Lima Layover Tour Guide/Driver

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2020, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm so excited about our upcoming trip to Peru in May. We, 8 adults (2 couples and 4 "kids" in their early 20's), have a Lima layover of about 10 hours on a Saturday. Our flight gets in at 12 and leaves around 10 PM. I've read that it can take up to two hours to get to and from the airport so I imagine we have less time than we imagine. With a group our size, I think it would be easiest to hire a private guide/driver to take us back and forth and help us enjoy within our limited timeframe. I've looked on Trip Advisor but have not been "wowed" by the guides I have read about. Anyone here have suggestions for a reliable, informed, engaging guide? We are especially interested in food! Thanks!
Old Jan 30th, 2020, 04:38 PM
kja

Have you checked with taxidatum? I'm not sure they offer an actual tour of Lima (though they might), but if you were to identify your priorities, I'm sure they could arrange to drive you from place to place -- and really, you don't need a guide for Lima unless that's your preference. My experiences with taxidatum were in Lima, Cusco, and the Sacred Valley and were uniformly positive; I learned about them from two other Fodorites -- crellston and mlgb -- who both recommended them highly.
https://taxidatum.com/

If you haven't already seen it, you might find some useful information about your options in Lima in my trip report -- the section on Lima starts with post # 67
Praise for Peru – A report of my solo month in this amazing country

Old Jan 31st, 2020, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much KJA! I will certainly look at your trip report. Online, Taxidatum only has vans that can hold up to 10 people and there are 12 of us. I'll reach out to them and see. Thanks for the tip. It might be the right thing to have transport not related to guiding since I'm now looking at perhaps eating at one of the better-known restaurants and then taking a walking tour of Miraflores or Barranca or doing a food tour that covers both. I'll do more research and post on another thread about this. Of course, all ideas/critiques are highly appreciated.

Old Jan 31st, 2020, 05:25 PM
kja

Originally Posted by misha2
Online, Taxidatum only has vans that can hold up to 10 people and there are 12 of us. I'll reach out to them and see.
With such a large group, I'm sure you've given thought to splitting into two (or more) groups to accommodate different interests, or even just to make getting around easier!

Originally Posted by misha2
I'm now looking at perhaps eating at one of the better-known restaurants and then taking a walking tour of Miraflores or Barranca or doing a food tour that covers both. I'll do more research and post on another thread about this. Of course, all ideas/critiques are highly appreciated.
I'm rather embarrassed to admit that I splurged to dine at all three of Lima's highest end restaurants, and I describe my experiences in the trip report linked above. My advice would be to avoid Central -- over-hyped foods at excessive prices with horrible service. I loved Maido and was also very happy with Astrid y Gastón.
Old Jan 31st, 2020, 11:24 PM

It can take up to two hours to get tor and from the airport and whilst that has happened to us on an couple of occasions, 45-60 mins is more likely. You would likely arrive in Barranco or Miraflores around 14.00 allowing for getting out of the airport etc. For a 22.00 flight, presumably to Cusco? I would want to be back at the airport for 20.00 at the latest. That would give you six hours in Lima to explore maybe one area, two at a push and have a meal.

Taxidatum will not fit you all in one van but I would be happy booking two and letting them know that you all want to stay together. But they are not guides and rarely speak English if that is important. Do check the luggage storage options in Lima as I am not sure if there are any. If you are keeping the same car for the duration, then I woUsd be happy leaving bags in the care of taxidatum. Less so with any other tours or taxis.

Centro Histórico is one option. Lots of the classic sights are here, but I think it is a bit light on restaurants. Easy to cover the sights with just a guide book as most are close together.

Miraflores perhaps - the malecon is good for a breath of fresh air and a views of the ocean and hang gliders. Loads of restaurants. The Larcomar centre is a good place to head for. Parque Kennedy is walking distance ( but not sure if that is still under construction.

Barranco is quaint, very nice and quite compact. Lots of nice bars and restaurants, a few museums and a lot of interesting grafitti - some photos on our blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com/2016/05...barranco-lima/

Traffic in Lima is always bad and, in the time you have I would proabl6 not waste any trying to cover too much. The other alternative of course, if you are flying on to Cusco, is to tr6 and bring that flight forward.