Munich and/or environs

Search

Munich and/or environs

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2019, 08:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Munich and/or environs

After a river cruise next spring, we'll be staying with a friend near Munich for 3 days. She has a car and has asked us if we want to spend time in Munich or the countryside. We tend to prefer smaller towns/rural or natural areas so would like some ideas of places that may be interesting to visit as day trips. I'm sure she'll have some good suggestions, but wonder if there are some special places that Fodorites could suggest.

I am especially looking for places for great photography shots. Saw Dennis' photos of Bamburg and Wurtzburg, which seemed to be the kind of places I'm thinking of.

Is there anything in Munich that is a "must see."
Old Aug 19th, 2019, 09:13 PM

Just for starters:
Are we talking about one or more day trips from your friend's location? Or three days "on the road"?
The state of Bavaria is appr. the same size as Ireland. Depending on the actual location of your friend, a trip to Bamberg would be quite a drive if it was just for the day.
The "usual suspects" for day trips in Munich are in the south (where the real mountains are). Picturesque smaller towns or larger villages would be Mittenwald, Garmisch, Bad Tölz, Murnau, Schliersee, Bayrischzell, also Kufstein (in Austria). If you like castles and palaces, Garmisch + Linderhof or Rosenheim + Herrenchiemsee, Burghausen and, obviously, Füssen + Neuschwanstein and Wieskirche would be obvious choices.
Munich may have more than 1 million inhabitants, but the historic city center is much more mid-sized old town than metropolis.
If you are into arts, you probably want to check out the museums in Munich.
Old Aug 19th, 2019, 09:40 PM

I think St Munditia is a must see. YMMV

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/...t-of-spinsters

hofbrauhaus was a fun (although touristy) place. I’m sure there is equally good beer all over Munich, but I was pleasantly surprised there. It wasn’t my idea to go, but I’m glad I went.

if you like science and technology museums, Deutches Museum is among the largest in the world. It’s a bit of a mixed bag, like most science museums, but impressive all the same.
Old Aug 20th, 2019, 03:59 AM

How far from Munich is your friend’s place and in what direction? I really enjoyed spending time in Regensburg and Rothenburg ob der Tauber last year. We also stayed in Munich and did a nice day trip to Herrenchiemsee.

I haven’t been to Bamberg or Wurzburg but hope to next time. I tend to prefer smaller places to cities too. You could just ask to visit some smaller towns and possibly spend one day in Munich in the old town centre.
Old Aug 20th, 2019, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I will definitely check them out. These would be individual day trips.

My friend is in Freising near the airport and she said about 30 minutes to Munich by train. Although I like museums, when time is limited, I would much more prefer to spend time "out in the area" and observe/participate in the local life .

DH has some problems walking, so also thinking of places perhaps where he could sit--enjoying the view/coffee/wine or beer--while friend and I explore. We never have a problem finding a place for him to sit, but want to give us places to see in a reasonable area.
Old Aug 20th, 2019, 05:25 AM

From Freising, it's an easy drive (or short train ride) to Landshut.
That's a pretty small town with a castle (museum), old town, cobblestone streets etc.
Walking up to the castle can be exhausting. But your friend could probably drive you up there.

Kelheim + Weltenburg monastery and Danube bend
Also nice short boat trip from Kelheim - weather permitting. Not much walking required.

Regensburg - lively uni town with a major palace (and other things to visit).
Not exactly a "small town", but still no "big city feeling".

By the way: Freising itself is pretty cute, old town + cathedral. And, of course, Weihenstephan - the oldest brewery in the world (and the beer is still good). You can tour the brewery if you want:
https://www.weihenstephaner.de/en/ou.../brewery-tour/