Return to Wyoming

Old Jan 10th, 2020, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Return to Wyoming

DH and I are trying to decide whether we might want to return to Wyoming during a southwestern visit this coming June. In Wyoming we've visited the Tetons and Yellowstone (a couple of times). If we allow 8 days in Wyoming, Is there anything in Wyoming, skipping Yellowstone, Jackson and Tetons, that we should not miss? Our plans are pretty open at this time. Thanks for all advice.
Old Jan 10th, 2020, 12:40 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Maybe Cody and Devil's Tower? Where are you coming from? If you wanted to go east, you could visit Badlands and Mt. Rushmore in South Dakota.
Old Jan 10th, 2020, 12:56 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I agree with Cody. There's enough to see and do there for several days - and go to Meeteetse too! Maybe go for a drie to see the wild horses. If you haven't been to Little Bighorn, do that. The drive from Cody to there is one of the prettiest drives in the country. Stop and expore Shell Canyon. Looks more like Sedona than Wyoming. And then I'd spend a couple of weeks exploring the central part of Montana and maybe Glacier NP. Some of my favorite places are outside the NPs. If you like baseball, go to a Mustangs game in Billings.
Old Jan 10th, 2020, 03:20 PM

Where are you starting from? What are your interests?
Old Jan 11th, 2020, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

I should have been more specific. We are flying in and out of Denver, and would be coming from Estes Park. The 8 days are in addition to any time we will spend in Colorado. I neglected to mention we have previously visited, as well, Cody, Devil's Tower, Badlands, Mt. Rushmore and Glacier N.P. . Our interest is beautiful scenery. We have not previously explored much in eastern Wyoming except for Devil'sTower and Cheyenne. We've thought of starting by heading from Estes Park to Laramie. Maybe then to Rawlins and north to revisit the Tetons, and maybe again, Yellowstone. Then, we are re-thinking that's a long way and back for the allocated time. I don't think we'd venture as far as Little Big Horn as I'm told it's just a field with historical narration. My impression is there isn't a lot to see in southeastern Wyoming. If there is some beautiful scenery in that region, we'd love to take the drive. We have traveled quite a lot over the years, so are now looking for roads less-traveled. We have always been grateful for advice given on these forums.
Old Jan 12th, 2020, 11:16 AM

Sw Wyoming is gorgeous (spend a couple hours digging your own fossil fish in a beautiful setting near Kemmerer; keep what you find, great fun, IMO).
Old Jan 12th, 2020, 11:18 AM

Also, Thermopolis is a wonderful place to visit.
Old Jan 15th, 2020, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sylvia3
Also, Thermopolis is a wonderful place to visit.
Thank you, Sylvia for your kind suggestions.
Old Jan 15th, 2020, 05:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vedauwoo rock formations near Laramie

Rte 130 over the Snowy Range past Lake Marie and Medicine Bow peak to Rte 230 to Rte 70 to Rte 789 to Creston is a possible routing for you. I would not spend any time in Rawlins and from that area to Thermop is a long haul altho the springs are worth a stop IMO but I'm very biased.

Last edited by Dukey1; Jan 15th, 2020 at 05:36 PM.
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the advice, Dukey.