Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

JFK to a hotel near Pennsylvania STN. Getting by train (w/suitcase) doable?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2019, 10:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings!

First time in NYC arriving at JFK and staying at a hotel about 5 min walk from Pennsylvania station as well as 34 Penn station. I'm coming from Tokyo, so I am used to getting anywhere I need to go by train (metro and commuter trains are clean and convenient). However, seeing that this is my first time, I am not sure whether I should challenge getting to the hotel by using the AirTrain > Jamaica station > then E line or Port Jefferson.

What worries me is that during transfers, I have to leave Jamaica station and walk outside to get onto another train/metro(?). How easy is it to navigate and with a heavy suitcase would that be doable? The same goes for walking from either Pennsylvania station OR 34 Penn station to the hotel. My flight gets in at 5 pm on a Monday, so I assume I should reach my hotel around 7- 8 pm? Is that a rush hour on the trains at that time?

My other option is to get a taxi (70USD) or arrange a shared shuttle (about 30USD, but not sure which company is reliable and whether it would take a long time seeing that it's not a private transfer).

Would appreciate any help or advice in choosing what works best for a single traveler first time in New York )

Thank you!
Anna
Old May 3rd, 2019, 01:51 AM

If you have wheels on your suitcase you should be fine. DO not understand the Port Jefferson stop.
If you take $5 air train to Jamaica then the $7.75 Long Island Railroad to Penn Station (you can buy
ticket on platform) you should be fine.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 03:20 AM

I've taken the AirTrain and the subway several times and it has not once been troublefree. The AirTrain bit is easy & reliable and so is finding the next train is but I have allways encountered delays, train diversions, cancellations especially at weekends with buses put on certain routes to take you to the nearest operating subway. Therefore I only take public transport on arrival as if I am late it doesn't matter but never to JFK to catch a flight, it's been too risky IMO.
The other thing is if you have luggage, dragging them up and down stairs at the stations is a real pain or even just trying to get out of one as you can't use the ticket gates where you swipe your metrocard or turnstiles. Using the ticket machines is also a pain, sometimes they don't work, they will ask you for a zipcode if they do, I put any zip code in and it works.
For a first timer to JFK/NY, I would take a yellow cab outside arrivals or the shared shuttle service.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 05:07 AM

Once you exit the Airtrain station, you'll be on the top deck of Jamaica Long Island Railroad station. I'd strongly recommend paying a little more to take the LIRR (you are not limited to the Port Jefferson line ... take any Manhattan-bound train from Jamaica since all terminate at Penn Station). If you take the E train, it will both take longer and put you a longer walk from the hotel. Frankly, at 5pm on a Monday, the train will be crowded, but it will be a much much quicker ride than a taxi or shuttle, which might take well over an hour. The train takes about 30 to 40 minutes depending on the number of stops. However, just to be clear, you will need to purchase a PEAK ticket, which is more than $7.75. It's $10.75. The Airtrain costs $5 at all times.

Without knowing your hotel, it's hard to say how difficult that last 5 minutes will be, but it's unlikely to be too difficult. The station will be extremely crowded with commuters, but if you are from Japan, it will certainly not be as crowded as Tokyo Station at rush hour. It usually takes a little over an hour to go from the plane to Penn Station if you take the LIRR, but it depends on how long you have to wait for the next Manhattan-bound train.

You'll have absolutely no issues doing the same thing in reverse. The LIRR has a schedule, and it keeps it. If you allow 1 hour and 15 minutes to get to the terminal you'll be fine. If you've done the trip from the airport, it's not more difficult to return.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the answers!
I'll be staying on W36th near 8th Ave, at a hotel near DoubleTree by Hilton. Does not look like a very long or complicated route from Penn Station.

Odin, your description surely scared me senseless ). I agree with you that I would not want to risk taking the train to the airport. In my case, it's actually going to be EWR not JFK flying out. I think to get to EWR I'll be taking a taxi from the hotel just so that I don't have to worry about getting lost. !
Using the ticket machines is also a pain, sometimes they don't work, they will ask you for a zipcode if they do, I put any zip code in and it works.
. What does it mean that the machine asks for a zip code? what kind of a zipcode--final destination?

Rhea and Doug, thank you for the heads up on LIRR. If I decide to go by train, I'll make sure I take this company's train.
The station will be extremely crowded with commuters, but if you are from Japan, it will certainly not be as crowded as Tokyo Station at rush hour.
. Probably .

I've already downloaded MTA etix which I understand can be used to purchase a one ride tickdet from Jamaica station to Penn. Can this app be used to purchase subway tickets too?