Search

Fiji Lodging advice

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2020, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fiji Lodging advice

Hi All,

I'm hoping I can get some advice on a trip that I'm planning for Feb or Mar 2021. The trip was originally being planned for Dec 26 - Jan 2, 2021 (we had narrowed it down to Lalati or Navutu Stars - based on availability/price) but since the Fii borders are still closed due to Covid 19, I'm hesitant to keep those plans. From what I have read and gotten as feedback from one of the resorts, it's quite possible the borders will not re-open until after the first of the year. .

Some background on the travelers:

The travelers will include me and my husband (mid 50's and very active) and our 2 Mothers (77 & 78 y/o) My Mom is still very active and my Mother-in-law is not as active - just average level of activity.

This will be my 4th visit to Fiji and my husband's 3rd visit to Fiji. We love Fiji and are both PADI certified so we'd like to dive while in Fiji. The resorts we've stayed at in the past include Qamea, Matangi, Yasawa Island Resort, and Likuliku. My favorite was Qamea and my husband's favorite is Likuliku.

Our Mothers have never been to Fii and this trip is intended to be a big TREAT for both of them as neither have been to such an exotic tropical island.

Since i now have more time to plan, I wanted to reach out to the Fodorite experts to get some advice:

We are looking for:
1. A small boutique style resort that feels authentic Fijan.
2. Good beach for snorkeling and sunbathing, etc... (an activity that we can all do).
3. Adult only or at least a resort that is likely to have few children
4. Pool, if possible, as the Mom's would use that in addition to the beach
5. Fijan sort of entertainment like Kava, Meke, Village visits, etc...
6. We would like a place that will really WOW them but are hoping we can keep the lodging price under $10k USD for 7 nights; Mothers COULD share a room with 2 beds or we can get them each their own room if we can fit it in our $10k budget.

Since my husband and I have focused more on Romantic resorts when we've been to Fiji, i need some help in deciding which resort would be best since we'll also have our Mothers with us for this trip. They are both able to entertain themselves, but I want to pick a resort that is quiet but not just about romance, if that makes sense?

1.My first pick would be Tokoriki, but i don't think we can fit it into our budget so a few of the resorts I've been considering are: Navutu Stars or Lomani .or Lalati or Toberua? Can anyone comment on which they like best or which they think would best meet our needs?
2. I know Feb/Mar is not a good time to go but the Moms are so excited about the trip, I don't want to delay it any longer. Are certain resorts a better choice given the Feb/Mar timing? ie: better deals or lower probability of bad weather, etc...
3. Any other resorts we should be considering
4. Has anyone got any good information as to when the borders will re-open?

Thank you, in advance, for your help.

Shelley

Old Sep 14th, 2020, 09:27 PM

not sure where you are coming from? at this stage visitors are requiered to quarantine for 14 days n a hotel and the visitor must pay.
The talk has been that Australia and New Zealand will be in a bubble with Fiji first but who knows when this will be.
i would not be planning a trip to Fiji that early and I am in that age bracket of your mothers.
I suggest you keep a watch on the Fiji government webite for the travel information ..
Old Sep 16th, 2020, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Hi Northie,

Thanks so much for your message. I agree with you and we switched gears a week or so ago. We've been looking at Antigua. As of right now, it seems we (USA) can travel to Antigua but i've not yet bought airline tickets or reserved rooms yet as I'm letting abit more time pass to make sure nothing changes.

Thank you, again, for your note.

Shelley