New Zealand or Tasmania?

Old Jan 1st, 2019, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Zealand or Tasmania?

After a conference in Australia,we have a few days of vacation. Which one? We prefer to stay away from the crowds. Love to hike and visit historical sites. Any help would be appreciated. They both look great!
Old Jan 1st, 2019, 11:33 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Where in Australia is the conference? What time of year? How many days is a 'few'?

A few days doesn't go very far in New Zealand. And as I'm sure you're aware, Tasmania is IN Australia.

We really need more information to help.
Old Jan 1st, 2019, 02:26 PM
Forum Moderator

Moved to the Australia & Pacific Forum
Old Jan 1st, 2019, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Conference is in June. We have seven days... I am aware Tasmania is in Australia. It is a long trip from the states and wanted to use it wisely. Thanks.
Old Jan 1st, 2019, 08:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
June in Tasmania will be pretty cold - it's the middle of winter. If you don't mind the cold or rain, then it will be quieter there than the mainland as the population is tiny compared to other states. I think historical sites are pretty thin on the ground in Australia compared to other countries. I know we have a long history of people living here before white settlement but there is not a lot easily accessible from that early period. There are aboriginal rock art sites if you wanted to visit them. Other than that Sydney or Tasmania would I guess have the most historical buildings.

If you want to hike, there are places fairly close to Sydney or Melbourne if that's where the conference is being held. The Blue Mountains is a car or train ride away from Sydney and the Grampians (Halls Gap is the main town) is terrific for walks and about 3 hours drive from Melbourne. If you drive to the Grampians you could also visit Ballarat which has some lovely buildings from the 1850 gold rush. It will be winter though, though that's relative if you live in a cold climate yourself.

You don't necessarily have to add extra flights to Tasmania or NZ unless you want to, is what I'm getting at. Where is the conference? Are you happy to hire a car and drive around?

Kay
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 04:57 AM

I think Tasmania would be best as you only have a few days. Cradle Lake walks and the wombats (at dusk); Strahan (boat cruise up Gordon River); Hobart (lots to see and do - waterfront, museums, Battery Point) & Port Arthur (old prison settlement in beautiful setting) would be my choices for such a short time.