Possible trip 3/27/2020 to Oslo from NYC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25th, 2019, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We don’t travel with a specific budget, but we are always of a somewhat frugal mindset. Found a great airfare deal to Oslo on 3/27, and could potentially fly back from Bergen or another city. I have an early spring break off work (3/30 - 4/3). We have never been to Norway. I know Norway is expensive. We would get an Airbnb, and figure out the food and drinks. Not a problem. Wondering if we’d have time for Oslo, Bergen, and Lofoten.

Would like your input on fjords, northern lights, and train ride from Oslo to Bergen, and if we would have time for Oslo, Bergen, and Lofoten during this time of year. Is there any area where having a rental car would be a must? Are there good day cruises to see fjords or is it worth it? Maybe seeing fjords from a different vantage point would be better?
Old Dec 25th, 2019, 03:37 PM

I'm not really sure how many days/nights you will actually have in Norway. Maybe you can clarify this.
Oslo and Bergen would be a very usual "combo". The Bergensbanen connect both cities by rail, which is one of the most impressive railway trips in Europe.
One of the most popular trips to see fjords would be Norway in a Nutshell (just google this) - a full day trip with boat and trains from Bergen.
Aside from this, you can book tons of tours from Bergen (also on the NiN website), e.g. just boat trips.
Lofoten are roughly 1,000 miles North of Bergen, so it would require a domestic flight. To explore the area up there, you'd need a rental car.
Old Dec 25th, 2019, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. We would have about 7 days.
Old Dec 26th, 2019, 06:39 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
You have barely enough time for Oslo, NIN, and Bergen. Save the Lofoten Is for another trip .
Old Dec 26th, 2019, 08:01 AM

Don't miss the museum area in Oslo which includes a skansen, the Viking Ship Museum, the Kon-Tiki museum and the Fram Museum, to name what I think are the most important.

https://flic.kr/p/7qovFkhttps://flic.kr/p/7qsubhhttps://flic.kr/p/7qsufN
Old Dec 26th, 2019, 08:44 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If your whole trip is 'about 7 days' you'd have less than 5 days on the ground
Old Dec 26th, 2019, 12:49 PM

I’m not a fan of Airbnb, but I think you might find B&B’s or even smaller hotels in the same price range. Just a thought.

Will add that with 5 days on the ground, your best option would be to spend a couple of days in Oslo. Will also recommend the Open Air Museum Michal suggested. It is located on an island an easy ferry trip 20 minutes or so from pier in Oslo along with the the Viking and Kon -Tiki museum. Take the train to Bergen you can but certainly don’t have to do it via NiN. Bergen can easily take a full day or more.
Old Dec 26th, 2019, 02:44 PM

My husband and I briefly visited Norway over 6 nights as part of larger trip that included 5 days in Copenhagen and a couple of weeks in Spain, (though after seeing Norway, we dream of returning to see more). Even though we had so little time for this Norwegian portion of our trip, we thoroughly enjoyed it, felt we saw a lot, and got a sense for what we'd like to do on a future trip. We flew into Bergen, then the next day did a one day "Basic Fjord Tour" in and out of Bergen, then on our third day caught the train from Bergen to Oslo, which normally takes 7 hours, but as there was a fire on the track, took us 10 hours! Then we spent three nights in Oslo, visiting the museeums on the Bygdoy Peninsula, and within Oslo itself, Vigeland Park, the Munch Museum, the National Gallery, the Museum of Cultural History and a few other attractions. Because we knew we'd be visiting a lot of museums and taking public tranportation, we found it practical to buy an Oslo card.

We decided to book our one-day Basic Fjord Tour in advance, but it seems there were many people just booking tours on the spot at the Bergen tourism office. There are many other tour operators, but we wanted to tour the fjord in a RIB boat.

The weather was beautiful when we were there (June 2018). We loved Bergen--very pretty (the good, clear weather was a plus), visited the art museums, and took the tram to Mt. Floyen. I was disappointed that we didn't have enough time to catch the cable car to Mt. Ulriken.
https://www.floyen.no/en/floibanen/
https://en.visitbergen.com/things-to...le-car-p824813

Last edited by Diamantina; Dec 26th, 2019 at 02:47 PM.
Old Dec 26th, 2019, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Diamantina and everyone else for your replies. We might have longer than 5-6 days on ground, as I have to be back to work on 4/6.

This may be our only time ever going to Norway. My bucket list is to see Northern lights and fjords, as I have never seen either. Can this be accomplished in the time we have at the end of March/beginning of April?

Last edited by Ihope2travel; Dec 26th, 2019 at 04:32 PM.
Old Dec 26th, 2019, 06:34 PM

The Northern Lights can be sketchy. No one can guarantee you’ll see them but you certainly don’t need to be far north in Norway to see them. Best seen away from city lights but you do have options other than Oslo and Bergen. If traveling along the NiN route and, as I stated, it doesn’t have to be with NiN, you travel along one of the most popular fjords. If you can get to Balestrand either via ferry/ catamaran from Bergen, you can travel the Sognefjord which I thought was beautiful with a far lees touristy feel. Also north of Balestrand is the Fjaerlandsfjord, my favorite. In fact, I suggest you plan on spending several days in Balestrand. A perfect stop IMO. Great for touring several exceptional fjords and for viewing the Northern Lights. Easy to get to from either Bergen or Flam.Possibly taking train from Oslo to Flam then ferry to Balestrand.
Old Dec 26th, 2019, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much. I will be looking up all of these places!
Old Dec 26th, 2019, 07:38 PM

I just realized you will be traveling in March which is early season for a number of Norway’s accommodations. May have to base yourself in Bergen and tour from there. Possibilities may be
limited. Certainly there are plenty of early spring options they may just be too far afield for your time period.

I suggest you also post on Trip Advisor as there are several Norwegian experts with vast knowledge on traveling Norway.
Old Dec 26th, 2019, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ihope2travel
Thanks so much Diamantina and everyone else for your replies. We might have longer than 5-6 days on ground, as I have to be back to work on 4/6.

This may be our only time ever going to Norway. My bucket list is to see Northern lights and fjords, as I have never seen either. Can this be accomplished in the time we have at the end of March/beginning of April?
March is late for northern lights, and you'd have to be pretty far north for that. As to fjords: you'll best placed in Bergen which is a great city in its own right. It'll have the best transport options for you.
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 01:17 AM

March is top season for Northern Lights tourism up north where Tromsø has the best infrastructure but is already overloaded and there won't be a big choice in accommodation now for March this year - https://www.visittromso.no/
Could you get a through ticket to Tromsø?
Fly to Tromsø - stay as many nights as possible to get best chance of Northern lights.
Fly to Bergen (worth a couple of nights there).
Norway in a Nutshell tour to Oslo - https://www.norwaynutshell.com/original-tour/
Night in Oslo (again worth a couple of nights) Fly home from Oslo
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 01:29 AM

Around the equinox is normally a good time for Northern Lights, but you will need to go north for them, and since we are at Solar minimum at the moment your chances are lower than normal of seeing them. Since you are in the US you have plenty of chances to see them if you head up to Canada, or Alaska. They are not restricted to Norway and Iceland, and are often better in North America. Keep an eye on the forecast sites.
With so little time on the ground, unless you are absolutly determined to give the lights your best shot, stick with southern Norway. Take the train to Bergen, one of the most beautiful train rides in the world even if you don't go off on the NIN route to Myrdal.