Cancelling Air New Zealand Flight

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2020, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ANZ flight from Houston to Auckland is still running, but it looks like I won't really be able to get a visa or enter the country on 7/3, when my flight is scheduled. As far as I can tell, their cancellation policy says that I have to pay $300/ticket to cancel. I'd like to just get credit and take the flight next year, but I booked through Chase Freedom Rewards, so it appears that isn't an option.

It seems like all the agents from ANZ are new and don't even know all the rules and all the agents from Chase have no clue, other than clicking the button. I was wondering if anyone knew of the right way to turn my flight into a credit or if maybe the refund policy isn't quite as draconian as it appears.
Old May 11th, 2020, 04:21 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I've just looked at the Air New Zealand website. Flights between Auckland and Houston are suspended until June 30, 2020, but it wouldn't surprise me if that suspension is extended.

Their site also states:

We are offering customers the option to change or credit their domestic flights within New Zealand when booked to travel before 30 June, or international flights booked to travel before 31 July, 2020.

We've extended credit validity. You now have until 30 June 2021 to rebook, and 12 months to complete your travel from the time you made the booking.

You can make one change without paying any change fees or service fees. You will need to pay for any difference in the fare.

This can be done online here:

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/covid19
Old May 11th, 2020, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This must be a really recent change, I'd talked to a CSR on Thursday and this wasn't an option. Thanks, will try again.
Old May 12th, 2020, 12:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
ANZ have been changing policy (helping its customers) on almost a daily basis. Now that Melnq8 has cited directly from the website, you can too when speaking with a representative. Frankly, ANZ would MUCH PREFER that they hold as a credit for future use rather than refunding you. If the person you get on the line is unaware of the new policy, as that he/she speak with their immediate supervisor or manager, and you should get a very positive response.

If you saw my earlier post, when ANZ canceled my flight to London in September from LAX, they just credited ("banked" I think was the word they used) my account for future travel which, of course, if their preference. But when she realized that route no longer existed, she took the initiative to put me on hold while she spoke with her manager, then came back on the line and said I'd get a full refund. Which I did within a week. I did notice that I did not get refunded the $100 for booking with one of their agents by telephone, which I only did because it enabled my husband to get his upgrade confirmed right away instead of waiting a week before the flight (as an elite member, I got immediate upgrade confirmation; as a gold member, he would ordinarily have to wait).
Old May 12th, 2020, 01:08 PM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
I would just wait, I am sure that flight will be cancelled by Air NZ. Just because it is showing up doesn't not mean that is going to go ahead. Air NZ has dramatically cut their overseas travel. If it is cancelled Air NZ will give you a credit. Then ring and ask for a refund.