Search

saying hello after long absence. My trip to Jamaica

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2019, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
saying hello after long absence. My trip to Jamaica

Hello All,
I have been away from the Lounge for a while, and I have missed you all. The good news is that after a lot of physical therapy and hard work, I am becoming mobile again. I have now had total knee replacement in both knees, and have made a solid recovery. I needed to be working on my knees and you know how addictive the Lounge is, so I had to resist the temptation. I am still working on stairs and long walks, but have achieved great movement, and can begin to plan travel again! I have been invited to Jamaica for the holidays, and I leave in about 2 weeks, so I will be researching on the Caribbean forum, and likely posting some questions there.I look forward to getting caught up on my Fodorites posts and news. Wishing you all the best of the holidays and the upcoming year.
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 01:40 PM
Amy

Welcome back, and so many congratulations on your hard work gaining you mobility! Hope your Caribbean trip is lovely—it sounds wonderful to me right about now.
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 01:43 PM

It’s good to see you again! Glad your recovery is coming along well. Have a great time on your trip!
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 01:53 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Welcome back! Best wishes on your continued recovery progress.

Sadly Caribbean forum isn't very busy here on Fodor's unfortunately. But you can try. Where in Jamaica? I know Negril ;-)

Again WELCOME back to the Lounge. You will likely find it a lot quieter than when you left, but there's a few of us still hanging around!
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 02:01 PM

Welcome back!
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 02:11 PM

Welcome back and congratulations on your recovery! Enjoy your holiday travels.
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the warm welcome and the wishes Jubi, Florida 1 and kureiff. Amy - I think you and I came to the Lounge at about the same time.

Hi Suze, a friend from work's grandmother has a place way out in the country outside Port Maria and says they will take me all around and show me the real Jamaica. I may bring pastels or paints with me in case they're not up for it some days. I can't afford to rent a car for 2 weeks, and actually from what I've rad have no desire to drive while there. Not sure where we'll be exploring, but I do land in Montego Bay, which is about an hour away, I think. Pretty sure we plan to explore there, so I am open to any tips or recommendations you may have. I will post on the forum there. Do they really not let us post on travel destinations here? I've been away a while. And quieter - where did people go? groups elsewhere? if you could share, that's be great. Hope you're doing well. Look forward to finding your various posts as I read through the forums and Lounge.
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 03:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome back ninasdream! Glad that you are doing well and are able to travel again. I can't help with Jamaica but I hope you have a truly wonderful time!
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 04:03 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
That should be a very cool trip since you are going with a friend with relatives on the island. Trust me, you do not want to drive yourself around Jamaica! Period. And let them be your guide even in Montego Bay (don't go wandering around on your own). Sorry I only know Negril, I've been there a few times for laid back, beachy vacations. What you're doing sounds different and really special.

Oh they let you post on travel forums here, I'm just saying some branches get very little traffic any more. I'd check Trip Advisor for Jamaica forums.

And I have no idea where people went as far as the Lounge, some quit, I hear some are on Facebook. But our "attendance" is significantly lower these days here. But thankfully we haven't been kicked out entirely
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 04:06 PM

Yea for successful surgery and being able to travel again. Good to hear from you, and enjoy Jamaica.
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 04:15 PM

Welcome back ninasdream! I have missed you on WFD. I am glad you are doing well and hope you have a wonderful time in Jamaica.
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 04:19 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Glad the surgeries went well and you've regained your mobility. Happy holidays in Jamaica! It's great to be able to travel again after a (too long) pause.
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 04:33 PM

So great to see you pop up again. Glad the knees are working well again.. I can’t help anymore with Jamaica.. far too long since I lived there but do be careful. Don’t wander off on your own. Have fun..
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 04:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi ninasdream; You are doing great with your recovery. Plus, gardening is also great therapy.

Richard
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 05:31 PM

Welcome back Nina. I have missed seeing you around here. Jamaica beaches are so nice. If you make it to Ocho Rios, stop by The Jamaica Inn for me.
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 06:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am so glad your dream did not become a nightmare!

Good luck. I hope you see some seagulls in Jamaica.

Thin,aristocrat
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 06:26 PM

In the immortal words of Jean Shepherd “Keep your knees loose”
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 06:35 PM

Welcome back! Nice to see you and your knees here again!
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 06:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Welcome back, Ninasdream!

Hope you have a great “knees-up” on your holiday
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 07:31 PM

Welcome back, nice to have someone returning again after and absence and glad your knees are coming along great.

Have a Merry Christmas in Jamaica

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -