Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

What are the best beaches to go in Sri Lanka

Old Apr 19th, 2020, 11:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey what are the best beaches to go in Sri Lanka ?
Old Apr 23rd, 2020, 11:47 PM

It depends what you are looking for in a beach, just a nice swim and miles of sunny golden sand with brilliant blue waters, corals, snorkelling, diving, big surf for surfing??

Nilaveli in season is personal favourite..... nice swim and miles of sunny golden sand with brilliant blue waters it also has the fab pigeon island for great snorkelling and diving and one can go whale watching too in the vicinity. The season runs from April to September. Nilaveli Beach Hotel probably has the best location right opposite Pigeon Island.

Arugambay beach is best for pro surfing. Best season April - October.

There are many nice swim and surf spots along the Southern coastline near Thalpe, Weligama, Mirissa, Hikkaduwa etc.

Old Apr 28th, 2020, 07:46 AM

If you want relax with less crowd choose Kalpitiya , east coast (Pasikuda/Trincomalee/Nilaveli/Arugambay ) in april to november looking for restaurants/bars with activities Hikkaduwa/Galle/Unwatuna/Mirissa) December to April
Old Jun 6th, 2022, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mohammed
It depends what you are looking for in a beach, just a nice swim and miles of sunny golden sand with brilliant blue waters, corals, snorkelling, diving, big surf for surfing??

Nilaveli in season is personal favourite..... nice swim and miles of sunny golden sand with brilliant blue waters it also has the fab pigeon island for great snorkelling and diving and one can go whale watching too in the vicinity. The season runs from April to September. Nilaveli Beach Hotel probably has the best location right opposite Pigeon Island.

Arugambay beach is best for pro surfing. Best season April - October.

There are many nice swim and surf spots along the Southern coastline near Thalpe, Weligama, Mirissa, Hikkaduwa etc.
Bumping this old thread! Have you been diving around Pigeon Island? My SO and I were looking for beach destinations where we can watch and/or swim with whales. Didn't see Sri Lanka in any lists, but am thinking it might be an overlooked destination. We were thinking of booking a trip to Rurutu in French Polynesia as an alternative, but would prefer a destination in Asia.
Old Jun 7th, 2022, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by TravelandDive
Bumping this old thread! Have you been diving around Pigeon Island? My SO and I were looking for beach destinations where we can watch and/or swim with whales. Didn't see Sri Lanka in any lists, but am thinking it might be an overlooked destination. We were thinking of booking a trip to Rurutu in French Polynesia as an alternative, but would prefer a destination in Asia.
Corals and reef around Pigeon Island have been regenerating quite well these past few years and one can see Black Tip Reef Sharks and many other coral fish, soft corals etc. There are a few nice dive sites in the area, including a small interesting wreck. With the economic crisis in Sri Lanka tourism has collapsed and most hotels running empty so its is great bargain time. It is also safe to visit however do be aware that there are shortages of fuel and other essentials that can cause disruptions but I am sure a good travel tour operator will take care of these hurdles for you. I am not sure if the Padi dive center at the Nilaveli Beach Hotel is currently operational but I am sure you will find some dive centers in the vicinity working.

Last edited by Mohammed; Jun 7th, 2022 at 06:35 AM.
Old Jun 11th, 2022, 01:37 AM

Wow, Mohammed. Your comments seem wildly optimistic regarding the current situation in Sri Lanka. Unless you are on-the-ground there now and are living the scene, i have read nothing that suggests hotels can find fuel or food for any guests. When folks are as hungry as in Sri Lanka now, nothing but trouble, fear and despair lie ahead.
Old Jun 12th, 2022, 03:12 AM

Always good to hear your opinions direct from Sri Lanka Mohamed. Difficult times for Sri Lanka and I wish you and your countrymen well for the future. Hopefully better times lie not too far ahead.

Old Jun 14th, 2022, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by crellston
Always good to hear your opinions direct from Sri Lanka Mohamed. Difficult times for Sri Lanka and I wish you and your countrymen well for the future. Hopefully better times lie not too far ahead.
Good to know Mohamed lives there. It makes a difference.

Thank you.
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 12:07 PM

Yes JW, he was very helpful to me in planning my trip to Sri Lanka as he has been to others.
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 11:46 PM

Hi Everyone,

I just returned from a trip to Nilaveli yesterday and Nilaveli Beach Hotel is functioning and the beach was fabulous. I also believe several other hotels in the vicinity are functioning. The boat service to Pigeon Island was also functioning and the dive center was also functioning. The hotel even did a fabulous beach BBQ dinner one night. We were three families in a group of ten persons and due to the fuel crisis we travelled in a hired coach, whereas normally we would have travelled in our personal cars. The fuel crisis is bad and long queues everywhere to get fuel but there are still vehicles on the road. Our coach driver was able to get fuel along the way with some perseverance. There are certainly some challenges but in a way if your a little bold and adventurous it is probably the best time for a tourist to get some good deals and also have a fabulous beach to yourself. The government is also trying very hard to kick start tourism again and giving all priority to this as they need to tourist dollars flowing in.

Old Jun 15th, 2022, 07:06 AM

Thank you Mohammed, our guy at the scene and crellston to inform us of this.

I hope your country rights itself asap.

The former owner of the dry cleaners I go to is from Gujarat and raved about SL though this was say 5-6 hears ago.

He said he would go back anytime.

BTW the late Anthony Bourdain filmed an episode there which revealed not only the food but the conflict as well. I think it was one of his best episodes,
Old Sep 13th, 2022, 09:25 PM

One of the most gratifying places to travel in Sri Lanka is the south coast. The area features stunning beaches, charming colonial villages, outstanding animal parks, as well as a number of Buddhist temples and shrines, serving as a miniature representation of the island.

Below are some of the best beaches in the south

1. Mirissa
2. Tangalle
3. Unavatuna
4. Hiriketiya - ideal for surfing
5. Bentota