Transit through Europe

Search

Transit through Europe

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2020, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transit through Europe

Can I transit through France and Spain during June via car to get to my second home in Portugal? Can anyone shed some clarity
Thanks
Adrian
Old May 29th, 2020, 10:01 AM
Forum Moderator

Moved to the Europe Forum and tagged
Old May 29th, 2020, 11:43 AM

From where, the UK?
Old May 29th, 2020, 12:34 PM

Nobody knows yet. More news due by mid June. Bear in mind the French are (possibly) imposing a 14 day quarantine of Britons. You will also have to go into 14 day quarantine on your return, assuming you are from Britain.

Borders at the moment are still closed.
You could try the ferry to Spain and then into Portugal, but again it depends on whether they have opened their borders by then and to which nationalities.
The EU will probably come up with a decision eventually, but honestly I would stay put for a while longer. Why risk taking the virus with you, or getting in when you are there. You will need insurance in addition to your EHIC as well, and that may be tough to find.
Old May 29th, 2020, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Heimdall
From where, the UK?
Apologies. Yes from UK
Old May 29th, 2020, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hetismij2
Nobody knows yet. More news due by mid June. Bear in mind the French are (possibly) imposing a 14 day quarantine of Britons. You will also have to go into 14 day quarantine on your return, assuming you are from Britain.

Borders at the moment are still closed.
You could try the ferry to Spain and then into Portugal, but again it depends on whether they have opened their borders by then and to which nationalities.
The EU will probably come up with a decision eventually, but honestly I would stay put for a while longer. Why risk taking the virus with you, or getting in when you are there. You will need insurance in addition to your EHIC as well, and that may be tough to find.
Borders are open if you qualify-permittted to travel. No ferries are operational other than freight. Transiting via car from the UK appears to be the most sensible route. I see you can transit through Spain no problem as long as you don’t overnight there!

There are no confirmed quarantine restrictions between the UK & France as there is a reciprocal agreement only to quarantine if necessary but It’s not law abiding.

All appears very vague