What to do in Luxembourg?

Old Aug 21st, 2019, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do in Luxembourg?

Hello everyone!
This October I plan to travel to Brussels and Luxembourg for 4 days. Actually we need to pass by Brussels before taking bus to Luxembourg. It's the cheapest way to reach Luxembourg.
Should we spend 2 days in Brussels and 2 days in Luxembourg? Is 2 days enough for Luxembourg? Or is it better to just pass by Brussels and spend the whole 4 days in Luxembourg? I heard that Brussels is small and has not much to do. We have not decided yet
And could you recommend some place to see in Luxembourg? Any reviews about the local foods?
Thank you very much in advance!
Old Aug 21st, 2019, 03:22 PM

Hello,

"Actually we need to pass by Brussels before taking bus to Luxembourg. It's the cheapest way to reach Luxembourg."

Taking a train would be more comfortable, if not faster and it's not that expensive

"Should we spend 2 days in Brussels and 2 days in Luxembourg?"

That sounds good.

" Is 2 days enough for Luxembourg?"

How long is a piece of string?

It's a small country and you can see a lot in 1-2 days, but I'm sure it would be easy to spend a whole week without getting bored.

"I heard that Brussels is small and has not much to do."

That's not true.

"And could you recommend some place to see in Luxembourg?"

I had only 1 day in Luxembourg and I could see only a couple of sights outside the capital. I can recommend Bourscheid castle with amazing view and it's nice walk to the castle from the nearest train station Michelau.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourscheid_Castle

The national Military Museum in Diekirch is also very interesting, 90% of the exhibits is about the Battle of the Bulge. If you're interested in that battle, you could aslo go to Bastogne, which is in Belgium, but close to Luxembourg with frequent buses from Wiltz.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...y_(Luxembourg)

Other famous sights of Luxembourg:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vianden_Castle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Family_of_Man
Old Aug 21st, 2019, 03:27 PM

I assume you mean Luxembourg City vs. the country? Yes, the country is tiny - but there are some delightful small towns you can visit like Vianden if you want to get away from the city. I spent one night in Luxembourg City a few years ago. It was OK - didn't exactly charm me. It is unique in that the old town is surrounded by a big canyon or ravine; you can hike down in there, it's basically a park. I took the bus and train from Luxembourg City out to Diekirch to see the war museum (part of the Battle of the Bulge took place near there) and to Vianden. I also took a bus to the Luxembourg City suburb of Hamm to see the American military cemetery there. General George Patton is buried there.
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 01:58 PM

It's not true that Brussels is small with not much to do - it is bigger than Luxembourg City and I can give you enough to do there to fill a week. What are your interests?

Luxembourg City is quite pretty but there is not a lot to actually do there apart from the casemates or a walk down to the bottom of the gorge. I still liked it though. I would probably do two days in each, but the two days in Luxembourg would be one day in the town, one day seeing surrounding countryside. Petrol is cheap in Luxembourg; in the ironically named Wasserbillig (lit. 'water cheap'), you get many drivers from Germany queuing up to buy cheap fuel there.

Lavandula
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 11:07 PM

One night in Luxembourg is enough. You're selling Brussels short. When I worked in Lux, we would go to Trier for excitement.
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 02:54 AM

I think it would help to understand the motivation for this trip.
Luxemburg (city and country) and nearby Trier and Mosel valley would be smaller historic towns, nice landscapes, food & wine, nature etc.
Brussels is a big city with many great museums, lots of architecture, lively restaurant and pub scene and so on.
Quinessential apples and oranges.
With only four days, it's more Brussels or Luxemburg. Or Brussels plus sidetrip to Gent or Brugge, IMO.
But it depends on what you want to see and do.
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 03:24 AM

"With only four days, it's more Brussels or Luxemburg."

I'd agree with this, but the OP said: "we need to pass by Brussels" - and it kind of make sense to check out Brussels if it is on your way.

One reason I'd devote more time to Luxembourg than to Brussels on this trip is that Luxembourg is a bit out of the way and you're less likely to return there or pass by it than to Brussels which is a true crossroads of Europe with frequent high-speed trains to London, Paris, Amsterdam and Cologne. Then you have the great Flemish cities of Antwerpen, Brugge, Ghent which are a must for any traveller seeking history and art of Europe(plus beer). The OP has good chances to return to Belgium for one reason or the other and than she could easily spend another day or 2 in Brussels adding more depth to his first impression visit,

Check out this blog of a local traveller:

https://paulinaontheroad.com/travel-blog/luxembourg/
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

thank you guys very much for your suggestions! So I will stick to the plan 2 days each. Btw, Brussels is close to Brugge right?
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 08:00 AM

Brugge is only 1 hour by train from Brussels, and Brussels is close to pretty much every place in Belgium(especially to places in Flanders), being in the middle of the country and the hub of the rail network.
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 01:34 AM
Original Poster

Oh that sounds nice Thank you guys. I just had some research about Brugge and decided to go there besides Brussels