Trip to Maine Vermont Newhampshire Massachusetts

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2017, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a trip to the New England states of Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire and Masschusetts. What ate the best places to visit. Please suggest ten days split in to each place. Prefers to visit nature coastal historic
Old Jul 1st, 2017, 09:39 AM

MOUNT DESERT ISLAND LOOP, Acadia National Park, Maine
Make charming Bar Harbor your base, and take a relaxed circumnavigation via the island’s Loop Road of this rugged, spectacular island that is the second-largest in the New England. Bring a picnic, and make time for the Hulls Cove Visitors Center. Distance: 27 miles round-trip.
Visit our site www.topreviewsmart.com
Old Jul 1st, 2017, 10:02 AM
cw

When are you planning your trip?

Plenty of history in Boston and Lexington and Concord, MA.

For ocean/coast Maine is great. Vermont is very scenic, as are the White Mountains in NH.
Old Jul 1st, 2017, 10:03 AM

There's an absolute ton of stuff to do in New England and I for one have minimal clue as to what does and doesn't interest you. Tell you what -- do a little preliminary research and post a first draft with some things that seem appealing in the various states and we can help you better.
Old Jul 2nd, 2017, 11:21 AM

You should read thru recent posts because a lot of advice has been given that you can probably use. Yankee Magazine's website is also a good idea for general planning.

It also makes a difference when you are visiting.
Old Jul 4th, 2017, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanku all for the information.. and Iam planning to travel end of this month.i.e., July for a week. And like visit Vermont Massachusetts NH Maine. So, can u pls suggest how many days of hotel stay in those places will do best in a week trip.
So far I've collected these list of places to visit
1: Marginal Way
2: Acadia National Park
3: Mount Desert Island
4: Kennebunkport
5: Baxter State Park
6: Boothbay Harbor
7. Ogunquit
8. Old Orchard Beach
9: Portland Head Light
10: Victoria Mansion
3. Portland/Cosco bay
6 Monhegan Island
14.Bangor
15. Old orchard beach
Old Jul 4th, 2017, 11:14 PM

Have you checked availability? I mean, even if you find something at this point, it may be far more than you want to spend, especially in Maine.

I'm also confused as to whether you mean a week in each state or a week overall. Because I would limit yourself to one state, and even then, a week is pretty short. I had 2 weeks planned for Maine alone, and I wasn't going to be able to fit in everything on that list.
Old Jul 5th, 2017, 03:45 AM

Agreed, availability could be a major issue here. Am also assuming you have a car. If so and you did Maine alone in a week with these options, would probably have this itinerary:

--2 days in Ogunquit, York, or the Kennebunks. Plenty here between the three town areas.

--2 days in Portland (you could go to Old Orchard Beach from here as a day trip, though it's too honky-tonk for some tastes).

--2 days in Bar Harbor.

--1 day up near Baxter State Park (not sure of the best place). Leave most of the day for what is reportedly serious hiking (haven't been here).

There's nothing much worth seeing in Bangor. And with a trip this short, I'd leave Monhegan and Boothbay for another time.

There a loads of other good Maine towns, but this encompasses your list fairly well.
Old Jul 5th, 2017, 05:13 AM

For Baxter State Park, looks like there are several lodging options in nearby Millinocket.
Old Jul 5th, 2017, 05:17 AM

Looks like you could spend several days in Baxter State Park. Here's an interesting website:

http://mainetoday.com/maine-travel/t...h-maine-woods/
Old Jul 5th, 2017, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Once again thanks bundle for the info..
Flying from Atlanta to Boston 29 July to till 9th August. (With 2+2)And not booked hotels yet. Still thinking to go with trailer. How safe is it with 3 yr olds and this will our first . Please suggest the must visits and days of stay in those place and whatever is best. Pls assist me in planning a proper itinerary for our trip would be much appreciated and helpful
Old Jul 5th, 2017, 06:55 PM

You mean a camping trailer? In that case, you really need to check to see if the campgrounds in the places you want to visit have availability. I think that availability may be tougher than hotel availability.
Old Jul 6th, 2017, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

So far I've chosen to cover these from 28th July to 9th aug
Boston, MA (1day)
Portsmouth, NH (1day)
Portland, ME (1 day)
Acadia National Park, ME (1-2-days)
White Mountains, NH (2 days)
Burlington, VT (1-2 day(s)
Route 100, VT (1 day)
Newport, RI (1 day)
Cape Cod, MA (1days)

Pls suggest the must visits in those areas and Do's don'ts
Old Jul 8th, 2017, 01:36 AM

On vacation and using new namw.
First, if you haven't pulled a trailer before, it,s not a good idea to start esp with dily changes in location. Depending on size of trailer you could need a pickup trick with a crew cab. Motorhome is not practical for city driving and even parking lots. For example, tou need to park at far end of parking lot with no other cars around unless special spaces are a ailable for campers.

Your list is too ambitious with a young child since it requires hours of driving. You are also hauling luggage in and out of hotels each day. I would cut out RI and the Cape. Add a nice beach area, maybe York ME for child to enjoy. Depending on what you want to do in Portland, just visit for part of day on your way to Acadia.

The northern route from Acadia to White Mountains is very rural. Storyland in Glen NH is popular for young children. From th North Conway area you can drive the popular Kancamagus Hwy but do a loop that includes a visit to Squam Lakes science center in Holderness to see NH wild animals in native habitat. 3 years old is a little young for this but i think whole family would enjoy.

I would arrange your schedule to cisit Norwich VT on a satirday to enjoy the farmers market. There is music and parents with young children like to sit and listen. You can also buy prepared food for breakfast or linch. NEar by is Montshire Museum for children. Bring bathing suits for children so they can enjoy outdoor water play.

Our son and his family have been on a cross country camping trip. They googled playgrounds and parks to find places for children to play for a break from long drives. Some rural ice cream stands have nice playgrounds. Beech Hill farm near Concord NH has farm animals and giant sand pile with toy trucks for children to enjoy. POrtsmouth NH has some nice city playgrounds.
Old Jul 8th, 2017, 04:27 AM

We were in Maine around that same time last year and traffic was pretty heavy around from Portland to Boothbay Harbor. Be aware when planning your stops. Have a great trip!
Old Jul 8th, 2017, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot frostedmom.. very informative
Old Jul 10th, 2017, 01:21 AM

Our Portland ME quick visit completed with time spent on the Eastern Promenade overlooking Casco Bay. This is a great example of a beautiful park area that never gets mentioned. There's free parking and one area includes the boat launch so some park all day. We found a shady spot with a half decent view of the water on a busy Saturday afternoon. Families were picnicking and others were enjoying the sun. At the far end there was a nice looking playground. Good example of a family rest stop. Just bring some snacks and beverages.

Our shady spot was a tree next to the access road. We were a little surprised that the harbor master pulled along side us. I thought he was going to tell us to get off the grass but, no, he took the time to tell us a thunderstorm was coming in about an hour and suggested we think about leaving before the rain hit.

We have not taken any of the tours in Portland except for the mail boat cruise around Casco Bay. We saw duckboat, trolley, and fire engine tours driving around town. There was also a short train ride along the shore/ Eastern Promenade section.