highlights are Gateway Arch--Blue Whale of Catoosa---Cadillac Ranch---Oatman,AZ-----Santa Monica Pier----supposedly 2,448 miles from Chicago to Santa Monica----never drove all of ,parts are closed and the new road( I-40 W ) runs along side most of it.....
Old Mar 18th, 2021, 07:57 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
The old US 66 does not go into Arkansas. It does go across the SE corner of Kansas into Oklahoma. If you want to follow a couple stretches of the old road that is not covered by I-40, try the National Trails Highway between Victorville and Barstow California and from Kingman to Seligman Arizona.
Old Mar 20th, 2021, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by janisj
OK -- I love road trips but are you sure you want to cover that much territory in one 10 day go? You don't say where in CA nor where in Arkansas -- but just using LA and Little Rock as reference points . . . LA > Cochise > Bisbee > Douglas > El Paso > Ft Worth > Dallas > Little Rock and then straight back to LA via I-40/I-10 takes approx 60 hours car time (drive + minimal rest stops) - so with just meal stops that is close to 7 hours per day every day with no sightseeing/detours or anything.

Since you have limited time, why not just do the Arizona and El Paso bits this trip
I was thinking the same thing. Sounds pretty ambitious given the amount time they have. The last thing I'd want to do one vacation is spend the majority of the time on the road. I know it's a necessary part of a road trip of course, but that doesn't seem to leave much time to see the sights.
Old Mar 22nd, 2021, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for raising an alarm, we have decided to fly into Arkansas and drive home
Old Mar 22nd, 2021, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for raising an alarm, we decided to fly into Arkansas and drive from there. We are still hoping to hit all the areas listed in original post.
Old Mar 22nd, 2021, 11:42 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by donnae_b
Thank you for raising an alarm, we decided to fly into Arkansas and drive from there. We are still hoping to hit all the areas listed in original post.
That is a much more doable plan
Old Mar 22nd, 2021, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

pasandy91, in addition to your ideas I also looked up 5 of the strange and wonderful attractions along route 66 WOW - very cool
tomfuller - I am looking into the National Trails, interesting idea
MmePerdu - I love this place and will be booking a night here!

Change in plans... ten days for a ONE WAY road trip from ARK to CA incorporating Arizona (Cochise, Bisbee, Douglas) and Texas (Dallas, Fort Worth, El Paso) to honor family members who have passed.

If you know of an EPIC sight/event that is a must see/do, please let me know. Thank you.

Old Mar 22nd, 2021, 04:15 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
If you go by way of ElPaso, you'll have to drive north to Albuquerque to get back on the original US 66. 66 crossed the Texas panhandle through Amarillo.
There is a good Mother Road museum (free) in the basement of the old Harvey House in Barstow CA. The old Harvey House has the Amtrak platform for Barstow.
Going west from Seligman (pronounced se-LIG-man) Arizona on the old 66 you can stop to see the Grand Canyon Caverns. Turn off I-40 in California at Exit 107 to go on the original 66 AKA National Trails. It comes back to I-40 at exit 50 near Ludlow.
Old Mar 23rd, 2021, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

tomfuller - thank you!

We are getting excited about our trip and these tidbits, hidden gems, epic adventures will help! Thank you all!