Minnesota/Wisconsin Road Trip

Old Jul 20th, 2018, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Minnesota/Wisconsin Road Trip

My husband and I (no kids) are going to be in Minneapolis in late August, and plan to take a road trip for about a week after Labor Day. We have old friends to visit in Marshfield, WI, so that will probably be our first stop, but otherwise are completely open and are looking for pretty drives, quirky/off-the-beaten path places. We like hiking and being outdoors, but want plenty of "hanging out" time. We prefer to meander, not driving more than a couple hours a day. Any suggestions for a route and places to stop would be much appreciated. Apostle Islands look beautiful, but at this point we have no "must sees," Thanks!
Old Jul 25th, 2018, 12:22 PM

Are you looking for anywhere at all in Wisconsin, or more things that are between Minneapolis and Marshfield?
Old Jul 25th, 2018, 05:24 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Whwn I read your title, my first thought was to recommend tne Apostle Islands NP.beautiful.
Or, the Minnesota north shore of Lake Superior above Duluth.
Old Jul 26th, 2018, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

We will probably drive directly from Minneapolis to Marshfield (after spending a couple days in Minneapolis), but after that we are totally open, we don't need to drive in a straight(ish) line.
Old Jul 26th, 2018, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 10:05 PM

We stayed on the Apostle islands - beautiful area - lots of outdoor activities - love the beat ride around the islands . Then we drove to Duluth .
Old Jul 28th, 2018, 04:44 AM

I've not been to the Apostle Islands, but the no one I know who went there ever regretted it. Door County is also really pretty, there are several state parks there and it is a nice drive. Perrot State Park is on the Minn/WI border and has hikes on the bluffs of the Mississippi River. You can also rent canoes or kayaks in the Black River state forest and paddle down the river and fish. The House on the Rock is a unique site but I wouldn't plan your trip around it.
Old Jul 30th, 2018, 06:47 AM

I think you have several options.

1) Head south to the Coulee/Driftless region of Wisconsin and Minnesota and meander around for a week. You could Wisconsin Dells/Baraboo, then Spring Green, Prairie du Chien, Viroqua in Wisconsin, drive up the Mississippi to LaCrosse and continue up to Red Wing or head further west into Minnesota to Lanesboro and that area.

2) Door County, head north from there and hit the upper peninsula of Michigan then go back to Minneapolis.

3) Visit northern Wisconsin (this could also be combined with the U.P.). Lots of options - Minocqua, Eagle River, Bayfield, Hayward, then up to Superior/Duluth and go back to Minneapolis from there.
Old Jul 30th, 2018, 02:26 PM

bookmarking