Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Mid August trip to Venice and Florence- cancel or go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2020, 01:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like so many others we have a trip planned Aug 19-30.
trying to decide if we go or cancel. Of course if there is a resurgence and Italy goes back into lock down we won’t.
this is a big trip for us and I don’t want to go (with kids) if we can’t experience all that Italy has to offer if we’re unable to fully enjoy.
what would you do today- May 30- continue w plans or cancel now.
Old May 30th, 2020, 02:29 AM

Do you gain anything from canceling now? If not wait.

Your flights likely won't be refunded if you cancel. If OTOH the airline cancels you will hopefully get your money back.

Is the hotel prepaid or can it be canceled?
Old May 30th, 2020, 02:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't go but we live in Australia and international travel is banned at present. I doubt that will change by August. I can't imagine enjoying the trip to Italy under the present circumstances. The post above makes sense - you don't want to lose the money you've paid for flights if you can help it.
Old May 30th, 2020, 07:00 AM

My sense is that you will not be able to fully enjoy all that you expected to on this trip. Too soon for any semblance of normalcy. Our flights for out September trip in and out of Rome have already been cancelled by the airline, so that was that. Have you checked your locator recently to see if your airline is actually flying that route this summer, many have been cancelled.
Old May 30th, 2020, 07:12 AM

I agree I'd wait for the airlines to cancel so as to increase chances of a refund.

That said, I live in Europe and no way I'm going to be traveling around anytime this summer or fall, even though plenty of airline and train options are opening up for us to do so. I'd like to think we might be able to plan a few days at a thermal spa town in the Pyrenées in the dead of next winter, but I'm not even half-serious about that yet.
Old May 30th, 2020, 07:57 AM

We don't have crystal balls, so what we say can't be accepted as fact. I'm not planning any travel this summer, except to our summer house about 45 miles from where we live, in Le Marche. Most things are going to be open here as of June 3rd, and international travelers won't have to go into quarantine on arrival. Most museums are also opening on June 3rd. However, there will be social distancing measures everywhere. For example, entry to the Vatican Museums will be by reservation only, and the number of reservations will be controlled to avoid crowding inside. On the one hand, it's a good opportunity to see the Museums without having to march along shoulder to shoulder with thousands of your fellow visitors. On the other hand, depending on how quickly visitors return to Italy, it may be hard to reserve a visit for your preferred date.

Restaurants have reduced the number of tables to maintain the required distance. In the center of popular tourist cities (Rome, Florence, Venice, etc,) where restaurants outnumber residents, many resaurants haven't found it worthwhile to open at all. Beaches will also have reduced numbers of people. I don't know how local festivals will be handled.

Masks must be worn everywhere, although in open spaces where distance is easy to maintain, the mask can be lowered. Gloves must be worn in many shops, especially those selling food. One meter of distance from other people must be maintained outdoors, and 1.5 meters indoors.

Depending on what you want to experience, and if everything continues to go well, it could be an opportunity to see Italy without the usual mob scenes. If the number of cases rises very much, it could all be closed down again. As others have said, in that case the airlines will be required to refund your fare or give you a voucher for a future date. Some airlines only give vouchers.

If you've already made reservations, I'd wait to see how it goes. I hope you made hotel reservations that can be cancelled without penalty.
Old May 30th, 2020, 08:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Covid or not, I wouldn't visit Florence and Venice in late August when it would be too hot and humid for me to enjoy. My sightseeing days would look like donuts. Activity in the morning, nothing in the middle of the day, activity in the late afternoon.

If the question only relates to Covid, only you can decide the risk level you're comfortable with. Traveling with kids would give me reason to think more carefully and watch the stats. I assume you're familiar with Covid-related Kawasaki disease in children.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/14/healt...ntl/index.html
Old May 30th, 2020, 08:30 AM

I have a booking to Italy in July which was booked well before the pandemic, if the flight is operating and the borders are open, I fully intend to go. But I am not taking kids nor am I travelling transatlantic.
I would wait a bit longer before deciding what to do, if the airline cancels, you will be more likely to get a refund. I've had at least 3 trips cancelled by airlines since March and even the rebookings have been cancelled, despite this I've got refunds without issues.
Old May 30th, 2020, 12:02 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
For myself, I would definitely cancel. Not because I'm afraid of anything specific, but I can't take the additional layers of stress a world-wide pandemic adds! When I'm spending time and money on foreign travel just not something I want to deal with.

Old May 30th, 2020, 12:11 PM

Jean makes a good point that I had totally overlooked. Florence and Venice in August ANY year would normally be terribly unpleasant.
Old May 30th, 2020, 12:43 PM

What is booked? Just flights? Or flights and hotels? Or a tour? What do you consider "all that Italy has to offer"?

From what I've been told by a friend in Montepulciano, they are open and ready for business. Their town had few cases. I understand that Venice also had few cases.

In general, Italy is desperate for tourists.

Depending on where your are flying from and to, your flights may not be cancelled by the airlines, even if you are prohibiited from going, because Italian residents are allowed entry into the country.

It looked as if the OP was already warned about August and decided to book anyways.

I agree that if the risk is acceptable to you (assuming you are all not in the high risk age group) that it would be a rare opportunity to see Italy with the hordes.

What is the advantage of cancelling now?

Last edited by mlgb; May 30th, 2020 at 01:01 PM.
Old May 30th, 2020, 02:42 PM

Best case: you see Florence and Venice with fewer crowds. Worst case: you catch COVID or unwittingly spread it.

Family holidays like this are very special and I understand the desire to go but only you can decide your appetite for risk.

I imagine that you will need to fit in with school holidays and so have limited opportunities as to when you can travel. We were the same and decided to visit in December/early January. We had a brilliant time and would happily travel at that time of year again. No one knows what it will be like by December but it may be an alternative for you, depending on how things pan out.
Old May 30th, 2020, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by socaltraveler
My sense is that you will not be able to fully enjoy all that you expected to on this trip. Too soon for any semblance of normalcy. Our flights for out September trip in and out of Rome have already been cancelled by the airline, so that was that. Have you checked your locator recently to see if your airline is actually flying that route this summer, many have been cancelled.
Which airline?

Most airlines are canceling a month at a time. Sounds unusual to cancel several months ahead.
Old May 30th, 2020, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by mlgb
What is booked? Just flights? Or flights and hotels? Or a tour? What do you consider "all that Italy has to offer"?

From what I've been told by a friend in Montepulciano, they are open and ready for business. Their town had few cases. I understand that Venice also had few cases.

In general, Italy is desperate for tourists.

Depending on where your are flying from and to, your flights may not be cancelled by the airlines, even if you are prohibiited from going, because Italian residents are allowed entry into the country.

It looked as if the OP was already warned about August and decided to book anyways.

I agree that if the risk is acceptable to you (assuming you are all not in the high risk age group) that it would be a rare opportunity to see Italy with the hordes.

What is the advantage of cancelling now?
Yeah the OP may not have a choice if their country is barred by Schengen or Italy.

If he or she goes, it may be a good idea to avoid all internal spaces. That means museums and probably dining in at restaurants, especially smaller places. Even with reduced crowds, you don't know what the airflows are like indoors of various places. There have been cases of spread in large interior spaces because the air circulation system just moves the droplets around, doesn't push them outside and bring in fresh air.

So "all that Italy has to offer" might not include museums or dining in restaurants.

Will enough places off take away food?
Old May 30th, 2020, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by scrb11
Which airline?

Most airlines are canceling a month at a time. Sounds unusual to cancel several months ahead.
It is American Airlines. They actually cancelled the route, DFW to Rome, for the entire summer. Not that we would consider going now, we also did not want to consider what rerouting options they might have offered. They were willing to give us the refund so we took it gladly.
Old May 31st, 2020, 01:05 AM
Original Poster

Hi
OP here.
whole family has had covid and kids have tested positive for antibodies. Of course that does not make us safe from harm but just not as “afraid” right now. Yes we know it may come back as a different strain.
traveling in Italy as were a dual parent working households one parent works at a school, 2 kids, August is all we’ve got right now and it’s timed for a special ceremony. We know it will be hot. I’ve been to Italy in the summer. And we are in NYC so I get it.
haven’t checked flights as of late but it’s not aa.
One hotel is a vrbo that we can cancel until 4 weeks out the other is already giving me a bit of a hard time but I have deposit back as a “voucher”. Fingers crossed.

thanak everyone for your comments. First call this am is to delta to see if there is any update.
stay safe!
Old May 31st, 2020, 04:18 AM

Well, this is interesting, a whole new cohort of travelers, the "I've already had it" folks. Oh boy, glad I'm staying at home.
Old May 31st, 2020, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Certainly wasn’t interested in getting into this conversation On this forum.
I’m sure there are other blogs where you can do so.
Old May 31st, 2020, 07:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
dloech, this would have been good info to have from the start. It doesn't change my thoughts about August, but you've explained the timing. I can't handle high temps and humidity, but I realize others are not as wimpy as me. And, yes, antibodies don't insure immunity, but I think it does change the risk/reward calculation (which only you can figure out for your family). It's entirely possible one or more of you will contract the virus again and may require medical care. My husband and I tested positive for the antibodies as well, but we have decided not to fly anywhere this year. We're healthy but in the old-age category.

But I think your biggest issue will probably be the possibility of either government returning to lockouts and lockdowns in response to new waves or outbreaks of infections. But you already know that.

One thing I would do is prepare for the possibility that you might have to remain in Italy longer than planned. I would arrange for lots of accessible cash via ATM, high limits on credit cards, whatever, in case you have expenses that were not anticipated.

I would also keep tabs on what indoor things will be open/closed (museums, attractions, etc.) and develop alternate plans for sightseeing if most things are not open. Make entry reservations wherever they're offered, but you might have to make some decisions on the fly. It's hard to predict how this year will compare to the past, but lots of private businesses in Italy used to close during the middle of the day and many places may have closed permanently. August 15th is a big family holiday in Italy, but I don't know what this year will be like.

Last edited by Jean; May 31st, 2020 at 07:39 AM.
Old May 31st, 2020, 08:40 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
{I don’t want to go (with kids) if we can’t experience all that Italy has to offer}

To me that sentence in the OP is key. My belief is that this coming August is too soon to be able to experience it all. I don't think that is a realistic expectation. If you do decide to go ahead, be ready for some closures and limitations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -