Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Boston to Prince Edward Island

Search

Boston to Prince Edward Island

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2019, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I still would have opted for NS the first year, for multiple reasons.

A ) It's farther in (out?) there, and the one you're least likely to come back to.

B ) NS is likely more scenic than the others

C ) A trip in/out there to NS the first year would necessitate your learning little tidbits and having impulses for what to do with that 2nd-year trip to the others.

Although, I am glad to see that you are targeting Hopewell Cape as part of the NB journey, as that reduces the need to span that far out from Cape Breton and Halifax in that direction, when trying to get the best of the Maritimes. (a point more useful to those who fly to Halifax and begin trying to cover everything from that vantage point)

SO often here at Fodors, somebody has one week, flying into Halifax, and it is a tad challenging to get them to have reason to get over to Hopewell Cape, when everyone wants to go north to C.B. or even south to Lunenburg and Mahone Bay.

At any rate, I hope you mark-off LOTS of spots in PEI and NB so that your focus a year from now can be thoroughly Nova Scotia.

Old May 23rd, 2019, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

I really do hear you. It is a very tough decision but we will go back! Thanks, W
Old Jul 25th, 2019, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Hi. Wanted to provide feedback on our trip since you were all so kind. Everything went perfect. The hotels, the food, the service, the weather, the people, but most of all the thing that stood out was how clean NB and PEI were! Canada knows how to do it!! We should all learn from them.
It was fantastic as long as you don't mind a lot of driving which it was. We don't.
We drove from Boston to St. Andrews (6 hours) and stayed at the Algonquin Resort for one night and walked to the downtown and had a great light dinner (chowda and salad) at the Harbour Front on their outside deck. We then went to Hopewell Cape and stayed one night at the Innisfree B&B. Artie and Heather were fantastic hosts! Great place and the closest to the Hopewell Rocks which is why we went there. What an amazing experience. The tide changes about 40+ feet every 6 hours. We were able to see it at high tide and then walk the ocean floor amongst the huge rocks during low tide. Based on recommendations had dinner at the Cape House. Also wonderful. Then we went to PEI and stayed at the Dalvay by the Sea for 3 nights. Great location within PEI National Park.

Amazed at how much farming is done in PEI. We never realized. We also never realized how nice their beaches were. We hade such a great time. Ate at the Blue Mussel Cafe in North Rustico (my favorite!!), The Merchant Man in Charlottetown, and Piatto Pizzeria for Pizza the 3rd night also in Charlottetown. Again, all wonderful. Charlottetown is highly recommended for anybody who hasn't been there,. We went for amazing walks along the water and Victoria Park. They have many restaurants and shopping outlets although we really aren't into the shopping. We also took the eastern coastal drive which was beautiful but beware, it isn't all coastal view but still very nice. Stopped at the Copper Bottom brewery on one of the drives...fantastic!!!! Also had the opportunity to bike part of the Confederation Trail which was one of the main reasons we went there. We were very tempted to go to the Brackley Drive In but decided not to. We did do the boardwalk trail (on water) at Greenwich which was great. From there we went to the Samoset resort in Camden Maine for two nights . Great Maine seaside location. Had plenty of lobster!
Again, we had a great time and looking forward to Nova Scotia next summer. Next immediate plans is Olympic National Park in a few weeks.
Thank you all once again. We greatly appreciated all of your help. Warren,
Old Jul 26th, 2019, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by WarrenWST
Next immediate plans is Olympic National Park in a few weeks.
Amusingly, I just went to ONP a month ago - Hurricane Ridge is pretty awesome.

Thanks for letting us know what you did.