ISO hiking advice/where to base oneself in the Spanish Sierra Nevada

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2020, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seeking advice from someone familiar with the Sierra Nevada and Alpujarras of Andulicia. During our upcoming (late March) two week tour of the region we've dedicated three nights to basing ourselves in the mountains for hiking. I’m struggling with choosing between staying in Capileira in the Alpujarras for three nights vs. the northern facing town of Guejar-Sierra.

We have accommodations in both while we decide, but it seems like the vistas of the rockier, more dramatic Sierra Nevada that you see behind Granada would be of greater interest for hiking? With the towns being on opposite sides of the range we won't have time to travel to both, so I'm hoping to find someone who can offer guidance on one or the other. Does weather that time of year play a significant factor (we will have trekking poles, hiking shoes, base layers, etc. no matter the location)? The local flavors and culture of the town are factors, but primarily trying to gauge the quality of the hiking and vistas in this case.

FWIW we're a couple in our mid 30s, no children with us. We typically hike 10-12 miles in a day, can push ourselves to more if the vistas are worthwhile, and enjoy challenging scrambles but not to the point of mountaineering. Many thanks for any first-hand experience one can provide!
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 06:23 PM
kja

I stayed in Capileira some years ago -- loved it! But it didn't make it to Guejar-Sierra, and so can't compare, and my visit was long enough ago that I wouldn't be surprised if things have changed. It's a beautiful area -- enjoy!
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, kja! I just found a variety of postings on TripAdvisor related to the area, just an FYI for anyone searching here and coming up short. I'm leaning towards Capileira but will report back with our decision and experience either way.