Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Crazy to travel to Salem Massachusetts by myself?

Old Jul 2nd, 2017, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really want to go to Salem in the beginning of October. Trouble is that no one wants to go with me. Would it be a bad idea to go by myself?
I want to do the normal touristy stuff during the day, and a ghost tour one night. So nothing too crazy, but I don't know if it would be safe?
Old Jul 2nd, 2017, 04:30 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
It is perfectly safe. Check out this also. https://7gables.org/

We took the boat from Boston and loved the ride along the coast.
Old Jul 2nd, 2017, 04:42 PM

There will be no issues going to Salem by yourself. They are very used to tourists, especially in October. Have fun.
Old Jul 2nd, 2017, 05:18 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
What worries you? Tell us what concerns you have and we can help. I personally can't think of any reason to have to travel with someone . . .
Old Jul 2nd, 2017, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Just wanted to make sure it is a safe enough area. That I wouldn't be a target being alone. I have barely traveled at all, and this will be my first time by myself.
And since it's sounding like it won't be a problem, any good casual places to eat? I love checking out the little places that might not be all that much to look at, but have great food. And I like pretty much everything, just can't do spicy.
Any other suggestions for things to check out would be great too. ��
Old Jul 2nd, 2017, 07:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you a witch?
Old Jul 3rd, 2017, 10:23 AM

I travel all over by myself and don't see any reason why you should hesitate to go to Salem.
Old Jul 3rd, 2017, 03:07 PM

No worries -- for starters you'll hardly be alone in Salem in October. Loads of people go there that month. Besides, traveling alone in general is fine, something I've done on several occasions. Just don't admit to a stranger who asks that you are doing so and generally be aware of your surroundings and you'll be fine.

Salem is fine safety-wise in the tourist areas, though off season, it gets pretty quiet at night.

For downtown: lunch/dinner, would suggest Turner's Seafood, Finz, Koto Grill and Sushi, and Firenze as your best bets; this last is open for dinner only. Bella Verona can also be good (again, dinner only). Flying Saucer and Flatbread Company do arguably the best pizza in town, while Life Alive does good smoothies and ultra healthy vegetarian options. Boston Hot Dog Company is fine for what it is, a hot dog spot, while New York Deli and Pizza can be good. There's also an outpost of the Korean chicken chain Bon Chon. Melt and Captain Dusty's are good spots for ice cream, while Ye Olde Pepper Companie and Turtle Alley are good candy shops. Your best bets for breakfasts are probably Brothers Taverna, Red's Sandwich Shop, or Gulu Gulu though they all have some shortcomings -- coffee shops like A&J King's, Front Street, Jodi Bee Bakes, and Brew Box are reasonable alternatives (Jaho Coffee and Tea is okay but badly overpriced). Have tried and did not like Rockafella's, Howling Wolf, Ugly Mug, Passage to India, Tavern in the Square, Salem Beer Works, Opus, Thai Place, Fountain Place, Village Tavern, and the restaurants in the Hawthorne Hotel, while have had wildly inconsistent experiences at Adriatic and Victoria Station.

If you head out to Salem Willows, the best spot there by far is E.W. Hobbs, which does excellent popcorn, ice cream, and similar fare. Feel free to try a chop suey sandwich at Salem Lowe or Genghis China (likely the last places on earth to offer this odd concoction) but tread beyond this dish at your own risk. Had a good experience with fried seafood at the Clam Shack the only time I tried it.
Old Jul 3rd, 2017, 03:55 PM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
I have wanted to go here in October for sometime now and just haven't made it. I have seen pictures of the Blaze I believe it's called and it looks so cool. I'm sure if you use caution and not tell anyone you are by yourself, it will be fine.
Old Jul 3rd, 2017, 06:59 PM

sassy27, I've done a quick google search for the Blaze in Salem but can't find anything.

Is it like the Great Jack O'lantern Blaze in Hudson County? If so, we've gone twice and loved it. I too want to visit Salem.
Old Jul 4th, 2017, 12:46 AM

sassy27, note that October in Salem (especially on weekends, Halloween, and the day of the opening parade) is absolutely crawling with people. It's less ridiculously crowded though still "in season" during May through September, which may make for a more manageable, less overwhelming visit. Depends on your preference.
Old Jul 4th, 2017, 05:16 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
The info guys were a little vague on history. I went to talk to someone about why one of my relatives arrested during the witch trials got out of jail. Seems the jailers were private and if you had money you could buy your way out. I had relatives that were ship builders there. There is a trolley tour you can take and you go by the house they used for Hocus Pocus. It was included in our boat ticket. If you are planning on staying make reservations soon. I also loved the grave yard.
Old Jul 5th, 2017, 07:14 AM

The House of Seven Gables is a neat tour, too.
Old Jul 5th, 2017, 08:12 AM

Good Salem attractions in addition to the House of Seven Gables include the Peabody Essex Museum, Salem Maritime National Historical Site, and the two historic houses administered by Historic New England, the Phillips House and the Gedney House (the latter in a bare-bones architectural structure way). I like the Salem Witch Museum, but not everyone on this for
Old Jul 5th, 2017, 08:19 AM

Continuing, no idea why this suddenly posted midstream.

I like the Salem Witch Museum, but not everyone on this forum is as enthusiastic about it. You can also take the trolley tour through the McIntyre District (where the Phillips House is) and out to Salem Willows if so inclined.

If you decide to see any of these attractions in October, go when they first open as the lines can get crazy long.
Old Jul 5th, 2017, 08:40 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
There is nothing inherently dangerous about traveling alone. Just use a little extra common sense about where you go and what you do.
Old Jul 24th, 2017, 08:20 AM

Vacmom,

If you come to Salem alone, lmk, and maybe we can cruise around together. I work in Salem, and love October. Except for the traffic. But I know all the shortcuts. I grew up in a Danvers, where a lot of the witch hysteria started, as it was part of Salem Village.
Great info above regarding restaurants and the normal places to go.
Salem just dedicated " Proctors Ledge", as the new sight where the execution of the witches took place.

Outthedoor