A taste of Puglia - Polignano a Mare

Old Nov 26th, 2019, 12:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A taste of Puglia - Polignano a Mare

So I’m now in Puglia and first stop is Polignano a Mare. This makes a quieter base than Bari. Getting here is really easy. There is a train from the airport to Bari Centrale and from there it’s a half hour train journey to Polignano a Mare at a cost of €2.50. I’m staying at an Airbnb just outside of town in a lovely, peaceful spot. It is near to a small beach and a 15 minute scenic coastal walk into town. En-routes are lots of hidden coves and small beaches. digAs you get closer the views of the town perched on the cliff become more dramatic.The walk into the old Town is over the famous bridge with the view of the equally famous beach.An archway marks the entrance to the Old Town.It is a maze of small streets, alleyways, beautiful churches and lovely shops, bars and restaurants.davdavOf course everywhere there are shops selling the delicious Italian ice-cream. I have had one every day. The owner of the villa I’m staying in pointed out a fantastic wine shop. They make an excellent red wine in this area called Primitivo. This shop serves it straight from the barrels and a 3 litre container cost me €7.50.Of course you also have to try the pizza. In my case 4 cheese with spicy salami.It felt like I was walking into the sunset.For me one of the best things about travelling is the people you meet along the way and the new friends you make. The other people from the villa are from Hong Kong. Tonight we shared food, wine, music and most of all laughter. I have also finally found a wine glass which fulfills my needs.So after saying a hond farewell to my Hong Kong friends, it was time for more exploring.davdigThis afternoon the woman who owns the villa I’m staying in took me, her mother and her English bulldog to a small beach on the, other side of town. Had my first swim in the sea. Antonella doesn’t speak English, her mother doesn’t speak English and the dog doesn’t speak English. Luckily her mother speaks some German so we we were able to have a conversationThis photo to me says contentment.A lovey day has to be rounded off with lovely food. There is a lovely restaurant 5,mins walk from where I am staying. Tonight with the full moon reflecting on the water it was beautiful. The waiter said the moon was just for me, I’m not sure I believed him.davII tried Orecchiette, a pasta this area is famous for, served with fresh tomato and mozzarella. Then fresh cooked whole and then filleted at my table.mdeIn Polignano a Mare I stayed at Casa sei Sospiri bookable on trip advisor.

Last edited by Moderator1; Nov 27th, 2019 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Removed masthead
Old Nov 26th, 2019, 07:17 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We loved staying in Polignano a Mare! The views were beautiful of the Adriatic,with waves crashing below our room. The town has a lot of charm with the Old Town as a focus.
Old Apr 9th, 2022, 12:38 PM

Wine sounds amazing

Spoiler

Last edited by chickenlittle; Apr 9th, 2022 at 12:42 PM.
Old Apr 9th, 2022, 12:38 PM

Wine sounds amazing

[I'm planning a trip back to Polignano Amare next month I was wondering what the name of the wine store was that you referred to and the restaurant where are you ate the Orichetti? Thanks for your great report I really enjoyed reading it.
Spoiler

Last edited by chickenlittle; Apr 9th, 2022 at 12:41 PM.