Calgary to Victoria September 2020 Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2020, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip for September 15-30, 2020. I'd like help/ideas on how long to stay in each area, recommended hotels, sites not to miss, etc. We like nature, some photography, easy level hikes, shopping, good food, gardens (maybe September is too late for that). We will have a rental car. We prefer to not change lodging every night, but we also want to avoid long drives. We want the freedom to stop and see the sights when something presents itself. We like smaller inns vs big hotels. We are four active senior citizens. A tentative itinerary is Calgary, Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper, Mt Robson PP, Wells Gray PP, Lilloet, Kamloops, Whistler, maybe Alice's Lake PP, Vancouver, and Victoria. Thanks for your help.
Old Mar 9th, 2020, 07:09 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
I've been told that the best gardens are on Vancouver Island near Victoria at less than 1000 feet above sea level. (Never been there). Would it make sense to start in Vancouver and take a boat to Victoria?
Return to Vancouver and either rent a car there or take the ViaRail Canadian to Kamloops and rent a car there for the rest of your tour of the Canadian Rockies.
If you took the Canadian all the way to Jasper there are car rentals available within walking distance of the Jasper train station (been there, done that). Also inside the Jasper train station is a desk for the Brewster tour bus company that serves Banff, Lake Louise and Calgary.
Old Mar 9th, 2020, 09:45 AM

We've made this drive a number of times, taking various routes. Before I weigh in with suggestions - what arrangements have you already made? Believe it or not, September is still quite busy in the Canadian Rockies, and so lodging availability may well drive your route.
Old Mar 9th, 2020, 09:48 AM

As a suggestion for Jasper, take a look at Patricia Lake Bungalows. It's set a bit outside town in a lovely setting, the cabins are spread out vs. a hotel building, and they've been nicely renovated. https://patricialakebungalows.com/about-us/
Old Mar 11th, 2020, 07:00 AM

I would direct you over to the Tripadvisor forums. They are more active. Start with Alberta or British Columbia. I think you are trying for too much, but they can help.