Search

Greece travel, July & August

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2020, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greece travel, July & August

Hello everyone,

We had planned to go to the Puglia region of Italy in mid July for just under 3 weeks but with what is going on there with Covid 19, that just may not be possible due to the high number of new cases and high death rate in Italy (even though things look like they are getting a little better), which is just so very sad.

With much better news out of Greece regarding this pandemic (much lower number of cases and deaths), would travel to the islands be possible this summer? Has there been any talk about opening up the islands for travellers this summer?

Thanks
Old May 2nd, 2020, 08:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is talk of Greece opening up as early as July.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...of-coronavirus

However, I would not bet on it and would not book anything unless it is cancelable, and certainly I would not book flights at this point.

There is a mountain of logistics to work through before EU come to a position on conditions re opening internal/external borders to tourists.

Personally, I think it is highly unlikely that there will be any progress in July and August. Even if boarders are open before the end of the year, they may only allow in tourists from countries that appear to have some degree of control over the virus.

It is all a big UNKNOWN at this point. Unfortunately, Don't get your hopes up.

Regards
Old May 2nd, 2020, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by AimlessWanderer
Hello everyone,

We had planned to go to the Puglia region of Italy in mid July for just under 3 weeks but with what is going on there with Covid 19, that just may not be possible due to the high number of new cases and high death rate in Italy (even though things look like they are getting a little better), which is just so very sad.

With much better news out of Greece regarding this pandemic (much lower number of cases and deaths), would travel to the islands be possible this summer? Has there been any talk about opening up the islands for travellers this summer?

Thanks
I think the wisest course of action is to stay put and not contribute to the spread of coronavirus ahead of a second global outbreak in september/october. Please don't contribute by means of elective air travel.
Old May 3rd, 2020, 12:07 AM

Yes, Apuolia gets actially some 30 new positive cases per day.
In total, there are actually 4 serious/critical cases per million inhabitants and 106 people/million inhabitants died.

Greece has 4 crtitcal/serious cases per million inhabitants and 14 dead people/million inhabitants.
Greece gets officially some 10-20 new positive cases per day.

I second Menachem: it would be criminal to bring the coronavirus to small Greek Islands with bad or almost inexisting sanitary equipment.
Old May 3rd, 2020, 02:05 AM

Who knows if the external borders of the EU will be open by then? Who knows which countries will allow flights to Greece, or expect you to go into isolation upon your return?
Why not just accept this year is a no travel year and find somewhere in your own country, or just put the money you save by not travelling towards a holiday when things are under control and trips are allowed?
Old May 3rd, 2020, 02:52 AM

"Why not just accept this year is a no travel year"

Why would you decide that on the 3rd of May? We still have 8 months from this year ahead of us.

In my opinion this is very simple: If a country opens its borders to tourists I won't hesitate to travel there.

Much more people suffer from the economic crises than from the virus. I bet if we'll look back at 2020 in next year, some countries will have more deaths from suicide than from the virus.
Old May 3rd, 2020, 04:42 AM

Having several dear friends on a small Greek island, what I dread is the prospect of Covid-19 being spread there when international tourism eventually resumes. Even when travel restrictions are lifted, Covid-19 will still be out there.

Many Greek islands have only a small clinic with no critical care beds and only one doctor, and also have larger than average elderly populations. Serious medical cases are airlifted by helicopter to larger islands or to Athens.
Old May 3rd, 2020, 05:59 AM

I think the Greek government should let the local communities decide if and when to open their islands for visitors.

The Hellenic Navy would be better of having at least one hospital ship instead of so many destroyers, frigates and subs, in the meantime they could requisite a large ferry and outfit as a hospital ship.
Old May 3rd, 2020, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

If Greece opens up for travel this summer, nobody should be considered a 'criminal' unless they travel there to intentionally spread the virus. I think we should refrain from making such allegations.

It is very possible that we see a drastic move lower in the number of new cases over the next few months which would allow for mid to late summer travel and we should leave the health decisions up to the experts in charge who have much more knowledge of this situation than any of us do. If it is said that we should not travel this summer, so be it, but why make any decisions now for travel that is months away?
Old May 4th, 2020, 02:16 AM

I posted this on another thread as well: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52491204

So unless you can drive there you ain't going.

Old May 4th, 2020, 06:27 AM

"So unless you can drive there you ain't going."

That's not what the article says.

"With big questions over when holiday flights will resume, Greece too is initially looking for tourists who can reach the country by road."

"We will first see domestic tourism, then tourists from neighbouring countries, and then middle-distance countries and long-distance ones. Travelling by road will be safer initially than flying and we'll see that kind of tourists earlier."

You may not be able to fly to Greece in June or July, but flights may resume later, say in July or August.

What you can see from this article is that Greece and Croatia are very much committed to open their countries by summer.

Old May 4th, 2020, 07:43 AM

A woman I met last year in Athens, and remain in touch with, told me a couple of weeks ago that the Greek government is hoping to reopen the airport by July 1, with some limits in lace as to where they will receive flights from - no Spanish or Italian originators at a minimum. Not sure they’ll accept flights from the U.S., but I’ve pivoted from flying JFK to Madrid (with a two week stay in Spain) to Athens to a direct Newark to Athens flight. Maybe that’ll happen, maybe it won’t. Still too soon to say, in my opinion.
Old May 4th, 2020, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by AimlessWanderer
If Greece opens up for travel this summer, nobody should be considered a 'criminal' unless they travel there to intentionally spread the virus. I think we should refrain from making such allegations.

It is very possible that we see a drastic move lower in the number of new cases over the next few months which would allow for mid to late summer travel and we should leave the health decisions up to the experts in charge who have much more knowledge of this situation than any of us do. If it is said that we should not travel this summer, so be it, but why make any decisions now for travel that is months away?
Global air travel has been a vector for the spread of coronavirus. Why contribute by means of elective air travel? It's not a right, you do it for pleasure. I don't think it's fair to rationalize away the danger that air travelers bring to countries.
Old May 4th, 2020, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by BDKR
"So unless you can drive there you ain't going."

That's not what the article says.

"With big questions over when holiday flights will resume, Greece too is initially looking for tourists who can reach the country by road."

"We will first see domestic tourism, then tourists from neighbouring countries, and then middle-distance countries and long-distance ones. Travelling by road will be safer initially than flying and we'll see that kind of tourists earlier."

You may not be able to fly to Greece in June or July, but flights may resume later, say in July or August.

What you can see from this article is that Greece and Croatia are very much committed to open their countries by summer.
And they'll regret it by fall.
Old May 5th, 2020, 12:11 AM

Greece may well regret opening its borders to coronavirus in order to save part of the 2020 tourist season if the virus spreads just as winter is approaching. A map I found showing the Covid-19 cases throughout Greece indicates there are only four cases in the Cyclades, one on Naxos, one on Syros, and two on Mykonos. Most islands in the archipelago have no cases at all. I hope that doesn’t change when tourism resumes.
https://coronavirus.pineza.eu
Old May 5th, 2020, 12:11 AM

If you are not infected, coming from a country with a very low number of infections on a direct flight/charter flight where is the risk?

"And they'll regret it by fall."

If they were not Greeks they could do it wisely and won't regret it. The geography is their great advantage. They don't need to open the whole country for tourists. They could totally close the mainland and open only certain islands, like Crete, Rhodes, Zakynthos, Korfu, etc. It should be up to the local islanders to decide if the want to open their island. They could than receive direct flights from countries with low infection rates. Locals who would like to leave the islands to the mainland during the holiday season must be taken into quarantaine. The Hellenic Navy shall comission a hospital ship to be ready to deploy if there is an unexpected outbreak on an island. They could either "borrow" one from a country where it is not needed or requisite a ferry or a cruise ship.

I think that locals on these islands are much more concerned with putting bread on the table than with the possibility of getting infected with a virus which for most people is hardly worse than a flu.

Last edited by BDKR; May 5th, 2020 at 12:14 AM.
Old May 5th, 2020, 05:18 AM

"I think that locals on these islands are much more concerned with putting bread on the table than with the possibility of getting infected with a virus which for most people is hardly worse than a flu"

4 years ago, there were almost no foreign tourists in Greece because of the disastrous economic situation. Even Greek people had no money for holidays then.
The Island population survived. Many big holiday ghettos and luxury souvenir shops belonging to Athenian or foreign companies didn't open. That did effect a lot of seasonal workers (waiters, tourist guides, staff at beaches and waterparks, etc.) coming from continental Greece, Bulgaria and other European countries, but not primarily the local population.
Old May 5th, 2020, 05:39 AM

"If they were not Greeks they could do it wisely"

I fully agree. But they ARE Greeks. And in Greece, everything is decided in Athens, often according to a political or familiary corruption logic

The method would be easy, BTW:
Airlines flying to Greece could be obliged to refuse to board any passenger who couldn't show a medical certificate proving that he has been tested negatively within the last week before the flight and a second (quick) test should be made just after arrrival in the first Greek airport. If this latter would be negative too, passengers could be allowed to proceed from the transit zone to the immigration desks and the baggage claim area of the airport after about 4 hrs waiting time.
Old May 6th, 2020, 12:58 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
some countries will have more deaths from suicide than from the virus.

I very much doubt that.
Old May 7th, 2020, 03:18 AM
Original Poster

It seems like Greece will be opening up for tourism July 1st.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -