December 2018 - resort ideas

Old Jan 28th, 2018, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
December 2018 - resort ideas

I'm just going to throw this out, and I do understand it's pretty general, but I'm at the beginning stages of looking for ideas.

My husband and I will be completing a Cuba cruise in Miami on Dec 17, 2018. We are seriously thinking of extending our travel plans to include about 10 days somewhere on the Caribbean. We live on the west coast, so it seems that since we're already pretty much in the "neighborhood," why not just stay? And to be honest, I will not miss the hoop-la and hubbub of Christmas at our home, hosting our extended family and dealing with all the usual stress that goes along with that. Even though we love our children and grandchildren dearly, a year off from being the one who makes Christmas happen would be quite a nice gift!

So --- we've been on a couple cruises through the Caribbean, and honestly, every island is like a blur. I know there were some we liked better than others, but for the life of me, I can't remember which ones they were. We've also traveled throughout the Yucatan in a rented car - loved the interior, but not so much the craziness of Cancun, etc. I do realize this will be the high season for just about anywhere we might choose, but that's okay.

We would want to fly to an island resort or another place on the Caribbean from Miami and then fly back afterwards to get our flight home. We're planning to fly Southwest (we've earned a free flight), so probably back and forth from the west coast to Miami would be the way to go, with the flight to and from our beach destination separate. I can check on the possibility of open-jaw, but I don't think it works for the "free" flights.

Here are some clues as to who we are and what we like: We are an active retired couple in our mid and late 60s. We love a comfortable room or suite or cottage. We want to be on a swimming beach, or at least have a good view. Warm swimming pool(s) -yes. A town or village with restaurants would be great, but we're also open to an all-inclusive if there are more than two or three restaurants there, and the food is rated highly. We like to walk, hike, occasionally tour into local areas.

We don't care for - shopping, party scene, don't require spa or dive facilities.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions!
Old Jan 28th, 2018, 03:01 PM

Are you asking where in the Caribbean you can fly to from the Miami area on Southwest Airlines? I believe Southwest flies to those destinations out of Fort Lauderdale Airport, not Miami.

If so, I believe your destinations are limited to Providenciales (in the Turks & Caicos), Grand Cayman, Punta Cana (Dominican Republic), Jamaica, Puerto Rico and Aruba.

What type of budget do you have for accommodations? FYI - you are planning to travel during the most expensive time in the Caribbean so anticipate “sticker shock”.

of the islands mentioned, generally speaking Grand Cayman and Providenciales will be the most expensive, while The Dominican Republic and Jamaica will be the most budget friendly. Aruba and Puerto Rico will be mid-priced.
Old Jan 28th, 2018, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

We wouldn't necessarily need to fly on SWA. You're correct that SWA flies into Ft Lauderdale. We could use them to fly on to a second destination - or fly on another airline out of Miami. Our cruise ship will be arriving in Miami.

I do understand that we're going to be in highest of the high season - and actually our budget can accommodate almost anything - well, probably not a private island, but we can deal with the seasonal prices. Of course, we will be looking at value for the price we pay, so that's a factor.

I was looking at some of the resorts in Punta Cana , and the beaches look beautiful.
Old Jan 29th, 2018, 01:37 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't believe Punta Cana has the town to walk around in your are looking for? I think there you'd be going the AI stay at the resort property route.
Old Jan 29th, 2018, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, suze. My husband just read something awful about Canadians and hookworm on the beach in Punta Cana - so now we're looking at Belize. Ha.

Heading to PVR in a few weeks - maybe I'll see you on the malecon
Old Jan 29th, 2018, 02:57 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Hooray for Puerto Vallarta! And yeah to Belize. And no to Punta Cana (but if you do decide on visiting the DR I think Sosua or Puerta Plata would be better options).
Old Mar 7th, 2018, 10:49 AM

I am your age and think the idea of Christmas "off" and on your own sounds like a great idea! We recently went to Bequia in St. Vincent and the Grenadines and I think you would really like it. Take a look at this:
http://www.bequiatourism.com/default.htm

I
am researching a first trip to Nevis which we hope to take in November- I think it might tick all your boxes, too.