Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Looking for an island with long stretches of beach

Old Mar 7th, 2020, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, I am trying to find an island to go to in April 2021. We will be on a honeymoon but it’s a second marriage so we are in our 50s; no kids! I’ve been to Aruba and the Bahamas several times and as much as I love it, we want to go some place different. The thing that I love about Aruba most is the long long stretches of beaches. I’ve been looking at the US Virgin Islands, Bermuda, and Saint Lucia. I’m not finding a lot of resorts right on a long strip of beach like that but I’ve just started looking. The info out there can be daunting to say the least! I also was looking for something a bit more lush. Aruba is very dry and desert like. We won’t do a lot of hiking or water sports. Mostly relaxing and spending time near the water and having cocktails. If any one has any thoughts, I’d love to hear them. Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 07:17 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
7-mile beach in Negril Jamaica is very beautiful. Jamaica is a lush tropical island.
https://www.negrilonestop.com/
...good website for Negril
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 07:59 AM

You are right, the USVI's, Bermuda and St. Lucia don't have long beach so cross them off your list as well as most other lush mountainous volcanic based island. Instead, look at the flatter coral based islands, especially the following location:

A) 7 Mile Beach on Grand Cayman - as the name implies this white sand beach is 7 miles long and you'll have your choice of dozens of resorts in various price ranges.

B) Grace Bay on Providenciales in the Turks & Caicos - a 12 mile long stretch of sugar white sand with a good selection of traditional resorts and "condo resorts" to choose from.

C) Long Island, Cat Island, Exuma, Eleuthera and several other of the Bahamas Out-Islands - all have coast lines with long stretches varying from about 2 or 3 miles in length to as much as 10 miles long. On the less populated island (Cat or Long) you'll find some "secluded" resorts where you'll be able to walk miles before reaching the next resort.

D) Anegada in the British Virgin Islands - miles and miles of beaches with very few people.

E) Anguilla - 35 beaches that range from 1/4 mile long to almost 3 miles in length.

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 01:22 PM

Reduit Beach on St Lucia is a long stretch of beach (5 miles apparently) as is Anse Cochon. Horseshoe Bay in Bermuda is also a long beach but in April will be too cool for swimming.

Antigua has many long beaches, for example Jolly Beach, Dickenson Bay. Barbados has one long stretch of stunning beach running almost the entire west coast with a broadwalk. Grenada has Grand Anse, not as long as 7MB in Negril or GCM. St Martin has several eg at Grand Case and has the advantage of restaurants within walking distance of the beach. I would have thought several Mexican beaches along the Riviera Maya would have met requirements too.
Old Mar 25th, 2020, 04:10 AM

Antigua has 365 beaches, one for each day of the year! Although the island is small, there are endless stretches of sand.
Old Mar 29th, 2020, 02:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Grand Cayman has nice beaches and beautiful water. It is like Aruba light. The bars are more beach bars and less nightclubs. Food is good, GC is quieter!

Bermuda, although no long stretch of beaches, it is a beautiful, quaint, nice island and is one of my favorites, BUT April will be too cold to go in the water. If you are golfers, this is a great time of year to visit Bermuda. I would scratch Bermuda.

I have never been, but Anguilla, supposedly is gorgeous beaches.
Old Mar 30th, 2020, 02:59 AM

Horseshoe Bay and Warwick Long Bay (about half a mile) in Bermuda are long stretches of beach. How long do the stretches have to be? Even GC's 7MB is not 7 miles long, more like 5. Grand Anse in Grenada is a long stretch of beach and you can find numerous long beaches in the French Caribbean.

There is no supposedly about it, Anguilla has gorgeous beaches eg Meads Bay (about a mile long), Rendezvous Bay (2 miles) etc
Old Mar 31st, 2020, 07:21 PM

Look at Shoal Bay Villas on Anguilla... I am a bit older than you but my husband and I are each other's second marriage (St. John 2001) so even though it has been a while I DO relate to what you want.. congratulations and best wishes for a wonderful second chance with each other.
Old Apr 7th, 2020, 03:23 PM

Sorry, Odin but while Reduit is absolutely beautiful, it is about one mile long, not five. In st. Lucia Vigie Beach is much longer. Anse Cochon is a very small beach on the west coast with great diving off it.

Sorry to correct you.
Old May 26th, 2020, 04:14 AM

Cat Island, Bahamas beautiful empty beaches. I was trying to post some pics but I am not allowed yet I need 5 posts to upload.
Old May 27th, 2020, 03:59 PM

Cat Island, Bahamas

Cat Island, Bahamas