Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick

Old Mar 7th, 2018, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Decided this week that we (2 active seniors ages 68 & 70) would like to go to Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and southern New Brunswick this summer, sometime in July and/or August.
We have the luxury of time (thinking 4 or more weeks), and prefer slow travel (no one night stays), will probably fly in and out of Halifax, will rent a car. We'd rather rent apartments or homes than stay in hotels or B&Bs.
We like history, folk music, beautiful views, learning about a place, hikes (probably no more than 2 hours at a time), scenic drives. No wine tastings, as DH's cardiologist severely limits alcohol.
I'm in the process of reading guidebooks and surfing the Internet to compile a list of what we'd like to see.
Any itinerary ideas, suggestions of how long to stay in which places would be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 10th, 2018, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Although I like to create a precise itinerary, it's written (figuratively) in pencil, and is often changed on the fly--except for lodging. This trip would be early July to mid-August.
We have the luxury of time, but our max would probably be 6 weeks. I've come close to that, but I may be allotting too much time in some places. Since we don't like what we call one night stands, even in places with only a day's worth of things to see/do, we'll stay for 2 nights. Our preferred lodging is apartments or houses, rather than motels/hotels or B&Bs.
Arrive Halifax, stay for 4 nights, with 3 days of sightseeing in the city.
Go to Peggy's Cove and the Ross Farm Museum in Mahone Bay on our way to Lunenburg, where we'll stay for 3 nights, 2 days of sightseeing.
Visit the Hank Snow Museum & the Lighthouse in Liverpool, hike in the Kejimkjuk Seaside NP; spend 2 nights in Shelburne, sightseeing for 1 day there.
Visit the museums in Barrington and the Acadian Village on our way to Yarmouth; stay for 2 nights, 1 day of sightseeing.
Visit the church in Church point and Belliveau Cove on our way to Annapolis Royal; stay for 4 nights, sightsee for 3, possibly including Long Island.
Ferry to New Brunswick; spend a week along the coast between St Stephen and Sackville--details not determined yet.
Bridge to PEI for a week; will probably base ourselves in Charlottetown the whole time.
Drive to Cape Breton; will break our stay into 2 locations, one on the west coast and one further east. Any suggestions as to which 2 towns and how long to stay in each? I'm guessing 2-3 nights each.
Drive to Wolfville for 4 nights, 3 days of sightseeing.
Thank you VERY much for your thoughts.
Old Mar 16th, 2018, 05:48 PM

I will address your itinerary. It appears to be "all over the map" as they say. I would arrive Halifax, then after spending time in Halifax drive to Wolfville about an hour away and onto Kentville. From Kentville cut across the Province to Chester Basin. On that route you can visit the Ross Farm Museum which is not in Mahone Bay. Then from Chester Basin drive to Mahone Bay and Lunenburg towards Liverpool. You can continue to Yarmouth, up to the French Coast to Annapolis Royal. However, you will have to back-track to Digby where you catch the ferry to New Brunswick. When in New Brunswick, drive to Moncton. About half an hour from Moncton, take the bridge to PEI. From PEI take the ferry to Cariboo Island. Nova Scotia, stop in Pictou, and carry on to Cape Breton. From Cape Breton you will drive back to Halifax Airport which is about a five and half hour drive.

Once you have the itinerary planned, you can decide how long you want to stay in each spot.
Old Mar 17th, 2018, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

All over the map is exactly what we want! This will be our one and only trip to the area, so we want to take the time to see a lot.
I've trimmed the itinerary because DH didn't want a trip of more than 5 weeks.
Halifax: 4 nights
Lunenburg: 2 nights
Shelburne: 2 nights
Yarmouth: 2 nights
Annapolis Royal: 3 nights
St John: 3 nights
Moncton: 2 nights
Charlottetown: 7 nights
Cheticamp: 3 nights
Sydney: 3 nights
Wolfville: 3 nights
Old Mar 17th, 2018, 08:45 AM

I still think Wolfville is a long drive from Sydney--about 6 hours or more. You could take in Wolfville from Halifax and view the Bay of Fundy from there.
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

It's only 30 minutes longer from Sydney to Wolfville than it is to Halifax, and then we're well located for the things we want to see in that area.
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 03:53 PM

I'm curious to know what route you are taking from Sydney to Wolfville.
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 03:43 AM

We stayed a night in Annapolis Royal and were underwhelmed, except for the gardens. We spent several nights in Wolfville and greatly enjoyed it. Nicely walkable, went to Scots Bay just to watch the tide coming in, enjoyed Blomidon Park, and Evangeline Beach was an easily accessible place to explore at low tide.

Had plans to go to Joggins Fossil Cliffs, but fate intervened. On CBI, we based in Baddeck; would have liked to split time in Cheticamp, but couldn't find accommodations we liked.
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Haven't plotted a route. May just use Google maps offline on that day.
Between the Gardens, Fort Anne, Port Royal, and several small museums, I don't think we'll have any trouble filling our 2 days in Annapolis Royal.
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 07:41 PM

A WEEK in Charlottetown???

You'll be challenged to want to fill a week on the whole island, dotted around with nights in various places.

3 nights in Charlottetown should prove plenty enough.

More nights in Halifax, and fewer in Charlottetown.
Old Mar 20th, 2018, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

3-4 days in Halifax will be enough for us to see the things we want.
A week in PEI won't be enough to take all the drives and hikes we want, but it will have to do.
Old Mar 20th, 2018, 08:06 AM

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
If I agree with everything you have proposed will you disagree with me and thus change something?
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Huh??