5 days in Sweden

Old Jun 17th, 2017, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 days in Sweden

Hi...We have 5 days in Sweden in September. We will be in Stockholm for 2 days and then need to end up in Copenhagen to fly to Edinburgh so our visit will be in the southern part of Sweden. The only place we do have to visit is Borholm Island (husbands family is from there). Recommendations on route/transportation please....would stops/spending the night in Vaxjo and/or Ystad work? Is the train an option or should we just rent a car? Any other towns we should stop in?
Thank you!
Old Jun 17th, 2017, 09:26 AM
kja

Are you sure that 2 days in Stockholm will be sufficient for what you want to see and do there? IME, many people find 5 days about right for that magnificent city....
Old Jun 17th, 2017, 09:40 AM

5 days is not enough to see Stockholm, Bornholm (which is part of Denmark), Växjö and Ystad. For a start, there are big distances between these places. Do you have extra days allocated for Copenhagen?
Old Jun 17th, 2017, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Odin...Copenhagen is just to catch our flight to Scotland.

kja...I am on limited time unfortunately. Since Bornholm is a priority, would I be better off taking the train from Stockholm to Vaxjo for a night and then the train from Vaxjo to Ystad to pick up the ferry to Bornholm? Train from Ystad to Copenhagen airport?

I really appreciate your input.
Old Jun 18th, 2017, 03:08 AM

There are direct flights from CPH to Rønne but none AFAIK from Sweden. A train journey from Stockholm to Ystad requires changes and if you throw Växjö into the mix, the train journey requires more changes. Contrary to what you read on this forum, Swedish trains are quite unreliable.

What is in Växjö that is of interest? Most small Swedish towns are uninteresting, with exceptions. I would drive from Stockholm to Ystad and take the rental car on the catamaran to Bornholm but there is a problem of dropping off the car in CPH which would incurr hefty one way drop off fees. It might be possible to drop off the rental car in Malmö central station and you can take the train back to CPH airport (try Sixt).

In Bornholm, Gudhjem (God's Home) is a beautiful place to stay and Sol over Gudhjem is a speciality of the region, as Bornholm has smoke houses.
Old Jun 19th, 2017, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Odin...thank you for such good information. I am currently reworking our itinerary based on it. Also, what are the exceptions to the interesting small Swedish towns?
Old Jun 19th, 2017, 09:56 AM

I like Vadstena, Lund, Norrtalje, the area around Arild, Ängelholm & Torekov (Kullaberg nature reserve), Karlskona, Sofiero in Helsingborg. Places on my list to visit, Trosa & Ystad, Uppsala, Visby on Gotland, Daniel Berlin's restaurant. There are others, but these I have either been to or know about.
Old Aug 6th, 2017, 07:34 AM

Saving