Yellowstone/Tetons. Where to stay??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2020, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We plan to drive from SLC to Jackson and spend a night. We would like to rent a condo for a week to travel daily in this area. Would it be better to stay in Tetons then go to Yellowstone and stay there? We are a couple and plan to sightsee. Want to be very cautious and avoid crowded areas. Looking at week after Labor Day. Any suggestions???
Old Jul 22nd, 2020, 02:43 PM
Forum Moderator

Moved to the US board
Old Jul 22nd, 2020, 02:46 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I found the parks infinitely more interesting than Jackson. If you want to shop, stay in Jackson. Otherwise I suggest you see what's available instead inside the parks.
Old Jul 23rd, 2020, 11:51 AM

In Yellowstone we stayed in the newer cabins behind the Lake Lodge; basically large motel rooms. But I do not know if they are open after Labor Day, or if the nearby Lake Yellowstone Hotel is open. Canyon Village is more centrally located and could be an alternative. But for any accommodations you need to check closure times after Labor Day.

https://flic.kr/p/Jyy8iu
Old Jul 24th, 2020, 02:58 PM

Jackson is fine to use as a base for Grand Teton but too far for Yellowstone. Here are the in park lodgings that are open this year https://www.yellowstonenationalparkl...summer-lodges/ Accommodations are also available in the gateway towns of Gardiner, Cooke City or West Yellowstone.
Old Jul 26th, 2020, 08:15 AM

Stay in the park. Otherwise you will spend several hours a day driving into and out of the park.
Old Jul 27th, 2020, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!!
Old Jul 27th, 2020, 08:55 AM

Momburd, you might check out the Worldmark property in West Yellowstone, so close to the entrance that you are looking at it. Although we stay through Worldmark memberships, I do know that others have been able to rent (probably through Red Week and similar) who are not owners. The condos are nice, and you can get around most of Yellowstone in day trips from West Yellowstone. Not the Tetons, though. Although the parks are close, the driving is far too slow and winding in many places to commute that distance, either from West Yellowstone to Jackson, or from Jackson to Yellowstone farther than, say, Old Faithful.

Wishing you a grand trip, let us know how it goes.