Day trip ideas and routes from South Lee Massachusetts

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2018, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In late June we will be staying in South Lee from Sunday evening the 24th thru the next Saturday morning. It will be myself my wife and 21 year old daughter and 17 year old son. We will certainly visit the basketball hall of fame in Springfield and the Norman Rockwell museum in Stockbridge. Outside of that we have no fixed plans. I'm wondering about a few day long driving trip loops that would take in some nice sites, small towns and nice scenery, for perhaps two of our days. Right now I'm intrigued by a day trip toward the Hudson perhaps incorporating a visit to Kykuik in Tarrytown, and also a general Berkshires drive just in the area we are staying at. Would love some specific route suggestions.
Old May 6th, 2018, 06:52 AM

Tanglewood, Jacob's Pillow, hiking trails, Chesterwood. Clark Museum, Millay House. There are other art museums but they have specific slants, so you want to see what may interest you.

Kykuik in Tarrytown seems like a long drive for the day.
Old May 6th, 2018, 07:17 AM

This is a great link for many driving tours in and around The Berkshires which will take you through quaint towns and villages and to many of the top sites in this beautiful region.

Berkshire Scenic Driving Tours | The Berkshires Official Website
Old May 6th, 2018, 07:27 AM

I had the same reaction that the trip to Kykuik seems pretty long.
There are many other places to visit depending on your interests. In addition to those already mentioned: Hancock Shaker Village, The Mount (Edith Wharton home), Arrowhead Museum (Melville home), Mt. Greylock

This website on the Hudson River Valley describes lots of options over the border in NY
http://travelhudsonvalley.com/
Old May 6th, 2018, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for responses and Greggism that is a great link. We will probably do some of those driving trips. I think if we do go to the Hudson River area it will be Hyde Park, Rhinebeck area instead, keeping the distance more manageable. Can't wait for the trip.
Old May 6th, 2018, 10:09 AM

The Roosevelt sites in Hyde Park are very interesting.
Even closer to South Lee is Olana in Hudson NY--a great setting and very interesting historic home.
Old May 6th, 2018, 12:38 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I second fhe Clark Museum in Williamstown. Also make sure to visit MASS MoCA in North Adams, MA. Kykuik is really a long drive for a day trip. FDR Home and Library, Vanderbilt Mansion, Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park( combine with FDR, have a meal there.)