Search

What to do in Australia.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2019, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do in Australia.

My husband and I have a trip planned to Australia in November. We enjoy the outdoors and are looking for recommendations. We have several full days in a town and are allowing a full day of travel between locations. We’re hoping to see some “off the beaten path” features. We don’t mind renting a car. Our flight itinerary is as such:

Nov. 6 - Arrive in Cairns
Nov. 6-10 Cairns area
Nov 11 - Fly to Perth
Nov 12-16 - Spend in Perth
Nov. 17 - fly to Sydney
Nov. 18-20 Spend in Sydney
Nov. 21 - fly back to US

Thanks!
Old Aug 24th, 2019, 02:55 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I could write a book on Western Australia. What are your interests? Do you plan to spend all your WA time in Perth?
Old Aug 24th, 2019, 09:50 PM
Original Poster

It sounds like going south is the way to go in WA. I think Margaret River would be a good fit. Sounds like we need to do whale watching while there. We also enjoy wine which seems to be prevalent in that area. We prefer outdoor activities and natural wonders.
Old Aug 24th, 2019, 10:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it was me, I'd stay in Port Douglas but Cairns is fine too. They are just different. Cairns is much bigger, has no beach and would probably be cheaper for accommodation. Port Douglas is much smaller but a bit pricier. I prefer the feel of Port Douglas and if you stay near town, everything is pretty walkable. We did a good day trip years ago, driving from PD up to Cape Tribulation. That included getting a cable ferry across the Daintree, not sure if that's still necessary or if they've built a bridge.

In Sydney you might enjoy the walk along the coastal path from Bondi Beach to Coogee. We did this a couple of years ago and loved it. The bus from the centre of Sydney goes to Bondi Beach, you can get fish and chips in Coogee before getting the bus back. The walk was often fairly crowded and there are some stairs along the route. Take a hat, sunscreen and water. https://www.bonditocoogeewalk.com/

I've been out to Rottnest Island a couple of times and would love to go again. It's a ferry ride from Fremantle. We liked staying in Freo, you can catch the train into Perth for the day or there are tourist boats along the Swan River.

None of these are off the beaten path but all are mostly outdoors and we'd recommend them to visitors.

Kay
Old Aug 25th, 2019, 02:17 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
The SW of WA is definitely the way to go. Problem is time. There is so much to see and do, yet distances are vast, so you'll really need to narrow down what most appeals to you and plan accordingly (personally, whale watching wouldn't even make my top ten, but if you do go, be aware it can be seriously rough out there!).

The closest options for whale watching trips will be Perth and Busselton.

More info here:
https://www.geographemaritime.com.au

Don't miss Kings Park in Perth:
https://www.bgpa.wa.gov.au/kings-park

I lived in WA for seven years and couldn't get enough of the SW. Here are a few of my (albeit dated) trip reports that might give you an idea of drive distances, things to see and do, etc.

A Long Weekend Escape to Pemberton, WA

The Wonders of Western Australia: Trip Report & Slideshow

So much to do, so little time. A long weekend in Margaret River
Old Aug 27th, 2019, 03:41 AM

Great plan! I can suggest you a few spots in Cairns, which I found beautiful. I don't know that will help you or not but just sharing some random info.
1.Cairns Botanical Garden.
2.Kuranda Scenic Railway.
3.Palm Cove.
I hope you will enjoy your days as you planned. Happy travel.