Beaches in Vigo or Malaga area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2019, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are Southern Californians who have also been to Hawaii and Florida, so going to the beach is not a high priority on a European trip! We've heard of lovely beaches in other countries, only to find they are nothing more special than we can visit here. That said, we do have the option to visit Samil Beach in Vigo, Spain, or one of the Costa del Sol beaches near to Malaga, and wonder if any are truly worth the while. Will they be too overcrowded in June? Do they have decent bathroom amenities and lifeguards? Is there anything to make them stand out from other beaches? Which are best for swimming, running alongside or lounging in restaurants? Worldwide beachgoers, chime in!
Old Apr 13th, 2019, 01:43 AM

Forget it.
In June, the water will be rather cold.
I don't know Samil Beach (the Aatlantic coast of the Iberian Peninsula would be too cold for me anyway).
There are some somewhat nice natural beaches in the provinces of Murcia (Calblanque and beaches West of Aguilas) and Almeria (Cabo de Gata Park), all without cabins, baywatch, etc.
The organized beaches are really nothing to write home about.
Old Apr 13th, 2019, 03:54 AM

The Costa del Sol beaches are a joke if compared with Florida and Mexico resort beaches. Do not waste your time.

Malaga is so gorgeous! Do skip the beaches and explore this wonderful, exciting and vibrant gem of Andalusia.
Old Apr 13th, 2019, 08:34 AM

Some of the most beautiful beaches in Spain are on Islas Cíes a ferry boat ride from Vigo.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2...-francis-drake
Old Apr 13th, 2019, 08:40 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
But I thought you only had a few hours in Malaga. Are you considering going to the beach instead?
Old Apr 13th, 2019, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Ha! Not me! But my son might enjoy it.....
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by vinonobile987
The Costa del Sol beaches are a joke if compared with Florida and Mexico resort beaches. Do not waste your time.
That all depends on what your criteria for a beach is. Personally I find the long expanse of sand of the likes of Floridian beaches flanked by hotels and condo's to be quite boring, plus I don't enjoy being in close proximity to sharks.

For me, a sheltered cove flanked by cliffs and with calm shallow waters (much of which can be found in Mallorca and other mediterranean islands) beats any Carribbean or American beach I've been to. That being said, the beaches around Malaga aren't of that kind but the best part of them are the vareity of excellent places to eat. I'm not going to go to Malaga to sit on the beach or even enter the frigid sea but rather sit outside on a beachfront resataurant and enjoy some excellent seafood.
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by jc_uk
That all depends on what your criteria for a beach is. Personally I find the long expanse of sand of the likes of Floridian beaches flanked by hotels and condo's to be quite boring, plus I don't enjoy being in close proximity to sharks.

For me, a sheltered cove flanked by cliffs and with calm shallow waters (much of which can be found in Mallorca and other mediterranean islands) beats any Carribbean or American beach I've been to. That being said, the beaches around Malaga aren't of that kind but the best part of them are the vareity of excellent places to eat. I'm not going to go to Malaga to sit on the beach or even enter the frigid sea but rather sit outside on a beachfront resataurant and enjoy some excellent seafood.
Totally agree and I stand corrected. I meant only upscale resort beaches in Florida and Mexico with superior service and everything that comes with it.

i never even go for a swim in Florida (not very clean waters on the beaches where we have been, even in Key Biscayne) but really enjoyed turquoise ocean of Mexico beaches.

Malaga beaches are not too attractive and I was not impressed with Marbella beaches as well. It is the city of Malaga which stole my heart, not the beaches.

I would love to see Mallorca - have not been there yet.
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 07:26 AM

Ah yes, you can't compete with a serviced resort beach whether it's in Mexico, Thailand, Barbados or Tahiti. Personally I prefer a pool, I find sand annoyingly intrusive, it gets everywhere but a good pool overlooking a good beach is a great compromise. I don't think there are any particularly good beaches anywhere along the Costa Del Sol. The best voted beach in Europe is actually in Wales......

Old Apr 14th, 2019, 06:43 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
From Sept 2018.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...hhbHJfOFNHS2VB
Old Apr 15th, 2019, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all, this is just the kind of input I needed!
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 11:50 AM

Opinion from a local to Travelerwife.

Estepona is the best beach of Malaga area. In June, not crowded.
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 11:52 AM

Estepona, not only a nice beach. Good food ( pescadito frito ), nearby white villages, a perfect place to relax in June

Old Apr 19th, 2019, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by jannie_1947
Opinion from a local to Travelerwife.

Estepona is the best beach of Malaga area. In June, not crowded.
I agree, Estepona is a very underrated area. A very good, long stretch of sandy beach with an excellent promenade complete with lots of activities to do along the beach. But what's best is the fantastic old town that is mere yards from the beach where fantastic restaraunts fill gorgeous squares. Often overlooked by nearby Marbella which is relatively poor in comparison.

We have a Marriott timeshare in Estepona which we return to year after year and never tire of the area.