Cotswolds Question

Search

Cotswolds Question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2020, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cotswolds Question

Hi. I'm in preliminary stages of planning a trip to London in October (CoVid willing) and want to spend a few days in the Cotswolds, thinking at this point Upper or Lower Slaughter. Is the train from London to Evesham and renting a car at the Evesham train station the easiest way to go? Also, how many nights would you recommend for the Cotswolds? We'll have 13 nights on the ground and want to spend the bulk of them in London. We don't want to drive great distances - we're older (80 and 67). Thank you so much.
Old Dec 15th, 2020, 09:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Certainly the train to Evesham is a good way to go, there are others but really I'd want to know why you want to go to this place, what season you are going in and are you walkers. The place is basically beautiful to wander around and the building stone is mainly goldish and was ignored for a couple of 100 years until tourism came but it is basically farmland with shops in it and on a tough Saturday in August it becomes a bit meh. Are you also going to link it in with a stay in Bath and Oxford?

If you did then I'd allow two nights for Oxford, one night in Bath and some sort of tour through the Cotswolds for a couple of nights staying in a B&B or an Inn. But that is 5 nights and I still don't know what you like. So why do you want to go there?
Old Dec 15th, 2020, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

We're going in early October and want to see pretty English countryside. Love scenery and views. We'd like to base ourselves in a nice hotel for a few nights and drive around to nearby towns. I like the look of Lord of the Manor Hotel or The Slaughters Manor House and it seems to be near towns we can drive to and walk around in. We're happy to walk around towns, but not long distance walkers.
Old Dec 15th, 2020, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Also, not interested in Oxford or Bath - have been to Oxford before and this time want countryside.
Old Dec 15th, 2020, 11:14 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"Is the train from London to Evesham and renting a car at the Evesham train station the easiest way to go?"

Likely not.

I assume you will have been in London for at least a few days prior to heading out to the Cotswolds.

Moreton in March is much closer to the Slaughters than Evesham so taking the train there would make more sense IMO that to Evesham. But neither town has national car hire firms. Using small local firms means the likelihood of getting an automatic is a lot lower -- assuming you prefer automatic to stick shift. And having to return the car to the same location. One of the easiest is probably just to take a car service (or public transit) out to LHR and collect a rental car there. But it is a longer drive - from LHR it is about 70 miles to Lower Slaughter but it has the advantage of every major car hire available and open every day.

Or take the train to Oxford and get your car there. Advantages -- several agencies to choose from, only about 30 miles from Lower Slaughter, quick train from London. Main disadvantage is the first couple of miles driving will be in Oxford.
Old Dec 15th, 2020, 11:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
On our last trip to England, a little over two years ago, we stayed in Burford for three nights. One day we drove to Bourton-on-the-Water and took a circular walk of about five miles which looped through Upper and Lower Slaughter. They are indeed very pretty but shopping etc (if that's your interest) seems limited. The Lord of the Manor Inn looked very comfortable!
Old Dec 16th, 2020, 02:24 AM

My suggestion then based on what you want to do is to base in Burford, it has a fair bit to do and some very fascinating oldie-worldi shops which are worth a womble through. I'd not stay up on the A40 as the hotels are there are cut off the town but try and stay in town so you can walk out in the evening without having to fight that road.

I like the idea of picking up a car from Oxford, then use the train and head west from the station don't think to just pop through town going north. The road out of Oxford is basically straight to the ring road so pretty easy.

Within the area expect travel to be slow and I would ensure I have a gps as so many pretty sights can distract. Coaches get everywhere as do Chinese tourists etc so try and get out and about early before they get there from London.

Clearly I'm not American and being a Brit I like to be able to walk everywhere (I also drink) so while the hotel you suggest looks very nice it just seems a little out of the action but if you like that sort of thing fine. I might look at Stow-OT-Wold as well, a bit busier again but interesting
Old Dec 16th, 2020, 05:43 AM

Hi, Cilburke.
Just wanted to chime in with my experience in Moreton-in-Marsh (MiM). I'm American, and don't enjoy driving even in the US, and less so in England. Just don't like the stress while on vacation. Also, I can't drive a stick shift, so I have to be sure of that. So that's my POV to start, but of course, you may really love driving. Also, I enjoy long-distance hikes in the Cotswolds, but sometimes the weather doesn't cooperate, so I've had to find alternatives.

I had a lovely few days in MiM without a car. The rail station is very close to the main street. I stayed at the Bell Inn, which was a bit rustic but appeals to the history lover in me. (Also, the Bell was completely comfortable, and quiet. I don't recall the breakfast being that special, though. There are more comfortable hotels, like the White Hart, that might be a nicer experience.) A day I'd reserved for a long hike was spoiled by rain, so at the last minute I booked the Secret Cottage tour, and had a wonderful afternoon with the group. The driver provided lots of local information, and we visited many villages, including the Slaughters. This is a small group tour, but I found I enjoyed being in the company of the other tourists after a week of solo travel in England. Also, the tour brings you back to the thatched roof cottage for a huge spread of food. It's a lovely day, even when the weather is a bit cloudy. Website below, and pics from my blog of this tour. but this was 5 years ago, so the tour may have changed slightly. Also the website for the tour has a listing of other lodgings (hotels, inns, farms) that may be of interest.
https://www.cotswoldtourismtours.co.uk/
Charlotte's Secret Cottage ? Susanne Lord

Also, for a tour of a stately house, Sezincote is very near. I hiked there, but it seems there are taxis in MiM that could take you to nearby places of interest. I'd pass on Batsford ARboretum in October. I really loved the atmosphere of Snowshill, which is close.
Have fun planning!

Old Dec 16th, 2020, 08:47 AM

"My suggestion then based on what you want to do is to base in Burford"

That would be my 1st choice too. The Slaughters are pretty and you'll want to visit them for sure but as a base they don't have much other than being pretty. Burford is less than 20 miles from Oxford station. It is a pretty direct drive NW to Eynsham and then due west on the A40 which a a dual carriageway (divided road).

Most any of the larger villages/small towns would also be good (like Stow-on-the-Wold, or up north places like Chipping Campden, Broadway, Moreton-in-Marsh).

But for convenience from Oxford station, variety of accommodations, shops, pubs, restaurants, terrific 'Wool' church, and road connections Burford would be very good.
Old Dec 17th, 2020, 10:30 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
In the link below is my trip report from 2013 (lots of photos). Chapters Ten - Fifteen detail our time in the Cotswolds. Should give you plenty of ideas.

https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/england-2013/

Broadway Tower below:

Old Dec 18th, 2020, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Very helpful.
Old Dec 18th, 2020, 10:04 AM

I loved Bibury.
Old Dec 18th, 2020, 11:10 AM

Just pointing out...

Originally Posted by bilboburgler

Coaches get everywhere as do Chinese tourists etc so try and get out and about early before they get there from London.
Not to detract from the very helpful information given by Bilboburgler but to point out that large groups from coach tours can make a destination less pleasant, no matter what nationality they are! At Versaille it was an American tourist who stuck their Ipad on a selfie stick in front of my face as I tried to view a map. In Cortona it was a British group that completely over took what would have been a lovely quiet lunch in a little trattoria. In Lamole, a large group of Eastern European tourists did “shots” with the complimentary Limoncello which is provided by the ristoro to make paying the bill more palatable. I guess my point is that we all have the potential to be a nuisance when we travel and enjoy ourselves according to (or forgetting to adhere to) the norms of our respective origins.
Old Dec 18th, 2020, 11:17 AM

Any confusion by"etc"I meant any nationality. We all know on mass and in our confusion everyone can swarm.
Old Dec 18th, 2020, 12:24 PM

Thank you for clarifying

Originally Posted by bilboburgler
Any confusion by"etc"I meant any nationality. We all know on mass and in our confusion everyone can swarm.
An oversight on my part; my apologies if I offended you. It is certainly helpful to have experienced advice from experienced contributors such as you.Thank you.
Old Dec 18th, 2020, 03:32 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
"I loved Bibury."

Me, too!

Old Dec 18th, 2020, 04:30 PM

Bibury truly is lovely -- But it really is the Swan, the island/trout farm just across the road, and Arlington Row which is less than 400 yards from the others. It is maybe an hour's stop at most unless having lunch at the Swan. Throw in St Mary's Church maybe 2 hours. It wouldn't be a place I'd pick as a base on a first time visit to the area.

The main problem with Bibury is it is on the itinerary of every day tripper so often parking can be a big problem.
Old Dec 19th, 2020, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by trycke
An oversight on my part; my apologies if I offended you. It is certainly helpful to have experienced advice from experienced contributors such as you.Thank you.
no worries trycke, welcome to Fodors.