Second Croatia trip - visit Vis?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I enjoyed a wonderful trip to Croatia in 2018, so much that in June 2020 we'd like to return after visiting Poland and Budapest. Traveling Bud/Zagreb, we have 8 nights in Croatia. Having already visited Zagreb, Plitvice Lakes, Split/Trogir, Hvar, Korcula, and Dubrovnik, we're debating where to go this time. Looking for mainly chill time, since we will be museumed-out by this point. Maybe visit a winery or two, enjoy some good food, people-watching in cafes, take a bike ride, easy hike, maybe a little beach time, though we're not sun worshippers.

- We'd really like to spend a few days on Vis as we've heard great things and it's not really touristy.
- Since we only had 1 night in Korcula the last trip, this may be an opportunity to rent a car and see more of that island too.
- Open to other ideas, it's not in stone that we need to visit 2 islands. I'd even thought of doing a day trip to Kotor from Dubrovnik (overnight in Cavtat), but not sure if it will work logistically. Staying on Vis complicates things.

We can return from either from Split (morning flight) or Dubrovnik (morning or evening flight) to hook up with our flight home.

This is what I have so far, based on 2019 ferry/catamaran schedules. I hate to waste a lot of travel time, and from Vis it's hard to get anywhere except back to Split. Yep, I know we'd blow a whole day just getting to Vis from Zagreb. Maybe we should rethink that? We spent 3 nights in Split last time, so not interested in spending more time there.

Mon June 15 Bud/Zagreb
Tue Jun 16 Zagreb/Split via bus or a.m. train, then Catamaran to Vis 3:15/5:20 (Alt: 6:30pm ferry)
Wed Jun 17 Vis
Thu June 18 Vis - day trip to Blue and Green cave
Fri June 19 Vis
Sat Jun 20 Vis/Split 7am/8:25am catamaran then Split/Korcula Krilo catamaran 10am/12:30pm
Sun Jun 21 Korcula
Mon Jun 22 Korcula
Tue Jun 23 Korcula/Dubrovnik catamaran 10:10a/12:05pm /Dubrovnik fly 9:55pm ** what to do with luggage until flight?

Any suggestions, i.e. alternate itineraries, would be appreciated.

Thanks
VG10
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 02:15 PM

How about the Istrian peninsula. Basing in Rovinj and visiting the hill towns and towns along the coast? We spent 6 nights there last summer but didn't get to everywhere we wanted so I think 8 would be good. You do need a car for the interior towns but driving was easy.
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 03:41 PM
kja

I haven't been to Vis, but not for lack of interest, and I really enjoyed Korcula. Given your interests for this trip, I think those would be great options. Or, if you aren't committed to revisiting Korcula, you have plenty of options between Zagreb and Split -- Zadar or Sibenik, and also Pag or Rab or one of the other islands of the Kvarner Gulf. And I'm not sure how you plan to get to Zagreb, but you might look into options to skip Zagreb this trip, stopping in one of these other locations instead. Fair warning: I doubt that there are particularly convenient options for doing so.

If you don't already have it, the Rough Guide provides particularly good coverage of these areas IMO.
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 07:28 AM

Looks fine to me. Unfortunately it looks like Krilo reduced their Vis sailing options.
You will want to rent a car, bike, or scooter in Vis. The tourist office can advise you how to get to some superb coves like Stiniva.

Look at Lastovo options also--it is quiet, natural like Vis, but well connected with Split and Korcula (Jadrolinija).
I'd check for slights to Split or elsewhere, so you don't have to do the Bus-Zag-Split leg. If you fly to Pula, you can rent a car and drive on Cres and Mali Losinj--wild gorgeous landscapes!

Store luggage at a "garderoba" -- tourist office can advise you.
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the ideas and tips. I'm looking into flying Bud/Split to regain a day. When I'd checked earlier I don't think there was a decent flight listed, but now I see an option on Google flights, no non-stop though, for about $127pp. Rough Guide for Dalmatian Islands a big help. Thanks, Kja. Yorkshire, thanks for the tip on "garderoba." Looking into other options besides Vis. It's a pity there are such limited catamaran/ferry routes. Originally I was thinking of Istria but for some reason, I haven't been able to convince my husband. It sounds lovely to me. Well, maybe someday.
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 04:19 PM
kja

I wouldn't think the Rough Guide for the Dalmatian Islands would cover the islands I mentioned, or those yorkshire just mentioned -- they're all north of the Dalmatian Islands.
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Yes, you're right, different regions are in different Rough Guide Snapshots, I'm getting the full Croatia guide. Thanks.
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 04:00 PM
kja

Originally Posted by VG10
different regions are in different Rough Guide Snapshots, I'm getting the full Croatia guide.
I think you'll find it worth having -- there's a wealth of information in there!
Old Nov 6th, 2019, 05:44 AM

" Tue Jun 23 Korcula/Dubrovnik catamaran 10:10a/12:05pm /Dubrovnik fly 9:55pm ** what to do with luggage until flight?"

Why not leave Korcula the evening before at 19.25 and spend a full day at Dubrovnik?
https://www.jadrolinija.hr/docs/defa...9.pdf?sfvrsn=0
Old Nov 7th, 2019, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by neckervd
Why not leave Korcula the evening before at 19.25 and spend a full day at Dubrovnik?
https://www.jadrolinija.hr/docs/defa...9.pdf?sfvrsn=0
We spent 3 nights in Dubrovnik last year in Old City and while we enjoyed it my husband says he's done with all the steps. Though he says he will rally to visit the Buza Bar one more time! I may look into a slightly earlier flight than 10pm though.