Search

Tasmania late April 2019

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tasmania late April 2019

We will be back in Australia in April next year visiting family and friends in Sydney and the Gold Coast. We have a 5 night window for a sightseeing trip elsewhere and are considering options - one is Tasmania. How do people feel about visiting that time of year? For example, what would be the chances of being cold, wet, overcast and/or miserable? Any help most appreciated!
Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 01:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can check climate averages online but it will probably be variable. Certainly not warm. Colder inland than on the coast. We were at Cradle Mountain in January one year and it was freezing.

Kay
Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 01:51 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey Ralph! Long time no see!

I wouldn't hesitate visiting in April - we visited in early April one year - the weather was a mixed bag of rain and beautiful sunny days (although I will admit to freezing our bits off in our cabin in Bronte Park because the only heat source was a wood burning stove and the temps were well below the April average).

The bigger issue was closures over Easter, from Good Friday through Monday - nothing was open, including restaurants and gas stations.
Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 10:35 PM

I was in Tasmania in early April 2018 only for 5 nights, three nights, one day in Hobart, three days and two nights on Maria Island, where it was very warm and sunny (I felt hot). I experienced one day of cloudy weather in Hobart, but it was not cold, nor did it rain. I'd been to Tasmania before.
If this is your first time visiting Tasmania, I'd suggest saving it for when you'll have more time, at least 8 days, preferably a little more.
Where else were you considering?
Old Dec 1st, 2019, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Mel - I'm still kicking! Trying to organize the trip to accommodate everyone's wishes is like herding cats - have nixed the Tasmania option unfortunately
Old Dec 1st, 2019, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Kay and Diamantina!