forward cabins?

Old Jun 23rd, 2020, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
forward cabins?

I am not new to traveling in Europe, but I am new to cruising. I can only book a forward cabin on Seabourne. I have read that this is the worst place to be in a ship, but I believe that all the cabins are forward on this ship. Are the newer ships smoother? I noticed they have some of their most expensive suites in the forward section. Any advice would be appreciated. I am currently booked on Crystal Symphony, but am thinking about switching to Seabourne Encore.
Old Jun 23rd, 2020, 09:29 AM

Are you familiar with Cruise Critic? They have a section with reviews of cabins on particular ships.

I don't know either of those ships, but some of the big ships have the suites with butler service up front, e.g. Norwegian Bliss, so the expense is due to the type of cabin and service.

I have been in a forward cabin on an old cruise ship and indeed there was a lot of motion and noise. Typically the midship and not too high gets less motion.
It also depends on your route and the ship design, so I can't really answer the question.

Old Jun 23rd, 2020, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for responding to my question. I am mainly worried about getting seasick. The veranda cabins on the Encore are all forward, so I was worried about being both forward and higher up. Cruise Critic says lower, mid ship is better for seasickness, but the Seabourn Encore is a newer ship and I am not sure this still applies. Thanks again!
Old Jul 24th, 2020, 03:17 PM

I am late to this one but I will say no ships forward cabins are immune to pitch and roll if the seas get rough enough.

We booked a forward facing cabin on the Tahitian Princess, now the Ocean Princess and it was a disaster. The ship is a teapot by todays dimensions as it was only 600 feet long and weighted 32k tons. My wife became quite ill. If not for being able to shift to an amidships cabin we would have had to get off. I see your ship at 42k tons and 690 ft. in length is just a bit bigger than the one we were on.
I Would say play it safe.

All the best. Larry

Last edited by jacketwatch; Jul 24th, 2020 at 03:20 PM.
Old Jul 27th, 2020, 01:18 AM

The ship is a “teapot” by todays dimensions as it was only 600 feet long and weighted 32k tons.
All the best. Larry[/QUOTE]

Love that description!
Nice to see your name too. Hope you and your family are all OK during this time.
If we ever get to cruise again, I will treasure every single minute.
Old Jul 27th, 2020, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by Sassafrass
The ship is a “teapot” by todays dimensions as it was only 600 feet long and weighted 32k tons.
All the best. Larry
Love that description!
Nice to see your name too. Hope you and your family are all OK during this time.
If we ever get to cruise again, I will treasure every single minute.[/QUOTE]
Hi Sass! I hope you and family are well. We are ok, hunkered down here but grateful for our blessings.

Our next cruise is scheduled for 9/2021. As things are going I do wonder. Lets hope for the best. I hope by that time not only will the cruise be on but we will feel ok about going. Who knows?

Cheers!

Larry
Old Jul 28th, 2020, 12:02 AM

Well over a year away. What do you have scheduled?
Old Jul 29th, 2020, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by Sassafrass
Well over a year away. What do you have scheduled?
Its 11 days out of Southampton with stops in Lisbon, Bordeaux, each two days, Bilbao Spain and Le Havre to go to Paris.

So lets hope!