2 week holiday in Western Australia

Old Dec 26th, 2017, 03:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 week holiday in Western Australia

Hi
I’m after any suggestions for an itinerary for 12 days. Fly into Perth mid January- will hire a car. Have to be in Bunbury for a wedding 12 days after arriving in Perth. Family of 3 with teenage daughter so would like some adventure activities. Enjoy outdoors, animals, beaches, history. Not into wineries.
Thanks
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 02:44 PM

Hi NarelleN

A few suggestions are:

- boat trip to Rottnest Island where you can go bike riding around the island, snorkelling, swimming etc. At this time of year you need to book if you want to stay overnight.
- Perth zoo - you can team this up with a wander around the city (perhaps a wallking tour - 2 Feet and a Heartbeat are great) and then catch the ferry across the river to South Perth and walk up to the zoo.
- In Bunbury you can swim with the dolphins at the Dolphin Discovery Centre - we did this last year and it was amazing!
- Hike a section of the Cape to Cape walk in the Margaret River region (https://www.margaretriver.com/activi...alking-hiking/)
- Visit Fremantle - you can check out the Martitime Museum, FRemantle Arts Centre (this used to me a mental institution), prison and various other historical sites (https://www.fremantle.wa.gov.au/arts-culture).
Given the time of year the weather is great. So fish and chips on the beach at Cottesloe Beach one night would be nice as would a picnic on the Esplanade in Freo or up in Kings Park - you can watch the city light up from here.

Hopefully this give you some ideas. Have a great time.
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas and the links
Old Dec 29th, 2017, 02:32 PM

I’m just back from 4 weeks in Margaret River. We have family there and have visited many times and always find something new to enjoy (in addition to our grandchildren). Give me a day or two to recover from jet lag and I’ll make some suggestions.
Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Would appreciate it eliztravels2
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 05:42 AM

Glad to be of help, NarelleN. WA is so beautiful with so much to do it is well worth the effort to get there, even considering the long trip from Eastern North America.

There is a very good information centre in Margaret River, on your right side as you come into town from the north. They have as good selection of quality souvenirs and can provide you with maps and brochures and general information. I’d make that a first stop and go from there.

Ideas:

Drive west along Walcliffe Road toward Prevelly and Surfers Point. Watch for kangaroos on your right hand side between Kevill road east and west. You probably will see enough close by for a good look and photos. If not, take the Keevil Rd. loop and keep an eye out. Stop in Prevelly for lunch at Sea Gardens restaurant or go down to the point to watch the surfers, and go for a swim at the river mouth (shallow, fresh water) or play in the waves.

Also in the same direction you can find Gnarabup where there is a nice swimmable beach and the White Elephant cafe. A visit to surfers point in the evening provides excellent sunset viewing, but can be quite breezy so you may need all your layers. There is sometimes a fish and chip wagon with excellent food there but not sure if it any regular schedule. If you are energetic you can also rent bikes in town and ride . out. It is a beautiful paved trail and no hills to speak of until you get close to the coast. Take note of the burned vegetation near Prevelly that is the result of a bush fire about 4 years ago. Prevelly was evacuated and some buildings destroyed, but no loss of life. We enjoy seeing the natural regeneration range the landscape year by year.

Go further south on Caves Road toward Augusta through the lovely Boranup forest (about 45 minutes). Make a stop in Hamlin bay. Sting Rays frequent the beach there and are great fun to watch. They are not dangerous as long as you don’t mess with them. Also a swimmable beach area, free parking but no eatery.

In Augusta swimming again and a climb up the lighthouse. Eat in town or take a picnic lunch as there are a few tables. This is the south west corner of Australia where the Indian and Southern oceans meet. It is the setting for the haunting book and movie The Light Between Oceans although I don’t know if the movie was actually shot there.

Closer to Margaret River take in a Movie at The Vineyard at Cape Mentelle winery. Beautiful outdoor setting and quite popular with the locals so book ahead if there is something you especially want to see . Most go early and enjoy a picnic lunch on a blanket. You can take in your own food or purchase there, but alcoholic beverages must be purchased on site.

That ought to get you started. I’ll start a new post for further ideas.
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 05:46 AM

An afterthought: meant to mention regarding the drive towards Augusta that this year we saw emus on two occasions, somewhere around the small town of Witchliffe as I recall.
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 05:54 AM

A general note re finances: cost of living is quite high in Western Australia so expect to pay a lot for your meals. However keep in mind that there are no add-on taxes and in Australia, you Do Not Tip! Minimum wage laws mean that service personnel are well paid and do not need you to subsidize their wages. Resist the temptation/habit , otherwise you raise expectations and make it hard for the locals who have to pay already high prices year round.

Beaches, parks and sunsets are free, as is parking most places.
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 06:06 AM

Some adventure activities with your daughter in mind:

Forest Adventures somewhere north of Margaret River is an elaborate zip-line complex. It is fairly new and I haven’t been there but our grandkids are looking forward to going.

The Eco Tour out of MR by specially designed quad bikes gives you a leisurely ride through the Boranup forest with a bit of the natural history of the area thrown in. Book ahead.

You can rent a surfboard and take a lesson at one of the beaches near MR but I don’t recall which one--not surfer’s point. We swam in 3 river and 5 beach locations this time, so forgive my uncertainty! And while I’m thinking of it, Gracetown is also a good place to watch surfers and there is a beach with a raft not far from shore you can dive from.

The Bush Tucker tour based at the river mouth near Prevelly takes you upriver by canoe and teaches you something about indigenous culture, has an opportunity to squirm through a very small cave, and includes witchitie grubs in its included lunch.
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 06:13 AM

In MR you can rent mountain bikes at the Rotary Park at the north end of town. From there you can walk or bike on a trail through the forest along the river (or ask about trail in The Pines or elsewhere.) The river walk takes you by two weirs , popular swimming spots for the locals.
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks eliztravels2 for all your wonderful ideas.
Just finished three days in Perth - Kings Park is magnificent. The tour in Perth Mint was excellent and we also really enjoyed chiming the bells at the Bell Tower. Checked out the very cute quokkas and some lovely beaches on Rottnest for the day. Heading north for a few days before we then head south of Perth

Last edited by NarelleN; Jan 16th, 2018 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Wrong name
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 07:04 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Happy to hear you enjoyed Perth!