Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Buenos Aires and Uruguay Itinerary help

Search

Buenos Aires and Uruguay Itinerary help

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2018, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, things changed. There are people posting on here who live in San Telmo .. they are fine . I know people who got the bird poop scam in Paris. It happens.
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 11:08 AM

In 2012 I warned you against staying in San Telmo? Did you listen to me ?
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 11:24 AM

I have stayed at the Four Seasons twice and thoroughly enjoyed my stays there. It was very warm both trips and the pool was very welcoming. However, my favorite hotel was the Legado Mitico in Palermo. Absolutely charming:

Legado Mitico
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 11:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In 2012 I warned you against staying in San Telmo? Did you listen to me ?
If that is addressed to me you would know that I listened to you if you had read the rest of the post.
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Scarlett
There are definitely areas in BA where it is not safe to wander around, an obvious tourist especially. Who are you addressing regarding Montevideo ?
on thing you must have learned here on Fodors, you get more answers when you are nice .. Of course there are parts of BA that are not safe at night. Why would you be there though ? Stick to your area your hotel is and take taxis at night, that should keep you safer feeling.
And you should be more polite when you come on here and ask for advice.
I’m sorry Scarlett, my thread seems to have taken on a life if it’s own! I asked (politely) for advice and got some great advice which was gratefully received. After which I received a rake of comments about safety and homeless people that almost seemed to have appeared on the wrong thread and appeared to start some sort of debate. However, I don’t believe at any point I wasn’t “nice”! I’d really like to undersatand to what you are referring? The only think that I feel was out of place was having my perfectly polite post with the perfectly friendly and helpful replies hijacked for some unrelated debate, and then my being accused of not being nice!
Old Feb 3rd, 2018, 06:34 AM

Im sorry violet, I addressed that remark to someone else ... something that happens on these forums ... I am sorry . .. and yes, threads to take a life of their own sometimes and you should pay attention, often a real gem of information will be found among the bickering
I'm off now, leaving you in peace. Have a wonderful time in BA ..
Old Feb 10th, 2018, 07:54 AM

1 last word lol I still have friends who live in BA .. one lives in San Telmo and she is out and about day and night .. some people forget, these are neighborhoods where families live .. after the shops close, there are buildings full of people with children and lives .. they might be intimidating to visitors who don't speak the language but don't think of them all as being dangerous. Learn the language a tiny bit will make you feel more confident or just stick to the more popular tourists areas and those with a lot of English speaking people ..
Living in BA ..we were 2 blocks from the British Embassy , but most schools in BA teach English as a matter of course ..
Taxi drivers would practice their English with us sometimes and best of all... the music in the taxis is worth the fare .. pay attention next time you take a taxi
Old Feb 11th, 2018, 03:15 PM

mlgb ... I am going to steal that photo and make it my screensaver , I get such a laugh out of it ~
Old Feb 12th, 2018, 07:43 AM

I think this thread took an unfortunate side track, sorry OP. It got confusing over discussions between BA and Uruguay and where to stay, mixed in with some past posting history.

Not everyone needs to like the same places...I think both thursdaysd and I have traveled extensively and independently in South America and I, at least, speak and understand Spanish.
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 09:35 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Dukey, we had a wonderful experience staying at the Melia Recoleta Plaza. The hotel is near the Alvear. Service was excellent and they went out of their way for us. We had originally been in another hotel in BA , a horrid experience, and were tnrilled to be able to move to the Melia Recoleta Plaza. It was beyond our expectations.