Search

European road trip

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2020, 02:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
European road trip

Hi,

Me and 7 others are planning a road trip next year from Calais, through Belgium, Germany, Switzerland into Italy then back
Are the use of walkies talkies in these countries banned? also a friend of mine as a modified car, ive seen a few posts saying they might be banned in some countries but i cant get a definitive answer
HELP
Old May 26th, 2020, 02:25 AM

Where are you from? Why walkie talkies instead of mobile phones? Define a modified car.

This sets out the basic rules for walkie talkies: https://www.walkie-talkie-radio.co.u...ational-issues

If you are from the UK you will almost certainly still have free roaming in the EU from your phone proviider next year, though it is of course not guaranteed.
You will need a green card for each vehicle and travel and health insurance as EHICs will no longer apply.

You will also need to check if you need an ETIAS if you are from the UK - you will certainly need one if you are from US/Canada/Australia etc.
Old May 26th, 2020, 02:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There is a tool called Google.

Every country in the EU offers a system to allow modification, so you will probably have to do everyone. Certainly, when Tour de France moves to other countries the little cars shaped like yoghurt pots can't leave France. Germany requires homologation etc.
Old May 26th, 2020, 02:42 AM
Original Poster

Yes were coming from the UK,

Mobile phones are an option to be fair, we was hoping to avoid having to ring the other cars and could just talk continuously
Re mapped Performance,
Vents in the bonnet
Alloys other parts of the car like wing mirrors have none standard colours
Old May 26th, 2020, 02:54 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bilboburgler
There is a tool called Google.

Every country in the EU offers a system to allow modification, so you will probably have to do everyone. Certainly, when Tour de France moves to other countries the little cars shaped like yoghurt pots can't leave France. Germany requires homologation etc.
I have used Google, and couldn't find a definitive answer.... Hence the question on a 'Road trip forum'
Old May 26th, 2020, 03:04 AM

You really need to google each country one by one. My Swiss friend (originally from Ipswich) tried to do this there and the cost of the homologation was the same as the cost of the car.

I'd start my research on the aa website.

Last edited by bilboburgler; May 26th, 2020 at 03:11 AM.
Old May 26th, 2020, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by hetismij2
You will also need to check if you need an ETIAS if you are from the UK - you will certainly need one if you are from US/Canada/Australia etc.
Pretty sure this has been pushed into 2022 or later, for the US and Canada at least.
Old May 26th, 2020, 03:23 AM

Unless you're moving I seriously doubt anybody would check if the engine has been remapped. Also since the UK is kind of still inside the EU if it's street legal in the UK it's more or less likely to be street legal in the rest of the EU. Lights pointing in the correct direction being a notable difference.

Do you have a list of stops? For smaller centres a car can be a great thing. For larger cities you'll regret it.
Old May 26th, 2020, 03:37 AM
Original Poster

Friesenheim - Germany
Lake Como
MIlan

Thank you
Old May 26th, 2020, 05:09 AM

UK is no longer part of the EU next year Traveller Nick. Who knows what the situation will be between the two by then, especially given the trade talks will almost certainly break down so BoJo gets his no deal Brexit by default. you cannot assume things will just carry on.

If you are driving in Italy you really need to be aware of restricted zones. You also need to be aware of speed cameras everywhere, digital ones, not big old gatsos, that are not easy to spot. You also eed to be aware of environmental zones in many European cities. For Germany you need a sticker to enter most cities, and for France you need one not just for cities but whole areas if the air polution is bad.
Read the AA website and search for information on such things. In Switzerland you will need a Toll vignet if you are planning on using any of their motorways.
Old May 26th, 2020, 05:33 AM

I understand that but the current car design rules are the same.
Old May 26th, 2020, 05:34 AM

BTW all Italian traffic cameras are sign posted.
Old May 26th, 2020, 05:38 AM

I think the only people who will really care are the Germans and the Swiss and only if they spot it, so extra vents might be an issue.

I would warn you that fines can be steep. I took a TR7 into Germany and the police were very interested to see documents. However, the Swiss will be the tough guys, especially at borders.