Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Help me Figure out Where to Go in Morocco for Final Days

Old Apr 27th, 2018, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

We are currently in Morocco and trying to decide where to spend our last 4 nights. We will have spent a week in Marrakech and Fes as well as time in Essaouira, Taroudant, Chefchaouen and in the desert. Chefchaouen will be where we are leaving from for the 4 nights and we have a night in Casablanca before our flight home. Where should we go? Would love someplace quiet without the chaos of Fes or Marrakech. We esp enjoyed Essaouira for its music and laid back feel. The Desert was fabulous. Suggestions appreciated.
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 07:28 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
From Chefchaouen it's an easy hop to Tangier and/or Asilah. I love Tangier, and though I haven't yet been to Asilah, a smaller beach town just south of Tangier, I've heard enough recommendations that I plan to go there next trip. Bus or grand taxi from Chefchaouen to Tangier. Train or taxi I believe are the choices from there to Asilah. Or from Tangier go to Rabat, which I found along with Tangier, a less intense city experience.
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 04:57 PM

This is where I think I'll stay in Asilah. I usually travel alone and it looks like a place I might enjoy: Christina's House | Asilah, Morocco

The place I've stayed in Tangier is La Tangerina but the website is down. I went by the Hotel Continental, THE place to stay, I understand, when the city was an international zone. A bit down at the heels but still interesting and a great location, here's Fodor's review:
https://www.fodors.com/world/africa-...inental-587118
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 10:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I thought I posted a response to this last night, but apparently it never made it.

i appreciate the info. We’ve been asking locals and haven’t gotten any votes for Rabat esp for 4 nights. We’re deciding between Tangier and Asilah. With only 4 nights it doesn’t seem to make sense to split the time. Most places we like to spend at least 3 if not 4 nights. Would you agree?

i did read about Christina’s and it sounded nice.

Last edited by yestravel; Apr 27th, 2018 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Typo
Old Apr 28th, 2018, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by yestravel
With only 4 nights it doesn’t seem to make sense to split the time. Most places we like to spend at least 3 if not 4 nights. Would you agree?
I do agree, but we seem often to be in the minority when it comes to slowing down. You might consider stopping in Tangier and if you like it, stay. If not, move on to Asilah. The progression is logical as it's likely the direction you'd go anyway from Chefchaouen on your way back to Casa.

Regarding La Tangerina in Tangier, it's such a great place to stay I suggest you find their phone number on another website such as Trip Advisor if you decide Tangier is where you'd like to be. It may be that they are open but re-doing their website or some other explanation. Or, for a splurge, stay at the El Minzah. https://www.leroyal.com/en/OUR-HOTELS/el-minzah-hotel
I had lunch there poolside and was treated wonderfully, despite the fact that I was likely not among their usual clientele, an attitude I greatly admire in upscale hotel staff. Even if you don't stay there, do have lunch if you have the opportunity.
Old Apr 28th, 2018, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't spend four nights in Asilah, it's quite compact and you will quickly run out of thing to do in the small town, see LookLex / Morocco / Asilah / Culture in white and blue

If you are into history there's the stone circle of Mzoura to the east of Asilah, see Activities | Mzoura Stone Circle | Asilah Info

And then a bit to the north of Mzoura are the unexcavated ruins of the Roman staging post of Ad Mercuri (aka Collonia Zilli), see http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=46174

But to answer your question, I think you would be best served by splitting your time between Asilah and Tanger or Asilah and Rabat.
Old Apr 28th, 2018, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Hmmm... we thought we would get to Asilah late afternoon Saturday, spend Sunday exploring. On Monday take the train to Tangiers and figure something on Monday. That leaves one day to fill in Asilah. We hate changing hotels so often. WDYT. Thanks!

i checked the suggested places to stay and they are booked. Couldn’t find La Tangerina to call, but it showed as booked on Trivago.
Old Apr 28th, 2018, 03:44 PM

Another place I haven't been but mean to check out one of these years is El Jadida, on the water 60 miles or so south of Casablanca. Maybe a bit off the beaten path so easier to find accommodation. You might have a look on Trip Advisor for hotels.
Old May 7th, 2018, 03:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, all for your thoughts! We ended up with the 4 nights in Tanger with a day trip to Asilah. I think it was a good way to do it as Asilah was maybe ⅔’s Shutdown as some of you mentioned. I did like Asilah and imagine in season it’s a very nice place to be.

Our month in Morocco is coming to an end. It’s been fascinating with much to like and much to not care for. Glad I finally made it here.
Old May 7th, 2018, 06:01 AM

Yestravel, where did you stay in Tangier, for future reference? And it would be interesting, too, to know what things you did not care for. Or maybe a trip report will tell all?
Old May 7th, 2018, 06:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, yestravel, I'm glad that you had a good visit to Tangier - it sounds like it was the right choice to end the trip and looked like a more international city to complement the rest of the trip. It was a pleasure "traveling" with you on our separate but similar journeys over the last few weeks!
Old May 7th, 2018, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

MmePerfu, We had a hard time finding someplace to stay. I guess last minute and then partly over a weekend made vacancies hard to come by. We’re at Palais Zahia right near Bab Marsa and the Grand Mosque. Would have preferred to stay elsewhere, but as I said slim pickings. We passed where you stay, and preferred that location. Loved the Grand Hotel Villa de France location. Matisse’s room that we saw was quite nice, but also fully booked. Thanks for your advice.

Yes,progol, fun traveling together and great to meet up.
Old May 7th, 2018, 10:00 AM

Thanks for the information, yestravel. I'm assuming Palais Zahia is alright since you don't say it isn't. It looks fun in the pictures. I'm adding both you mention to my list.
Old May 7th, 2018, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

A
Originally Posted by MmePerdu
Thanks for the information, yestravel. I'm assuming Palais Zahia is alright since you don't say it isn't. It looks fun in the pictures. I'm adding both you mention to my list.
yes, it’s fine. It has 17 rooms and while staff are nice it’s not as personalized as many of the smaller places are. Make sure you ask for a room that is not on the side of the alley. Rooms facing the alley include 2, 3 or 4 or the rooms on top of them on the 2nd floor. Noise from the alley all night is awful. We had to be moved. It appears to be a newer hotel. At this point our knees welcome an elevator and stairssteps thar of even height and railings, Breakfast is a buffet with the standard fare we have had everywhere.

photo from Matisse’s room.

Last edited by yestravel; May 7th, 2018 at 10:19 AM.