Search

8 Nights in the Land of Volcanoes and Mayan Ruins- Fantastic Guatemala

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2021, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel_Williams
Thanks MinnBeef for this report.

Antigua was the first place I visited in Central America in 2016. I did a really enjoyable walking tour of the sites there. I hope the town is holding up in this age of CoVid, with such things as walking tours still going on and some of the great restaurants hanging in there. When I went there was a large tourist contingent, in particular I noticed from Australia and Europe, but also other parts of the Americas. I imagine those numbers are significantly diminished, although I was thinking that might give the town a different, possibly interesting vibe. (I could be wrong about this.) It was very much a party city when I was there, with more of a foreign tourist energy than other inland places in the region. I climbed Pacaya rather than Acatenango while there, roasting marshmallows (known as angelitos in Guatemalan Spanish) on volcanic rock. One of those amazing, unforgettable life experiences.

I was simply blown away by the stunning scenery of the region. I've been back to Guatemala City since but never Antigua... your report makes me want to go back. Thanks again.

Best wishes, Daniel Williams
My pleasure Daniel. Glad you enjoyed my report. There were very few obvious tourists that I saw in Antigua. I actually think that probably worked to my advantage in not experiencing the foreign-dominated party city that you experienced 5 years ago. Of course the downside is that it probably sucked some energy out of the city. Also, restaurants were required to close at 10:00 pm. The night I returned from Tikal, I got back to the city at 9:30 pm, just starving and unfortunately, restaurants on Calle Norte were all locked up, only letting guest leave.

Nevertheless, it was a great trip and I’m so glad I made it when I did.
Old Mar 26th, 2021, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi MinnBeef,

I seem to have overstated the foreign presence in Antigua during my visit in 2016. While the presence was large, and indeed larger than many towns/cities I've visited in Mexico & Central America, it was not dominant, as the foreign tourist presence can be in many beach destinations or European checklist hotspots. From your description, though ('few obvious tourists"), you definitely experienced a different crowd than what I did.

I understand capitalinos (Guatemala City folks) often do a weekend getaway in Antigua, so hopefully their presence is helping keep businesses in Anitgua afloat. I would imagine they are still escaping the bustle of Guate to enjoy the charm of Antigua in their free time.

Best wishes,

Daniel

PS Best mangoes I think I've ever had were sold on the street in Antigua!