Brest to Bordeaux; train and bicycle

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2020, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This in October 2020, of course, maybe. But the weather might be good, and i've always wanted to experience the vineyards of Bordeaux. I studied enology and viticulture in college, picked grapes and worked for a winery in Napa Co, Cali so such a trip would be great.
Today's plan is to take ferry from Cork IR to Brest FR. Find a train able to take my bike and head south. Hope to ride along the sea coast for some miles, up to 100, and cross the river by ferry above Bordeaux. Pedal around the vines and then head south towards Capbreton where i can meet up with my friend.

Lodging may be an issue at that time, can't comment now. The trains and bikeways should be operating (normally?) so any comments about those features of France very welcome. Sorry, cannot speak but English, am a bit old so 30 miles usually max per day on bike.

Costs? Retirement funds and bucket list dreams so, let's go!
Old May 26th, 2020, 10:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Here is link showing all of the cycling paths in Nouvelle Aquitaine: Voies vertes et vélo en vacances en Aquitaine
Old May 27th, 2020, 02:57 AM

According to the SNCF, 70% of the local TER trains in Novelle Aquitaine are likely to be operating again as of June 2. Our own VERY local putt-putt has been heard a couple of times a day in the past week. There will be considerable restrictions on the trains, though, with (among other things) no train allowed to leave a station if it's deemed to have too many people on it. By October I imagine the main lines north and south along the coast will be operating as well. You can take a bike on almost any of these trains.

It sounds like a lovely trip, especially the cycling part, but I wouldn't get all hyper about the Bordeaux vineyards. They're not in terribly attractive country, and lots of the châteaux aren't open to the public. It's nothing at all like NAPA, where you can just "drop by." And October will likely be just after, or even during, the vendange, which means vintners will be working overtime and not so happy to entertain tourists.
Old May 27th, 2020, 03:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good info, StCirq
Old May 27th, 2020, 03:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you can be bothered to search back to 14 I wrote up a report on La Rochelle to Bergerac along that route that kerouac offered. Accom is generally ok (though corona may have changed that) above bars and in small hotels. The route is very very flat. There are two ferry points you can cross and there is the transporter bridge at Rochefort.
Old May 27th, 2020, 03:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here it is Why does riding a bike make me think of French food?
Old May 28th, 2020, 09:27 PM

Make sure to check, also in October, if your bike is allowed on a train at all. Here in NL, train services will be back to quasi normal on June 1, but bikes aren't allowed bc they block passages where people enter and leave the train.
Old May 28th, 2020, 11:55 PM

Oh, good point, menachem. I hadn't thought about bike rules changing. Best to check with SNCF for the most up-to-date policies.
Old Jun 1st, 2020, 10:41 AM

Bordeaux is a wonderful place to visit, easy to get to from Paris via TGV fast trains and easy transportation around the area with or without a car. We visited Arcachon and spent the a nice day on a Bordeaux vineyard tour. Attached is my TR blog post https://travelfam.wordpress.com/2016...s-to-bordeaux/