Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

To That Special Place: A Holiday in New Zealand, Sydney, and Hawaii

Search

To That Special Place: A Holiday in New Zealand, Sydney, and Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2020, 11:47 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Have you been eating the pineapple? I remember it was to die for. I ate it all the time.
Old Jan 4th, 2020, 11:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Larry, you're welcome. I hope you make it back someday. The Missouri is definitely worth it.

Yestravel, yes, we've had pineapple every day we're here and it's amazing. The only pineapples that come close but still not quite are the ones from Queensland, Australia.

From Wet to Good to Great

Today marks the final day of what has been an incredible journey across New Zealand, Sydney, and Hawaii. It was going to be another early morning for us, as we had booked a helicopter flight over Oahu - scheduled for 8:00. Looking outside my hotel room window, it was drizzling with mist hanging over the area. Will the scheduled flight go forward? Honestly, I thought it was going to be a 50/50 chance, given the forecast. Anyway we headed for a quick breakfast at Dukes Lane Market and Eatery next door to our hotel. The shuttle arrived at our hotel promptly at 6:50 to pick us up; as we were about to depart we received a call that the flight needed to be aborted due to inclement weather. The operator suggested putting us on standby for the 10:00 flight if conditions improve. So it was back to our hotel rooms, where we enjoyed coffee on our balconies overlooking the water and a glimpse of Diamond Head. By 8:30 we received another call that the 10:00 flight needed to be cancelled as well.

We moved forward with Plan C. Plan B was to visit the Bishop Museum this morning, but we already went there yesterday. Plan C was a hike to Manoa Falls. We called a taxi to take us the 20 minutes to the trailhead. When we arrived rain was coming down strong. So we headed into the gift shop and waited out the storm. There were a few glimmers of hope but the skies continued to open.

After an hour and a half of waiting, we aborted our plans and took a taxi to Chinatown, where we enjoyed an authentic dim sum brunch at Legend Seafood Restaurant. We also walked around the neighborhood, browsing its markets and visiting a few houses of worship (a Buddhist temple, a Taoist temple, and a Shinto shrine). We strolled through Foster Botanical Garden, enjoying the few flowers on display as well as several interesting tree species.

From there we traveled to Ala Moana Center, a major shopping mall, for a look around. And then it was back to Waikiki. We ended our trip with a gorgeous, gorgeous dinner (the food was absolutely divine - the best we've had in Hawaii) at Duke's with a table overlooking Diamond Head and the sands of Waikiki, with joyous music playing in the background. What a perfect ending to one of our top trips ever!

As we return home I cannot appreciate enough how fortunate I am to be able to take this trip to the folks who are nearest and dearest to me. And to be able to share it with my friends here, I'm blessed.

Thank you for taking this wonderful journey with me. I will be happy to answer any questions you have and offer any advice on your future travel plans as I am able.
Old Jan 5th, 2020, 01:08 AM

Thanks for sharing! I'm sad to see this trip come to an end!

What a romantic sunset. I also love the daytime photo of the beach at Waikiki (very tempting).I wasn't aware of the Byodo Temple. It's impressive. So glad you found the Bishop Museum interesting.

I hope you have a great return journey home.
Old Jan 5th, 2020, 02:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
<<Thanks for sharing! I'm sad to see this trip come to an end!>>

Me too. I love the fact that you had not only plans A, B & C, but plan D too.

Safe journey home.
Old Jan 5th, 2020, 08:01 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for taking us along. Safe travels home.
Old Jan 5th, 2020, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Diamantina, Ann, and yestravel, thank you for your well wishes. In transit in Dallas at the moment awaiting my final flight home.
Old Jan 5th, 2020, 01:17 PM

Again thank you for you for taking the time to write this TR. It was most gracious of you to share it with us.

Safe journey home.

Larry
Old Jan 5th, 2020, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

Larry, thanks. Appreciate your and others' encouragement in the process. Just arrived home.
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 01:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
welcome home, TP.
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Ann, thank you.
Old Nov 12th, 2020, 04:32 PM

Thank-you for taking the time to write your wonderful trip report and the photos were beautiful!1
Old Dec 17th, 2020, 10:22 AM

NZ, Sydney

How did your trip go? Always wanted to go there! I did go to Oahu & Maui though.

Lynn