Arizona and New Mexico

Search

Arizona and New Mexico

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2020, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arizona and New Mexico

My husband and I will fly to Phoenix on February 25 and home on March 4th. We want to visit Arizona and New Mexico. We like scenery and art. I cannot hike alot - 1 mile there and back is tops. We have spent two nights in Sedona before and have been to Lake Havasu. We didn't get to see Jerome and would like to. We are looking for suggestions for our 8 nights. Was thinking we could land at airport and take off for Tucsan for a couple nights. Someday want to see Arches, Lake powell, Mesa Verde, Canyonlands - but think this is probably another trip due to time of year. We saw Zion and Bryce last year. Any help would be appreciated. thank you.
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 06:26 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome to Fodors! Heading for Tucson after landing at Phoenix is probably good. See Saguaro NP and the things you want to see around Tucson. Next head to Tombstone. I don't know if they still do the reenactment of the gunfight at the OK Corral or not. Near Bisbee you can see the Queen mine. If you park in Douglas you can walk into Mexico if you have your passports.
Head into New Mexico on I-10 Spend a night in Las Cruces. The next day head east on US 70 and see White Sands National Monument. Stay on US 70 into Roswell. Maybe you will have an Alien Encounter but I doubt it. From Roswell take US 285 north all the way to Santa Fe. There is plenty of things to see and do in Santa Fe.
Spend another day in Albuquerque. Central Avenue in ABQ is the old Rt. 66. Research the things you want to see in Albuquerque. Leaving Albuquerque head west on I-40 back into Arizona. On the way back to Flagstaff, stop in Winslow to see the statue of Glen Frey "Standin' on the Corner". Yes there is a flat bed Ford on the corner and a beautiful mural on the wall.
I'm hoping that most of the snow will be gone in Flagstaff by the time you get there. You might not be able to get up Mars Hill to see the Lowell Observatory but give it a try.
Another thing my wife and I enjoyed in Flagstaff was the Riordan Mansion adjacent to the campus of Northern Arizona University.
If you wanted to take a detour off I-17, you could take 89A and go back through Sedona to Prescott.
Enjoy your trip even if you do see lots of snow.
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you...some great ideas....can't wait for our trip!
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 05:41 AM

Don't miss the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum in Tucson, not far from Saguaro NP. https://www.desertmuseum.org/

We really love the original El Charro Cafe in downtown Tucson. It's still located in what used to be an old house. Have some of their carne seca. https://www.elcharrocafe.com/
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 08:24 AM

When you were in Sedona, did you see the Sedona Heritage Museum? It is at 735 Jordan Road on the outskirts of Uptown Sedona. Sedona Jordan (maiden name) is the namesake of the city. There is a lot of local history inside and on the grounds. The Jordan's had a big fruit orchard among other pursuits.
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 09:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
We were in Tucson last April and it was wonderful. The cactus and Palo Verde trees were blooming. Yes, we also enjoyed the Desert Museum. It is near Saguaro National Park West. Other things we enjoyed in the area was the Titan Missile Museum which was fantastic! The Kartchner Caverns were wonderful and I feel a must do. We tied this in with Tombstone. Fun little town and actually pretty nice, not junky like Virginia City. There is lots more to see and do, but we ran out of time.

Earlier in this trip, we spent several nights up in Cottonwood. We stayed at the Tavern Hotel. Did wine tasting nearby at Page Springs Cellars, visited Jerome, and the Copper Art Museum in Clarkdale. The copper museum was fascinating.

I think you need to really plan out your trip as 8 days is not a lot for all the territory you want to cover.
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 10:29 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I generally try to leave the discounting of unrealistic suggestions to others, but I cannot let tomfuller's proposed itinerary stand. Because of this being a leap year, joanmbp, you have 7 full days to enjoy on the ground. A quick tally requires 2 weeks to do Tom's circuit hurriedly, 3 weeks to begin to enjoy it. I'm intimately familiar with almost all the territory covered in the suggestion and my recommendation would be to not consider it, generally speaking.

Now, having trashed one suggestion it's only right to replace it. I understand wanting to see parts of both AZ & NM on your trip but with only a week it's my assessment that you'll do yourself a disservice by including NM if you're flying into Phoenix, unless you skip AZ entirely & head directly to Santa Fe. In a week you could have a nice visit to Northern NM. Otherwise, stick to Arizona.

MichelleY & sludick have given you good suggestions. I'll give you a slightly different thought. Do some reading & determine how many days you'd like to devote to Tucson. For the balance of the time head east on I-10 to Karchner Caverns (reserve online for a tour), afterward head south on Hwy 80 to Tombstone. Continue on 80 to Bisbee, by far the more interesting of the 2 towns. If going underground interests you, yes, take Tom's suggestion for the Copper Queen Mine Tour, IN Bisbee, not near it. Stay 2 nights in Bisbee so you have 1 whole day there.

From Bisbee head west on Hwy 92 for sweeping views into Mexico. Continue through Sierra Vista on 90, then west again on 82. The drive through Sonoita & Patagonia is one of my favorite drives, rolling grasslands & ranches and is where, legend has it, the movie Oklahoma! was filmed. Continue to the end of 82 in Nogales, turn north onto Hwy 19. Stop to see the mission at Tumacácori then on to the artist community of Tubac. Stay overnight in Tubac, Green Valley or back in Tucson. That should fill your week nicely.

One more suggestion. Not far south of Tucson, just off 19 to the west, is San Xavier del Bac Mission, one of the most beautiful buildings, in my opinion, on the planet. It's located on the Tohono O'odham reservation so is free of urban encroachment that so often ruins the setting of historic architecture. Highly recommended.

https://azstateparks.com/kartchner/
https://www.discoverbisbee.com/
https://www.visitskyislands.com/
https://tubacaz.com/
https://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/Americ...c_Mission.html

Last edited by MmePerdu; Jan 19th, 2020 at 11:01 AM.
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by MmePerdu
I generally try to leave the discounting of unrealistic suggestions to others, but I cannot let tomfuller's proposed itinerary stand. Because of this being a leap year, joanmbp, you have 7 full days to enjoy on the ground. A quick tally requires 2 weeks to do Tom's circuit hurriedly, 3 weeks to begin to enjoy it. I'm intimately familiar with almost all the territory covered in the suggestion and my recommendation would be to not consider it, generally speaking.

Now, having trashed one suggestion it's only right to replace it. I understand wanting to see parts of both AZ & NM on your trip but with only a week it's my assessment that you'll do yourself a disservice by including NM if you're flying into Phoenix, unless you skip AZ entirely & head directly to Santa Fe. In a week you could have a nice visit to Northern NM. Otherwise, stick to Arizona.

MichelleY & sludick have given you good suggestions. I'll give you a slightly different thought. Do some reading & determine how many days you'd like to devote to Tucson. For the balance of the time head east on I-10 to Karchner Caverns (reserve online for a tour), afterward head south on Hwy 80 to Tombstone. Continue on 80 to Bisbee, by far the more interesting of the 2 towns. If going underground interests you, yes, take Tom's suggestion for the Copper Queen Mine Tour, IN Bisbee, not near it. Stay 2 nights in Bisbee so you have 1 whole day there.

From Bisbee head west on Hwy 92 for sweeping views into Mexico. Continue through Sierra Vista on 90, then west again on 82. The drive through Sonoita & Patagonia is one of my favorite drives, rolling grasslands & ranches and is where, legend has it, the movie Oklahoma! was filmed. Continue to the end of 82 in Nogales, turn north onto Hwy 19. Stop to see the mission at Tumacácori then on to the artist community of Tubac. Stay overnight in Tubac, Green Valley or back in Tucson. That should fill your week nicely.

One more suggestion. Not far south of Tucson, just off 19 to the west, is San Xavier del Bac Mission, one of the most beautiful buildings, in my opinion, on the planet. It's located on the Tohono O'odham reservation so is free of urban encroachment that so often ruins the setting of historic architecture. Highly recommended.

https://azstateparks.com/kartchner/
https://www.discoverbisbee.com/
https://www.visitskyislands.com/
https://tubacaz.com/
https://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/Americ...c_Mission.html
Thanks for the critique on my loop plan. I realize that it was a stretch for an 8 day trip. I will check out a couple of MmePerdue's favorites on our trips to AZ in the future.
Someday I hope to visit Smokey Bears grave in Capitan New Mexico
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 01:09 PM

You're a gentleman, tomfuller.
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 01:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If you plan on Kartchner Caverns, do them first, before touring any other caves or mines. They are trying to prevent the spread of white nose syndrome, a fungus that is fatal to bats. They ask you wash clothes and not wear shoes that have been in any other caves.

I am keeping notes on MmePerdu’s info for our next trip down there. More to see!
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your input...it is greatly appreciated!
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

mexico

Is it safe to cross the border into Mexico from Arizona or New Mexico?
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by joanmbp
Is it safe to cross the border into Mexico from Arizona or New Mexico?
Safe? Yes. Interesting? Not very. And you can get stuck in long lines coming back in by car at major crossing points. Going on foot avoids that issue but limits what you can do. It used to be fun but now I wouldn't bother.
Old Jan 21st, 2020, 06:44 AM

On Feb 10 my wife and I will walk across the border into Los Algodones Mexico from California (close to Arizona). We'll be at an event with close to 100 other Americans. Many US citizens go to that town for dentistry and other one day medical treatments. Many drugs (legal) are somewhat cheaper there as well. Sometimes the line to come back into the US takes about an hour.
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 11:56 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Why not fly into Tucson instead of Phoenix saving yourself the 1 1/2 to 2 hour drive on I-10?
Get tickets in advance for Karchner Caverns.
Tucson’s gems are the Mission San Xavier del Bac and Sabino Canyon.
You can also drive up Mr. Lemmon in the Santa Catalina Mts. to Summerhaven where you encounter a setting that looks like Colorado at 9500 ft..
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr
Why not fly into Tucson instead of Phoenix saving yourself the 1 1/2 to 2 hour drive on I-10?
Get tickets in advance for Karchner Caverns.
Tucson’s gems are the Mission San Xavier del Bac and Sabino Canyon.
You can also drive up Mr. Lemmon in the Santa Catalina Mts. to Summerhaven where you encounter a setting that looks like Colorado at 9500 ft..
I'm guessing that the OP compared costs flying to Phoenix vs. Tucson (maybe not)? In November DW and I flew to Phoenix-Mesa for our trip to the Grand Canyon etc.
Next month we take the train into Tucson (downtown) and rent a car in Tucson. Although the train goes through Yuma, we are not getting off there at 4AM.
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Flying into Phoenix...

Because it was the cheapest. I looked at airline prices into Phoenix, Tucsan, Albuquerque, and Santa Fe. I was surprised at how expensive they were. We don't fly early morning or evening so Phoenix was the best price snd only for the 8 nights. We decided to go Tucsan way because we have not been that way. Figure we can see Saguaro National Park and the Desert Museum on our way to Tuscan. We are hoping to attend Ash Wednesday Mass at the Mission the next day on the 26th. We have received great ideas for the Southern area of Arizona. Hoping to spend a few days there and then drive to Santa Fe...via White Sands weather permitting and then back to Phoenix by way of Petrified forest. This won't be our only trip....hopefully...we are so looking forward to this trip. Thank you everyone.
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 07:50 PM

You did a great job spelling Albuquerque and Phoenix but Tucson not so much. If my wife and I get back to Tucson early enough from Yuma on Tuesday 2/11 we'll visit the Sonora Desert Museum.
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by tomfuller
You did a great job spelling Albuquerque and Phoenix but Tucson not so much. . . we'll visit the Sonora Desert Museum.

I guess if we're name-checking it's only fair to make that the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum.

Old Jan 25th, 2020, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

vacation?

I think you guys need another vacation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -