Yosemite Valley Route Question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2020, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

We generally get to Yosemite Valley coming from Los Angeles up Hwy 41 from Fresno into the Valley.

This time, (August) we're coming from San Francisco, which we've done before, but so long ago I've forgotten the best route. My best recollection is at Manteca, continuing east on Hwy 120 (notice how this So. Cal. girl is trying very hard not to add the word "the" before the highway number!!!) into the park. I know the other route is taking Hwy 99 to Hwy 140 east, but not sure why someone might want to take that route over the first described here. Comments?

Either route, where is the last gas station before entering the park? We usually gas up at Oakhurst when coming in from the south.
Old Jul 22nd, 2020, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CA 120 is more winding than CA140, if that makes a difference. In the first instance you go over the mountains to the valley, in the second you follow the river upstream to get to the balley.
Old Jul 22nd, 2020, 08:32 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I would definitely take 99 to Merced and 140 -- easier drive and almost exactly the same drive time. The ONLY times I use 120 is when I'm staying a night or two in Gold Rush country before going to YNP. And this is from someone with a roadster who LOVES twisty turny mountain driving. A big problem with 120 is all the nit wits who don't know how to drive that sort of road and drive 12 mph for miles at a time (only a slight exaggeration). Then there are the other type of nit wit who underestimates the care needed and get in over their heads.

Take 140. Get gas in Merced.
Old Jul 22nd, 2020, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to both. Now I'm remembering that last time, we did take CA120 -- it hugged the side of the mountain, if I remember correctly, and was super curvy, way more than Hwy 1. Which I absolutely adore . . . Janis, I don't have a roadster anymore, but I still love to corner quickly, and hate the 12 mph-ers. That said, I also remember DH tends to get car sick when I hug the corners and turns, so I'm stuck slowing down to what I consider a crawl.

Since we're dragging 2 bikes with us, and considering DH's barf-meter (as I do all the driving), I'll try the 99-140 route this time. Merced is really the closest station?
Old Jul 22nd, 2020, 12:01 PM

with a wimp barfer on board -- definitely take 140

No -- Merced won't be the closest station and you could wait til Mariposa, but Merced is a large town with all the major stations to choose from and once you start up the river on 140 the gas will get more expensive by the mile. Merced is probably the best place to fill up
Old Jul 22nd, 2020, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I'll fill up in Merced and squeeze in a little extra in Mariposa if needed. Needs to be as full as possible this time, since there are no shuttles (free or otherwise) this season, so the car will have to supplement our bikes and feet in the Valley. At least I hear with the limited entries, there's no traffic!
Old Jul 22nd, 2020, 01:51 PM

"and squeeze in a little extra in Mariposa"

The east side of Merced to Mariposa is only about 35 miles so you won't be using much gas between the two. I would not bother myself. There is a gas station/mini mart (Chevron if I remember correctly) in El Portal where you can top up while you are there if needed.
Old Jul 22nd, 2020, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Janis!

For those interested in going to Yosemite in the near future, please keep in mind that unless you have an accommodations reservation, you will be required to reserve a day pass (well in advance) that will allow you to enter for 7 consecutive days. Details and reservations can be found at https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/reservations.htm

This is the case whether or not you have an annual or (in my case) lifetime pass. The NPS is limiting big time entry into the park.

Other things you should know: many services in the Valley are closed. The concessions at Curry Village (like the Pizza place and the Bar and dining room there) are closed for renovations. The public pools at Curry Village and Yosemite Lodge are CLOSED. Raft rentals are closed (BYOR - bring your own raft). No Shuttle buses. Bike rentals are OPEN. The dining room at the Ahwahnee is only open for guests.

Additionally, and I learned this from a friend who has just been up there, the river is at an all time low and is not freezing cold (I guess the snowpack was dismal this year!). So you can bring your own floating device, but it won't go anywhere fast. As my friend's photos reflect (attached), Yosemite is still stunning.