Search

Brisbane to Broome... live (ish) trip report

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2018, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brisbane to Broome... live (ish) trip report

It’s a big country.

After months of planning we are finally on our way. We are two couples with two caravans making the huge drive across this amazing continent, we have 6 weeks. All new to caravaning but no strangers to adventure. We’ve cooked planned and done a lot of smaller practice trips. Our first major destination will be Longreach, with overnight stops in Mitchell and Tambo. I’m going to try and update here regularly.... if I don’t get ‘car sick’ doing it.

A very different trip trip for us, but thought it was time to see our own country.
Old Aug 5th, 2018, 07:56 PM

Safe journeys to you. I look forward to hitching a ride. Especially eager for the Kimberley bits.
Old Aug 6th, 2018, 09:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My parents enjoyed caravanning for years and reluctantly gave it up not that long ago. It's on our radar too, we would be complete novices so I'll look forward to your adventures.

Safe travelling.
Kay
Old Aug 7th, 2018, 11:04 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
ok, first of all I had to find out where Broome is, and then how far it is from Brisbane.

Wow - 4,664 kms, and according to google maps, 52 hours of driving, give or take.

As this is probably the closest I will ever get to the centre of Australia, I'm going to hitch a ride on the back of your 'van [you won't notice me with such a large vehicle] and join in.

Good luck to us all!
Old Aug 7th, 2018, 03:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Good for you! I’ll be along for the ride, too.
Old Aug 7th, 2018, 05:08 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Tuning in...looking forward to following along on your adventure!
Old Aug 7th, 2018, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

Hi Ann, welcome aboard.

We’ve had a wonderful couple of days. Left Mitchell and headed towards, Charleville, too early for lunch so just had a cuppa and a brief look around town. Headed on to Blackall home to ‘The Black Stump,’

(an old tree stump used by surveyors in the 1800,s as a marker. Anything west of the marker was considered remote and ‘uncivilised,. Therefore ‘Beyond the Black Stump’)

If I’m honest, it wasn’t anything special to ‘see’ but as an Aussie it was good to read the story and tick it off the list of iconic Australian sites.

We decided we were all fresh enough to have a long driving day, so actually made it to Barcaldine, about 8 hours from Mitchell. The scenery is amazing, so so dry, the drought has a firm hold on this country. The road kill is phenomenal, mostly kangaroo’s but did see a huge cow/bull and an enormous pig. We made it into Barcaldine (home to the ‘Tree of Knowledge’) late afternoon. Settled into our home for the night, the local showgrounds, what a great concept. Took a walk after dinner into town to have a look at ‘the’ tree. Wow, again another iconic Aussie story and in the day light, it is literally a dead tree stump. But at night it really is great, they’ve done an exceptional job of displaying it with lights, so that it appears to be a huge tree.

Had a night cap in one of the 5 pubs in town and headed to bed with the resident Rooster asleep under our van. (fear not, he’d moved on by morning…phew)

We had a short drive to Longreach yesterday morning and arrived in time to visit the Stockmans Hall of Fame, and see the 11am show. This should be a must visit for every Australian, what a fantastic facility and the ‘out back stockman show’ is such good value. Its equal parts funny and educational. Settled into our very dry and dusty park for the night and we were having afternoon drinks when we were visited by the resident Brahman Bull and its ‘rider’. So Aussie!!!!! He stayed for a while and chatted then told us there would be entertainment and drinks in the Woolshed from 6, so off we went. A lovely atmosphere and a great way to end a terrific day.

We are staying here again tonight, will visit the Qantas museum and have a good look around Longreach.
Old Aug 7th, 2018, 10:06 PM
Original Poster

Old Aug 8th, 2018, 01:27 AM

Hi Aussiedreamer,

Wow that is some van you have there!!!
And ah the red dust - it's been a while since we have been outback driving so joining in to enjoy this report.
Our trips many years ago took place with at least two offspring on board (sometimes three) so they were a little less long but we loved being 'out there'.

Just reflecting that it was you who inspired us way back in 2013 when you wrote about going to Mayrhofen for Christmas! We headed off the following Christmas to Seefeld and have since continued to go summer walking in the Tirol and now the Dolomites a bit further south.
I love reading your reports so really looking forward to this one.
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 02:21 AM
Original Poster

Oh lovely to hear from you love_travel_aus. Yeah it’s a great van, it’s great to have the deck to get out of the dirt. Off to ‘The ‘Isa’ tomorrow to experience our first rodeo ��
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 12:15 PM

Goodness we packed in a few kms in our first day. It got a bit dusty on the back of the van there and that road kill was rather grim but the stockman show was great! Fab van too! Looking forward to the rodeo.
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 02:36 PM

Gosh your van with all the pullouts looks amazing. Is that your first van? We went to the recent caravan show at Brisbane showgrounds and just about every van we looked at had a bathroom with shower and toilet. Very different from when we were growing up. I'd be interested to know what things you use a lot in your van and what you could do without - oven, shower, microwave etc etc. We've been thinking of trying to manage with a small van but that means less 'things'.

Kay
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 08:53 PM

Count another one hitching a ride here!

Looking good, if dusty!
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

So many road trains but all very courteous.

Our wide brown land.

My ‘Isa steak.
Greetings from Mount Isa. Great drive yesterday, some very diverse landscapes. But back to Longreach for a second, we were both disappointed with the qantas museum. Not sure why but just didn’t grab us. The others went to the school of the air and watched a class being run. Mary is a retired teacher and enjoyed it immensely. Kinda wish we’d done that. Oh well.

Our drive Ive was about 7.5 hours yesterday, at a very unrushed pace. Thrilled to see The Walkabout Pub (from Crocodile Dundee) and the intersection to Julia acreek.... so close, maybe next time. Lunch in the park at Cloncurry, then onto ‘The ‘Isa’. Settled in and hit the pub for a steak dinner.... what else would you do in ‘Isa??

we are about to head to the Rodeo, our first ever, should be a hoot. Tonight some friends of Mary’s are taking us to an abandoned quarry to watch the sunset and have dinner around a bonfire....can’t wait.
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 05:14 PM

Love the photos, thanks for sharing the trip.

Kay
Old Aug 10th, 2018, 02:39 AM

Yes, great photos. The imp in me wants to liken that parched landscape to my back lawn but I know that the drought is not funny, and we have just had a couple of downpours that will quickly remedy our situation. Not so the drought in so many countries this year.

I hope that steak tasted as good as it looks!
Old Aug 11th, 2018, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

On the road this morning, we will cross the border into the Northern Territory and spend the night on a cattle station, Banka Banka. No power no water... should be fun.

Had a a great couple of days in Mount Isa, we all thoroughly enjoyed our first rodeo. Lots of bravery and skill, can’t say I’m now hooked but very glad to have experienced it. Our afternoon: evening at the quarry was my highlight. We headed about 30 minutes out of town, turned onto a dirt road a through a gate onto a station, the deal is you can’t tell anyone where it is. You have to be taken there, great idea. After a bit of 4W driving we stopped and climbed an awesome rock formation with stunning views. Then head to the quarry wow, so much sky, we had amazing views. Set up for the evening with bubbles and cheese to watch the sun set. Stunning!!! Then a bbq and bonfire while star gazing. There were two adorable kids with us, they had an app that showed you which star/ planet you were looking at. A very memorable evening.

A look around town yesterday, afternoon at the rodeo , then packed up for our early departure this morning. Spent the evening at the rodeo watching the night time events.

A fantastic couple of days and the steak was yummy, Ann. xx

mobile wifi not strong enough on the toad to upload any photos. And the road is bumpy so excuse spelling!!!
Old Aug 11th, 2018, 07:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I’m enjoying this enormously, Aussiwdreamer! Thanks so much for sbaring your trip - and the photos.
Old Aug 11th, 2018, 09:30 PM

Really enjoying your story. We've visited most of Australia with a caravan during our retirement and absolutely loved it. Met great people and saw some wonderful country.
Old Aug 12th, 2018, 12:38 AM

This is a terrific journey and I am really enjoying following along.
The quarry excursion and the night sky sounds wonderful!
And I am sure the rodeo was entertaining if a little scary.
Looking forward to hearing about Banka Banka - and crossing into NT.

Oh annhig - I do hope your back lawn recovers, and for all those facing drought we know what it is like - I grew up in Western Australia and my parents were very strict re using water to the extent that I still feel guilty if I let a tap run freely.

Safe and happy travels aussiedreamer!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -