Driving trip along Queensland coast (& photos)

Old Aug 21st, 2019, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KayF, before I left NZ for Cairns, I printed out schedules for the North Stradbroke Water Taxi and and the Stradbroke Island bus schedule to take along on my trip. I also printed out directions and detailed maps from Google maps on how to get from South Brisbane train station (which was closest to my accommodation) to Cleveland Station. From there I would've needed to walk to the stop for the #258 Toondah Harbour bus then get off at Emmett Drive near Middle Street, which is only a short walk from the Toondah Harbour Boat Ramp. The entire journey from South Brisbane train station to Toondah Harbour Boat Ramp should have taken about an hour and 20 minutes (according to Google maps). It didn't seem too difficult. I'm sure I would have enjoyed this journey--and found it interesting as I like seeing new places from public transportation--but with my worsening cold and the weather being wet and a chilly (though not by NZ South Island standards), I felt I had to pass. I hope I'll get another chance. Twelve days for visiting Queensland was just too little time!
Old Aug 24th, 2019, 09:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Diamantina, thanks for posting about your trip. Love your photos! I'm pretty sure I haven't seen any email notifications about these newer posts but we've had some health issues so maybe I've been distracted. Glad you enjoyed your time here. So sorry you caught a cold, not much fun at any time but you certainly don't want one on holidays!

It's amazing the difference if you go away in peak season or low season. When we were in Port Douglas, we could have eaten anywhere, some places were quiet, especially if you ate early. I've just realised I put the wrong caption on the seafood platter photo, that was in Port Douglas at the pub on the corner, up towards where the Sunday market is. The photo of your platter makes my mouth water, yum.

We did a day trip years ago from Port Douglas out to the reef and snorkelled (I snorkel very badly) from the moored pontoon. We just wore bathers so it must have been during the warmer months. Your description of wearing two wetsuits made me feel very cold. You are braver than me. I think if we visit Moreton Island I'll check when the cruise ships are docking there and try and avoid the crowds. I'll check out Straddie by public transport. We could drive to Cleveland but we like using public transport when we can and if it's convenient.

Kay
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 09:03 AM

Great report. Thank you for sharing. We have got a trip to see family in Sydney planned for sometime next year and will probably spend a couple of months there in total. A road trip is on the cards for part of the time there so you have provided inspiration!
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 02:59 PM

Sorry to hear you've had health problems, KayF. I hope you feel better soon.

Sounds like Port Douglas was way busier for our visit than it was during yours. It wasn't even Australian school holidays. Of course, there were plenty of other nationalities on school holidays. But we still had fun. And Oaks Resort was quiet and relaxing.

The Moreton Island ferry was also quite full, but I think most of the passengers were connecting to the whale watch cruise. The resort itself was not crowded. But you're right to avoid cruise ship days.

I envy your being able to snorkel the reef in your bathers!

Thanks again for your advice.
Old Aug 27th, 2019, 01:08 AM

Crellston, come see us in northern NSW. We’re next door to Border Ranges NP, great hiking opportunities and we have an almost self contained cottage for visitors.
Old Aug 29th, 2019, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by sartoric
Crellston, come see us in northern NSW. We’re next door to Border Ranges NP, great hiking opportunities and we have an almost self contained cottage for visitors.
Be careful what you offer sartoric! We have a habit of accepting invitations to meet up .
Son, DIL and new grandchild just arrived at Heathrow a couple of days ago - will be trying to fill in our plans with them when they arrive with us next week.
Old Aug 30th, 2019, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by crellston
Be careful what you offer sartoric! We have a habit of accepting invitations to meet up .
Son, DIL and new grandchild just arrived at Heathrow a couple of days ago - will be trying to fill in our plans with them when they arrive with us next week.
Ha ha. I have the same MO. I find it can be very rewarding, and if not, we move on.
Enjoy the new grandy
Old Mar 6th, 2022, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Topping for a friend...