Norway in a Nutshell one way... luggage question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2018, 11:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if we do the NIN from either Bergen or Oslo does anyone have any suggestions on what to do with luggage? It’s a month long trip so we will have suitcases which would be a pain to ‘drag’ on & off trains and ferries. I’m sure we aren’t the first people with this problem.

We’re thinking one night on the route somewhere (with a small overnight bag)and then continue the trip on from Oslo or Bergen.
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 07:10 AM

We had to take care of our own luggage when doing the NIN.
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 07:47 AM

You could send them ahead perhaps vis FedEx or similar shipper but only if did a few days in advance - doubt if Norwegian Railways ships bags but check on that.
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 07:50 AM

https://www.porterservice.no/
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 08:02 AM

I used the porter service JJZZ posted and was very satisfied with their service.
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 09:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you as always.
Old Nov 1st, 2018, 06:21 AM

I used the porter service last week and I could not have been easier. The porter showed up at the hotel right at the scheduled time and our luggage was waiting for us in Bergen. We watched people struggling with their bags on the trains and buses and knew the price of the porter service was money well spent.
Old Jan 9th, 2019, 06:56 AM

Another thumbs up for Porter Service

Last edited by dyoll; Jan 9th, 2019 at 06:58 AM. Reason: duplicate
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks dyoll, Christmas break now officially over for us, so in the process of booking. Love to hear about your NIN experience.
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 09:28 PM
Original Poster

Porter service booked, thank you.
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 06:13 PM

Similar question... but is a hotel a requirement? We prefer to stay in Airbnb apartments, but would love to take advantage of the porter service for NIN.

If the porter service requires hotels, and we choose to stay in hotels to use the porter service, I’d love some Oslo and Bergen hotel recommendations (2 adults, 1 child, prefer centrally located, etc).

Thanks!
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 06:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
In Oslo and in Bergen we stayed (2 adults, 1 child) at the Radisson. In Oslo, there are several. We stayed at the Radisson Blu Scandinavia at Holsberg's Gate, which is centrally located, has the best buffet breakfast, and an indoor pool (our kid loved the pool!). Would highly recommend. In Bergen, we stayed at the Radisson Blu Royal Hotel on Bryggen wharf, an easy trek to the train, and again, centrally located. We had mentioned that our son was having a birthday, and the hotel brought us to our room the most delicious chocolate cake I think I've ever had, with a fireworks candle that my son adored!
Old Apr 6th, 2022, 11:50 AM

In case anyone is wondering about this porter service (linked above) for transfer to/from Airbnb apartments vs. hotels, I thought I'd share an update from my own research.

They do accommodate such transfers. The company told me they can pick up from any address in Oslo; in Bergen, however, because of the narrow streets and/or the need to have someone present to accept delivery, they told me they would have to deliver early the following morning to an Airbnb or similar location (but can deliver to hotels no problem).

So if you have a lot of luggage and want to use this service to avoid the hassle, just carry toiletries and a change of clothes with you and accept delivery of your luggage the following morning.
Old Jul 23rd, 2022, 07:45 PM

I have just finished exploring porter service, and they couldn't be more responsive and easy to deal with us. Our plans were not routine, and after explaining in an email,we worked out all the details. Use the inquiry form on their website, and they will get right back to you. I was so happy not to have to schlep the heavy luggage around. I will fret some, but after reading the comments here, by confidence factor has risen and we will use them between Bergen and Oslo. I was told that some hotels are less cooperative with them, so best to have your hotels selected so they know. The major hotels seem not to be a problem.