Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Feedback on where to go (23 Mar to 8 Apr 2018)

Old Nov 4th, 2017, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone

I'm planning another solo trip from 23 Mar to 8 Apr 2018. I'm thinking of going to
- Spain (minus Barcelona since I've been there), or
- Greece, or
- Turkey (I didn't have a good experience with the touts in Istanbul but always wanted to go).

I'm wondering if you have any feedback on any of the places. I'm also open to other places (travelling from Singapore) but don't want to pay more than SGD1200 for a return flight. I prefer colder weather as well (at the very least, colder than Singapore).

Thank you!

(was advised to post here instead of the Travel trips board so its a duplicate of the other thread)
Old Nov 4th, 2017, 07:09 PM
kja

Any of these can be wonderful -- I've been to all of the as a solo traveler.

With 2 weeks, you would need to be very selective, no matter which location you choose.

I suspect that each will be cooler than Singapore, but please check the climate statistics for yourself so that you can see what might work for you. I like
timeanddate.com
Many use wunderground.com

If you are looking for information that would help you choose among these locations, you would, I think, need to tell us FAR more about your interests. But before you do, you might start by consulting some good guidebooks and reading some trip reports and planning threads here on Fodor's.

No bad choices with these 3 options -- just a difficult choice.
Old Nov 19th, 2017, 09:55 AM

I've only personally been to Turkey (for 2 weeks in May). I absolutely loved my time there! Istanbul was great to see but was probably my least favourite place while in Turkey.

I backpacked there solo during a RTW trip so I had a limited budget yet was still able to do and see all the things I wanted.

Why I loved Turkey:
-such a diverse landscape
-amazing hikes/walks to do
-beautiful scenery and beaches (the beaches were better than Thailand's IMO)
-incredibly helpful and kind locals
-easy to get around (and affordable)

Some highlights:
-The travertines and ancient ruins of Pamukkale
-the slow coastal (and beach) vibe of Fethiye
-the endless hikes and beautiful waterfalls in the Kabak Valley
-sleeping in a cave (and hiking) across Goreme
Old Nov 19th, 2017, 11:51 AM

Remember that in Spain it will be Semana Santa before Easter on April 1st, and in Greece it will be celebrated on April 8th. There could be crowds both places.
Old Nov 25th, 2017, 04:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
despite the advert, non-Istanbul Turkey could well be a good choice.

My other suggestion, not on your list, would be Sicily. Your time frame would give you the chance to see plenty of the island; perhaps not all of it in depth, but a good over -view. It would not be too hot that time of year.
Old Nov 27th, 2017, 02:13 PM

Our first trip to Greece was in late March, early April and while it was not beach weather, it was perfect for wandering around ancient ruins and beautiful cities. The Peloponnesus was wonderful. We spent 3 week’s with 2 on land and 1 week divided between santorini and Paros. We loved that trip. If you go there, be sure to save the islands for the end as they just begin to open up in April.
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 07:34 AM

For me it would depend on what is closest so I could maximize my time, but they are all pretty far from Singapore! In that case I vote Spain and would try to focus on Madrid to Seville. Madrid will be less impacted by Semana Santa than the south. I haven't traveled to Turkey but that would seem to be another very viable option.
Old Dec 1st, 2017, 02:15 AM
Original Poster

Hi! Thank you for all the responses! I've booked a flight to Madrid and would be posting in the appropriate forum shortly to ask for tips. Would definitely keep all the suggestions above in mind for this and future trips
Old Dec 1st, 2017, 03:29 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
You are in the appropriate forum [Europe] but it would be a good idea to start a new thread dedicated to your trip to Spain.
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 06:20 AM

Hello!

I live in Greece and I can surely say you'll love it any time of the year.
Late March-early April would be great for your visit because spring will just have begun...
A variety of colors will flourish everywhere!
The Peloponnese, Thessaly and Epirus are fabulous regions for spring time.
If you are looking for an island you could consider Crete or Rhodes.

The Peloponnese is one of the richest Greek areas with regard to important historical monuments and sites. I recommend it 100%
The best way to visit the Peloponnese is by deciding to have a road trip!

Must see destinations around: the Temple of Apollo Epicurius, the Ancient Korinthos, the Archaeological site of Olympia, the Ancient Theatre of Epidavros, the Castle of Mystras, Archaeological Site of Mycenae, the Castle city of Monemvasia and more...
If you head there you could also visit the Old Town of Nafplio. Mani region covers the second peninsula in southern Peloponnese, when you get there you'll feel as if you are travelling back in time. Wild landscape, stone-built towers everywhere.

If you are into culture you might also like to spend at least 2 days in Athens centre to check out museums and ancient ruins